LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 159
0 members and 159 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #1943
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Godwin does say we can call a fascist a fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I can actually give more credence to certain Scientologists. Because you know they know it's all bullshit and they're only in it for career advancement.

Everybody with at least half of a brain knows it's a scam, and that if you're in the entertainment industry, it's a stealth guild. You join, you pay, you get hooked up with business. The calculation people apply is, "How many multiples of the tithe and annoyance of this goofy club will I reap from joining?" (I imagine that's why so many stars openly make fun of it without fear of being branded intolerant. If you're working your ass off to make it and some hack who only got a part because his dad is Travolta's accountant is on set with you, I'd say you've a right to be irritated.)

But as to the small percentage of Scientologists who actually believe in the "faith," despite the voluminous evidence that L. Ron Hubbard was a cynical conman who makes Trump look like a choirboy, and that the whole "religion" is insane science fiction (regardless of whether the rumor about its accruing from a bet between Hubbard and Isaac Asimov is true or not), those people are first team imbeciles. I mean, sincerely, demented idiots who deserve nothing more than to be laughed at and refused participation in normal society. In this regard, Scientologists are unique. Each is either a cynical operator, or a dangerously deluded moron. No gradations in between.
Unique, or disturbingly similar to Trump's following?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar