LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 233
0 members and 233 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #3571
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Huh? There's huge political upside in debating whether she is Native American. Or, more accurately, asserting she is not.

First, you don't ask whether she traded on the heritage or not. You just say she did so repeatedly until that it becomes a reality for a lot of conservatives and sympathetic independents. Second, you cite an expert like the guy from the Boston Globe who said she was only 1/64th-1/1024th Native American repeatedly until that sticks as well. Leave her to argue that 1/64th-1/1024th isn't well within a margin of error.

Trump will do the first, but is too lazy to do the second, which involves reading, numbers, and perhaps rudimentary understanding of statistics.
I meant for Warren there is no upside. I think we agree.

Quote:
But this is all academic. I'd be surprised if Warren got any traction, for quite unrelated reasons. Wall Street, banks generally, and almost all large corporations hate her. She's going to be starved of that campaign funding, while it goes to someone else, and to PACs aimed at making sure she is never the nominee. Warren has to take on both the Right and Moderate Left money machines. You might say this is indistinguishable from Bernie. I think that's incorrect. Bernie was actually getting a lot of support from the Right, which viewed him as a weaker candidate than Clinton and a weapon with which to hobble Hillary. Warren will find no such stealth allies. She'd be a true little guy vs. the corporate state candidate. That's a near unwinnable proposition.
I think you are underestimating her. Wall Street, banks generally, and large corporations do not vote in Democratic primaries. (They don't vote at all!)
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #3572
Not Bob

Quote:
TM
The “Lighten up, Francis” avatar is back!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #3573
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Beating Hillary in 2016 was an almost impossible wall for Bernie. 2020 dems do not have that problem- who is the accepted stakeholder? and even if she starts the outsider, fucking outsiders can win- in re Trump
Two things:

I stand corrected about Trump being too lazy to use statistics: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...debacle-thanks

And, the people who wish to preserve their advantages in the status quo (those who don’t care much about the candidate or party but worry about structural reform) aren’t going to allow another 2016 to occur. The corporate state, the establishment, whatever you call it - these people are going to throw endless cash at the task of avoiding any further progressive or populist agendas. They like Trump’s tax policies, but what they like a lot more are stability and predictability.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #3574
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
And, the people who wish to preserve their advantages in the status quo (those who don’t care much about the candidate or party but worry about structural reform) aren’t going to allow another 2016 to occur. The corporate state, the establishment, whatever you call it - these people are going to throw endless cash at the task of avoiding any further progressive or populist agendas. They like Trump’s tax policies, but what they like a lot more are stability and predictability.
Could someone translate this into English for me?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #3575
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I think you are underestimating her. Wall Street, banks generally, and large corporations do not vote in Democratic primaries. (They don't vote at all!)
Maybe. But her winning would be a revolution. Trump is throwback candidate. He’s trying to wind back the clock to an old status quo. Warren seeks to totally flip the current status quo.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #3576
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Could someone translate this into English for me?
She’s the candidate most hated by those benefiting the most from our current inequitable economy.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #3577
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
She’s the candidate most hated by those benefiting the most from our current inequitable economy.
As we all recall, the fact that Trump was the most hated candidate in the GOP primary was fatal, and we never heard from him again.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #3578
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Maybe. But her winning would be a revolution. Trump is throwback candidate. He’s trying to wind back the clock to an old status quo. Warren seeks to totally flip the current status quo.
So Trump following Obama taught you nothing?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #3579
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I have underestimated her in the past.

She should not be underestimated.

I probably won't be supporting her in the early going, but I wouldn't dismiss her and she is likely going to be a survivor as a very large field gets winnowed down.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #3580
LessinSF2

Quote:
I stand corrected about Trump being too lazy to use statistics: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...debacle-thanks
The former flounder Cornholio, Esq. is quoted in that article. He lives.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #3581
Did you just call me Coltrane?

There's danger on the edge of town; Ride the King's Highway, baby

Looking on the bright side...we are witnessing the last dying gasp of whatever the Republican party* is. This is it. Once the boomers die, it's over. For good. What a generation. There's a reason conservatives have thrown out civility and are fighting dirty - because they have no choice. They know this is the end. Clarence Thomas is 70. Alito is 68. They'll be dead in 15 years. Let's convince them to euthanize themselves a la Welcome to the Monkey House so the demise happens sooner. Our kids will have to clean up the mess, but with boomers gone they'll actually be able to make some progress.

*The traditional Republican party is already dead.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #3582
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: There's danger on the edge of town; Ride the King's Highway, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Looking on the bright side...we are witnessing the last dying gasp of whatever the Republican party* is. This is it. Once the boomers die, it's over. For good. What a generation. There's a reason conservatives have thrown out civility and are fighting dirty - because they have no choice. They know this is the end. Clarence Thomas is 70. Alito is 68. They'll be dead in 15 years. Let's convince them to euthanize themselves a la Welcome to the Monkey House so the demise happens sooner. Our kids will have to clean up the mess, but with boomers gone they'll actually be able to make some progress.

*The traditional Republican party is already dead.
Wonk is a boomer- not cool to hate on him- especially not to suggest death
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #3583
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF2 View Post
The former flounder Cornholio, Esq. is quoted in that article. He lives.
He has apparently moved on to more important things:

https://mashable.com/2017/07/30/prie.../#RozWbYbKcaqW

I am not sorry.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #3584
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: There's danger on the edge of town; Ride the King's Highway, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Wonk is a boomer- not cool to hate on him- especially not to suggest death
Don’t be silly - Wonk is of The Greatest Generation.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #3585
sebastian_dangerfield

Khashoggi

This story is turning into something out of a horror movie: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/sau...reports-137960