LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 161
0 members and 161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #254
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
While this may be true, the bigger problem is that people don't even see inequality. If I hear, "But I worked hard for what I have," from some jackass who went to private school, came from money, was given internships and starter jobs through daddy's connections, traveled the world, was a legacy at every school he ever went to, was given his first car plus the down payment on their house and didn't pay for their wedding, and who married into even more money, getting me the fuck out of your local Starbucks is going to be the least of your problems.

TM
They see it. They don't like to acknowledge it. They forget that working hard is easy. It's getting into the game that's hard. And it's hard because, like any concert you've been to in the past decade or so, the really good tickets are already sold to a pile of well heeled corporate insiders. Or maybe an IPO is a better example. All the early placements are already handed out to the preferred, already affluent clients. Joe Sixpack ain't getting in on Facebook early. He has to wait for the first dip to get a taste.

Nobody tells the non-connected kids life is a giant business development enterprise, and having an already deep Rolodex is worth 15 years of hard work. (And that one lucky break - meeting that life changing business connection at a party, or getting that $$$$$$$ case referral - is worth 30 years of hard work.)

"It's random, hard work guarantees little, acumen is cheap, and who you know is paramount... Hope you picked your parents well," doesn't appear in any self help literature. But that's only because we're a full of shit culture that worships Horatio Alger myths, and pretends the Actual Rules don't apply.