LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 122
0 members and 122 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #3104
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Here comes the waterfall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Re understanding, a lot of men didn't understand just how pervasive this sh*t is. But the real issue is not understanding that the behavior is wrong. Everyone pretty much understands that. Glenn Thrush would make passes at junior colleagues and then tell his co-workers that they had made passes at him. He knew exactly what he was doing. The bigger problem is a refusal to acknowledge that a lot of people -- men, mostly -- understand that behavior isn't socially acceptable and yet do it anyway because it makes them feel better. Just as Adam Serwar's big article in The Atlantic describes how whites vote for and like politicians making racial appeals, but deny that's what they're doing or why.
There was more than a little irony in my last paragraph there. I get your point. I had no idea it's this pervasive, and I've been involved in settling a number of these claims.

Occam would suggest a good bit of this is hormones taking over the brain of males with time on their hands and off the chart egos. It'd be analytical malpractice to investigate this as a purely social and entirely non-biological situation. It's not surprising to hear that Weinstein was generally abusive to both sexes in addition to being a rapist. And as one thinks back on the guys you've known who've engaged in harassment, three groups tend to appear:

1. Selfish geeks who cannot natively attract women (a lot of the Hollywood guys so far);
2. Douchebags;
3. Violent or deviant assholes (the kinds of guys who'd beat people up in high school).

Examples of A: Ratner, NYTimes guy, C.K.
Examples of B: Pivin, Franken, Besh
Examples of C: Weinstein, Toback