LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 388
0 members and 388 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcvAEbMwW2Q

I assume the answer to your question is: Because the NFL specifically gave teams leeway to manipulate the balls quarterbacks use within set guidelines so that quarterbacks could use balls that were a little worn or, less or more inflated, depending on their individual tastes*, as long as they remained within a standard range set by the league. They set up a procedure where the balls would be tested 2 hours before the game to make sure teams complied with that rule.

The balls that are used for the kicking game are not to be manipulated at all, but they are still taken out of their packaging the same 2 hours before the game and, I assume, taken out to the field with the other balls. Seems pretty consistent.

The reason for the two different standards is beyond me. Maybe quarterbacks have more say with the League than kickers. Maybe there's a tremendous difference in how the football flies when it is kicked based on changes to pressure or how worn it is. Maybe the NFL wants kicking to be more consistent than passing.

In any case, your argument is still completely fucking ridiculous. Stick with everyone else and say that Goodell is punishing you guys inordinately to try to show everyone he's going to enforce league rules after the awful year he's had.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball

TM

*Something Brady (among others) specifically lobbied for.
Perhaps Burger will next make a case that, if the MLB really cared about corked bats, they’d make the batter hand the bat to the umpire before he was allowed to step into the batter’s box.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote