LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 220
0 members and 220 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #1681
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Choosing what bigly bad to apply to different intentional murders is always a tough undertaking. There is also something heroic about standing up to these assholes, isn't there?
Certainly, just musing about levels of evil.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #1682
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Well, Trump is pretty fucking sexist, and I'd like to say the women I am closest to find him deplorable. My wife/daughter and DIL HATE him, but my sister and two 20 somethings nieces voted for him. Crazy. But point is there was certainly some pretty blatant sexism floating around.
Protip: Don't ever write "wife/daughter".
Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #1683
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Did even face fuck say the car guy was not bad?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d0d2cc83ff58 another fall out of the violence. This guy is 1) a star of The Parking Lot movie, about a bunch of very eccentric people working at a central UVA parking lot, and their battles with entitled yuppies (hi Ty!). 2) a good friend of a former sock here.

FWIW the car guy hit people who knew they were in a potential war zone fighting with lunatics. A terrorist, sure, but driving a van into people who were just going about their day is more like the kid who killed the people at the black church, isn't it? More bigly bad?
As a pattern, Trump doesn't call out right-wing terrorism. I don't think he really believes that it's not bad, although I'm not sure that he has much sense of morality that goes beyond what is good or bad for him.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #1684
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup sandwich View Post
Wow, hateful. The wife passed a few years back and the kid turned 27. How you gonna get the health care? (separate bedrooms btw)

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-17-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #1685
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
As a pattern, Trump doesn't call out right-wing terrorism. I don't think he really believes that it's not bad, although I'm not sure that he has much sense of morality that goes beyond what is good or bad for him.
Sure, not defending him at all, but to me terrorism, at it's core is fucking with people's belief in their safety during a normal moment. The van today, that was terrorism, the car was fucked up, but under that definition it is something else, the protesters knew they might be in harm's way.

Nazi Germany wasn't "terrorism" it was a country killing millions. And I don't know, I'm a dim bulb, and definitions don't mean much to me, and my fam is Jewie, I ain't immune to the Charlotteville hate, but the two seem different, not in degree of evil, but in spreading fear to peeps generally?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #1686
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Certainly, just musing about levels of evil.
I didn't say it wasn't possible, Dante wrote a pretty good poem about it, just an exercise fraught with some peril.

Where did Club go?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #1687
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Sure, not defending him at all, but to me terrorism, at it's core is fucking with people's belief in their safety during a normal moment. The van today, that was terrorism, the car was fucked up, but under that definition it is something else, the protesters knew they might be in harm's way.
I disagree with your definition. I would call it non-state-sponsored political violence. If the 9/11 hijackers had issued a threat to bomb the WTC, it would still have been terrorism.

Quote:
Nazi Germany wasn't "terrorism" it was a country killing millions. And I don't know, I'm a dim bulb, and definitions don't mean much to me, and my fam is Jewie, I ain't immune to the Charlotteville hate, but the two seem different, not in degree of evil, but in spreading fear to peeps generally?
Sure. In one case, part of the intent might be to tell people that if they protest they won't be safe. In the other case, part of the intent might be to tell people that they're never safe. Each is evil in its own way.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #1688
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Is sister/aunt ok?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #1689
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Is sister/aunt ok?

That's hot.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #1690
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Dude, I am highly sympathetic with your overall point of view here, and yet I would rather have dental surgery than engage with the rest of a post that starts like this.

ery.
Whatever. Expressing the opinion that reforming a criminal justice system built explicitly to be racist will be easier than people learning to accept their friends, neighbors, coworkers & children suggests that one has not grappled with the nature of the racism that pervades criminal justice.

And that one does not understand what happened with gay rights, for that matter.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #1691
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
That's hot.
What about brother/aunt?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #1692
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Whatever. Expressing the opinion that reforming a criminal justice system built explicitly to be racist will be easier than people learning to accept their friends, neighbors, coworkers & children suggests that one has not grappled with the nature of the racism that pervades criminal justice.

And that one does not understand what happened with gay rights, for that matter.
If you're working towards a rhetorical strategy to bring him around, you haven't quite found it yet.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #1693
sebastian_dangerfield

How America Lost Its Mind

Long, but worth every syllable. And it gets better as it reaches the end.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-mind/534231/
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #1694
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post

You understand nothing. You think you do. And the echo chambers in which you mastrubate left wing platitudes back and forth with fellow clueless travelers reinforce you in that delusion.

But it's still delusion, and you're a kid in short pants when it comes to thinking on these issues.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-18-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #1695
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You understand nothing. You think you do. And the echo chambers in which you mastrubate left wing platitudes back and forth with fellow clueless travelers reinforce you in that delusion.

But it's still delusion, and you're a kid in short pants when it comes to thinking on these issues.
I'm not seeing much difference in the empirical reality that both of you perceive. Sebby feels that it's counterproductive to emphasize the degree to which many people act out of prejudice and bigotry, and Adder feels that it's counterproductive to understate it. Both of you would like to pretend that the other is saying something extreme, rather than assuming the other has good motivations and might have a point.
Closed Thread