LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 280
0 members and 280 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Using the Search Feature

A number of people have asked me about the search feature on this board, so I thought I would give a bit more of an explanation.

This board came with a feature that let you search by username, but we took that out. You can still type in someone's username, but it will only come up if that name is in the body of the post.

As far as how to use the search feature, first, obviously, you need to click on search.

You will see you have an option to search by keyword. I believe we have it so you have to have at least 3 or 4 letters in a word to search it.

You can search all forums or specific forums. You want to make sure that you click on the choice that shows results as posts not as threads. If you show results as threads you'll just get the name of the thread, not very useful. If you show results as posts you will get a list of every post in which whatever word(s) you are searching for are used.

For example, I was looking for information on a story someone mentioned about Skadden. I knew the post was in the Fashionista board, so I simply clicked on search, chose the Fashionista forum, typed Skadden in the search box, clicked on show results as posts, and I quickly was able to access all of the posts in question in the Fashionista forum that contained the word Skadden.

The search feature is actually reasonably advanced. You can, for example, use connectors to join words, so you can limit your search. Say for example I was interested only in Skadden New York. I could search for Skadden and York. I can also use a wildcard (an *) if I am uncertain how to spell something or want to search for a word that can have a variety of different endings.