LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 103
0 members and 103 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Spanky
For what it's worth

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Why not ask him to confirm in writing with an actual signature that all digital signatures in the document are valid and have not been forged?

You can start your research here , which suggests generally it's okay with limitations (consult your lawyer)
I realize the definition of an e signature is vague. But I don't think these signatures qualify as E - signatures. An E-signature seems to imply that the person intended to sign the document using an electronic method. Like using an electronic pen, or clicking on some button where they are asked if they intend to sign the document.

The signatures I am referring to are not really that. It is similar to if somone took a document signed by someone, xeroxed it, cut out that signature and then glued the cut out signature onto the pleading document and then filed it.

That is what we have here except it was done electronically. This signature was copied from another document, put in a jpeg (or something similar) form and then pasted on this pleading. You can tell this not only because the signatures are an exact match, but there are little dots behind the signatures that create a perfect rectangle around the signature showing that it was copied from another document.

There is absolutely no evidence that the person whose signature is on the document ever saw the document. Any person with a document with this persons signature on it could have done this. They could have just scanned it in, copied it and pasted it. I think the clear intention of the courts was that these forms be filled out on the computer, then printed and then signed. Not have a signature copied from another document and then that sigature be pasted onto the document and then printing out the document.

The original document was not signed.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote