LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 156
0 members and 156 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #1
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

How do I read this %$#@! Site?!

Ok, this board is different from the old board, no doubt about it. However, most people have found once they take a little time and become used to the different features, it actually isn't very hard to follow.

I am writing this post because every few days, someone new comes along and says why can't you make this board look just like the old board? The answer is software.

We purchased a piece of software called Vbulletin to run this board. Before we purchased it we looked far and wide for software that had an index. We couldn't find one. At least not within a price range affordable to a board being run on donations.

Keep in mind though that an incredible number of sites out there are being run on similar software. They use these threaded discussion forums to great effect. So given the number of boards out there that have thousands of members and tens of thousands of posts, using similar if not the same software, I think it reasonable to assume, in time, we will all get used to this software and before you know it, it will be second nature to you.

There is a reason we picked Vbulletin. One is the incredible support available through the individuals who wrote the software as well as a strong community of people who are happy to provide hacks, or modifications that we sometimes implement (such as numbering of posts which we implemented last night) or just general support if something goes wrong.

Two is that the people who write Vbulletin are presently working on an upgrade. When that upgrade is complete and we are sure it is free from bugs, we will install it. And at that time, we will, in fact, have a form of an index for the different threads. If you would look to see an example of what I mean, please go to Vbulletin. You will see that there are options that read Linear, Hybrid and Threaded. These options will enable each user to determine how he or she wants to read the board.

We will keep you up to date as the progress of the software moves forward. At this point however I hesitate to give you a date when we plan to install it, since it is still in private beta testing over at Vbulletin.

For the meanwhile, there are a variety of tools that you may not know about that already exist in this site that make it pretty easy to read. So they don't get lost in this rather long post, I will place a new post after this one, and explain these different features.

As always, if you have any questions or freedback, please feel free to email me at leagleaze@hotmail.com, or all of the Admins by clicking on the Contact Admin link, which you will see on the left side of the board.