LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 192
0 members and 192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #2356
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Yikes.

Quote:
At first it sounded like hyperbole, the escalation of a Twitter war. But now it’s clear that Bob Corker’s remarkable New York Times interview—in which the Republican senator described the White House as “adult day care” and warned Trump could start World War III—was an inflection point in the Trump presidency. It brought into the open what several people close to the president have recently told me in private: that Trump is “unstable,” “losing a step,” and “unraveling.”

The conversation among some of the president’s longtime confidantes, along with the character of some of the leaks emerging from the White House has shifted. There’s a new level of concern. NBC News published a report that Trump shocked his national security team when he called for a nearly tenfold increase in the country’s nuclear arsenal during a briefing this summer. One Trump adviser confirmed to me it was after this meeting disbanded that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called Trump a “moron.”

In recent days, I spoke with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president who seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods. Trump’s ire is being fueled by his stalled legislative agenda and, to a surprising degree, by his decision last month to back the losing candidate Luther Strange in the Alabama Republican primary. “Alabama was a huge blow to his psyche,” a person close to Trump said. “He saw the cult of personality was broken.”
VF
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #2357
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: What are we doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Finally, I'm glad to see you acknowledge that soccer actually requires skills -- I seem to recall this being a bit of a change in perspective from many years ago.
No. That's not true. The game didn't appeal to me because of the lack of scoring, the flopping, and the fact that games end in ties way too often (and I still think the offsides rule needs serious revision). I always thought the players were amazingly skilled and even when I didn't have the same appreciation of the game I do now, would post amazing goals and saves that were beyond impressive.

TM
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #2358
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
We left WCFC for a different travel team/academy for a number of reasons. But here are their facilities:

Main field and field house:

Full facilities layout (including dedicated parking):

Please notice that every field is fully lit for night games. And we played other academies whose (multiple) facilities are bigger and way nicer. Kids must buy new uniforms every single year even though the colors and designs rarely change. They're not trying to bring the budget down. They're trying to blow it up to draw the money. That's what they want. They don't give a shit about actual development. They want to grow their business. I saw kids who were amazing playing NPL who should have been on ECNL teams within the same club! They don't move them up. In fact, the new thing is getting an academy classification and bringing in kids from somewhere else to spend money on that new and highest level. Hell, the head of player development at WCFC told me that my daughter was the best goalie he has, but he couldn't move her up because the parents of the girl who had been playing at a higher level would be upset and might leave. And they have multiple kids playing, so...

This shit is a business. They don't give a fuck about the kids. We left and went to a smaller program with a coach who is actually focused on developing kids and having fun.

TM
My son and daughter both played travel. My girl for the local dad coached cheap team. My son for the team having "coaches with accents" ( "I played pro in England so pay me") Son's teams was forever screwed by this type problem. no one kicked off if the 'rents could float a check, and no one benched ever even if the word pass was not even in their vocabulary. It is bullshit. As near as I can tell one kid from all of their teammates got a scholarship.

The thing that really opened my eyes was when my kids started reffing. They were 13. They could ref rec league U-13, or any U-8 (pre-travel). No travel games at first. The U-8 having a mix of the kids that will be travel and those that will be rec was a problem. Or more accurately the U-8 parents of the kids that will be travel were. I would drive them to ref, and so I'd watch. Those U-8 parents would be screaming like mad people, and I just thought how can you watch these little kids playing and scream like that? But i also realized I had too, and was currently doing the same for my kids in their older leagues.* We shouldn't change any of it so the US can make the World Cup, but we should maybe ban parents from watching so that kids can just have fun.

*Don't even ask me what I had to become to deal with rival coaches in travel basketball, or my greatest shame, yelling at Canadian b-ball refs at a Gus Macker in London Ontario, when I went into what was required to get fair treatment v. the yelling US coaches. Canadians didn't yell. i'm surprised they didn't try to hospitalize me.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #2359
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
No. That's not true. The game didn't appeal to me because of the lack of scoring, the flopping, and the fact that games end in ties way too often (and I still think the offsides rule needs serious revision). I always thought the players were amazingly skilled and even when I didn't have the same appreciation of the game I do now, would post amazing goals and saves that were beyond impressive.

TM
O.K., fair enough, I can't really remember all the details of the great soccer debates from many years ago.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #2360
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Yikes.

VF
It's time to send Trump out to coach the USMNST. #MAGA
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #2361
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Enh. I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you have a kid who is clearly a star and needs that talent developed (sports, chess, music, or anything, really), then you'll do it. But if your kid really just loves something, manage your own expectations and do what you can to help them spend time doing whatever that is.

My hope is that my kid can use sports to help her resume for really good D-III schools. I'm not one of these lunatics who is shooting for a scholarship. And, frankly, if your kid gets a scholarship to a shitty D-II school or a crappy D-I school, is that the best thing for them or you?

TM
Knowing her parents, I don't see any way she'd wind up with an athletic scholarship anyway.

Last edited by Adder; 10-11-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #2362
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Shit is crazy. My mom used the: "Go outside and find someone to play with, but be home by ____" method, as did all my friends' parents. When my daughter was young enough that I was taking her to playgrounds, I had to tell her to go up to kids and ask if they wanted to play or if she could play too. Much anxiety ensued until she actually did it and then had lots of fun. Hell, as recently as 3 years or so ago, I had to tell her to go ask a group of adults and kids playing an unorganized soccer game if she could play. Had a ball, of course.

I wouldn't do that now. She'd embarrass and anger them. I can't even play around with her anymore in soccer. It's completely pointless for her and for me. I clearly suck, but I can't believe how skilled she and her friends are. It is amazing.

I make sure I beat her soundly when we play basketball or ping pong, though. No mercy.

TM
I read an article last week that gave lots and lots of props to your mom (and I suspect all of our mom's) method last week: https://byrslf.co/thoughts-on-the-ve...g-14af397cee2c (second half of the piece).
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #2363
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I read an article last week that gave lots and lots of props to your mom (and I suspect all of our mom's) method last week: https://byrslf.co/thoughts-on-the-ve...g-14af397cee2c (second half of the piece).
You can’t decide to be that type parent. Your neighborhood decides.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #2364
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I make sure I beat her soundly when we play basketball or ping pong, though. No mercy.

TM
I will normally beat 90% of any random group of ping pong players. However, I was invited over by a new neighbor to watch the recent GGG fight...and I got torched...several times. I was probably the second to worst player there. Just a great gathering of ping pong talent.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #2365
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I will normally beat 90% of any random group of ping pong players. However, I was invited over by a new neighbor to watch the recent GGG fight...and I got torched...several times. I was probably the second to worst player there. Just a great gathering of ping pong talent.
I've got a niece who is seriously into table tennis. Plays competitively, travels far and wide. It's a mind-blowingly cool game to see played really well.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #2366
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I don't know. I think a lot of people decide not to be even when their neighborhood would allow for it. Yesterday someone was telling me about how the 8 year old isn't allowed to walk down the alley by herself to play with her 9 year old. Like, what are you doing to your kid?

Although I don't know how old the kid will need to be before she's allowed to walk or ride her bike by herself to my niece's house 7 blocks away. She's probably be allowed to go that way well before she's allowed to venture in the other direction where the busy street is.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #2367

Quote:
My son and daughter both played travel. My girl for the local dad coached cheap team. My son for the team having "coaches with accents" ( "I played pro in England so pay me") Son's teams was forever screwed by this type problem. no one kicked off if the 'rents could float a check, and no one benched ever even if the word pass was not even in their vocabulary. It is bullshit. As near as I can tell one kid from all of their teammates got a scholarship.

The thing that really opened my eyes was when my kids started reffing. They were 13. They could ref rec league U-13, or any U-8 (pre-travel). No travel games at first. The U-8 having a mix of the kids that will be travel and those that will be rec was a problem. Or more accurately the U-8 parents of the kids that will be travel were. I would drive them to ref, and so I'd watch. Those U-8 parents would be screaming like mad people, and I just thought how can you watch these little kids playing and scream like that? But i also realized I had too, and was currently doing the same for my kids in their older leagues.* We shouldn't change any of it so the US can make the World Cup, but we should maybe ban parents from watching so that kids can just have fun.

*Don't even ask me what I had to become to deal with rival coaches in travel basketball, or my greatest shame, yelling at Canadian b-ball refs at a Gus Macker in London Ontario, when I went into what was required to get fair treatment v. the yelling US coaches. Canadians didn't yell. i'm surprised they didn't try to hospitalize me.
My kids play field hockey and...oh god what have I become? FIELD HOCKEY? Pretty soon someone is going to try to get me to join a country club.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I've got a niece who is seriously into table tennis. Plays competitively, travels far and wide. It's a mind-blowingly cool game to see played really well.
It's such a fun...sport? It's a blast to watch when it's played well.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #2369
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
That is a great piece. It makes perfect sense to me.

TM
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #2370
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
What do you mean?

TM
Closed Thread