LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 311
0 members and 311 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #3975
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Color-blind Nationalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You credit Trump with thinking there. That's too much credit. His response there is idiotic even for someone trying to dodge. That whole presser was simply... unhinged.
I disagree. It was a knee-jerk reaction to having to deal with something he said that was clearly racist. It was completely defensive and he used it to side-step the issue completely. Whether or not he is a complete fucking moron is completely beside the point.

Quote:
I agree "I'm colorblind" is often a dodge. But you might also consider the intent, which is important:

1. The speaker's attempt to not discuss race simply because he does not wish to discuss that topic. Kind of like when people who don't want to talk about something heavy or potentially divisive will shift the conversation. "So... How about those Mets?"
I see. So, "It's just too heavy, man," doesn't read to you as "This is not really my problem. I can avoid it when it feels even slightly inconvenient or uncomfortable for me. You go ahead and hold on to it, why don't you?"

Having the fucking luxury to pick and choose when you feel like dealing with or addressing something that affects other people constantly -- especially when someone is responding to something you just said -- is exactly the problem.

Quote:
2. The person is someone like me, who feels the compulsion to demonstrate that he views things entirely logically as much as possible. I'm not afraid of someone calling me a racist because they think I'm actually racist. People who get into a conversation on that topic would quickly realize I'm not. But I am extremely insecure about being seen as someone who'd allow an irrational ethos like bigotry to infect his thinking. You may tell me that I'm unconsciously racist for any number of reasons which have been offered here, and I can accept that. But somebody thinking I'm susceptible to the illogical arguments of intentional racist thinking would infuriate me as he'd be insulting my capacity to reason. I'd be compelled to offer some form of purely intellectual response to that person, along the lines of, "Physical attributes used to categorize people as one 'race' or another are utterly deficient measuring sticks in every conceivable regard." And I can see how that would look like a dodge.
First, I think you are the only person who would describe your take on things as "entirely logical." How you got your fingers to type that is surely no small feat.

Second, I don't understand the entire point of what you just wrote. You have set up a scenario in which someone has mistaken something you said as racist and then crafted a response based on how logical you are. The whole thing is very fucking weird and I don't understand what it has to do with anything I or we have been discussing up to this point.

Quote:
Some of these "dodges" aren't born of insecurity, guilt, or lack of comfort with the subject. It does not undo your point, and is not intended to do so, but I do think it's worthwhile to note the existence of that differentiation.
I find it amazing that you either cannot or will not see the substance of the points I'm making or simply would rather just talk on the periphery because it's more pleasant to be out there. In any case, this shit is exhausting.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 11-08-2018 at 03:58 PM..