LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 218
0 members and 218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #70
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

What happens to an issue deferred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
STFU dim- Long ago in a galaxy far away, a cat named Darth Vader (didn't wear tailored clothes, but had a certain flair) lost a thing called the Death Star..... TWICE. First time, he could hardly be blamed, but second time the thing was under construction. Rather than realizing that his every resource needed to be put into finishing the construction, he diverted a lot of his resources into chasing every rebel rat into every rat hole. And then the yet to be finished Death Star II got blown up. I don't know if he also diverted internet conversation to gender/race issues (actually he also had species issues to deal with, so he might have really gone far afield), but anyway, a Sebby-like focus on goal 1 might have saved the Empire, is all I'm saying.
This is pissing me off. Truly. And we've discussed this idea that if Hillary had been more willing to make shit up in every jurisdiction in swing states about how she would bring back evaporated jobs than actually propose achievable job-related goals, she'd be in better shape. We also discussed how much of Trump's support is just straight up racist, xenophobic, anti-Muslim, misogynist bullshit. But if you buy this Sebby/Maher approach where we put all issues that are important to the fucking people who actually make up the Democratic Party on back burners, you think that's the solution to a big win?

And when we talk about the economy-related issues important to swing voters, that's just another way of saying, "Let's save poor and middle class whites' jobs." Because racism and the effects of institutional racism affects income for blacks and Hispanics in a much more direct and impactful way. When the economy is good, blacks' unemployment rates are way higher. When it goes bad, they're the first to lose their jobs, last to recover, and experience levels of unemployment multiples greater than whites. Blacks are told, "Pull yourself up by your fucking bootstraps" by whites who are complaining about the fucking coal jobs they are furious they lost. And I'm not even going to discuss the threat to personal safety that minorities would like to address with "identity politics" that is so low on white people's list of priorities. But the fact that white people place terrorism about 18 notches higher because they are included as targets seems significant, doesn't it?

I hate using the term, "privilege," because it's one of those terms those on the right have managed to demonize such that people's brains shut the fuck down whenever they hear it. But this is the absolute height of fucking white people privilege. So, if you're with Sebby on this, you and he can take turns sucking all the dicks.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 05-04-2017 at 11:01 AM..