LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 455
0 members and 455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #766
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Show me the way to the next whiskey bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Just pointing out bourbon is a second-rate charm.
Try Blanton's.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #767
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Try Blanton's.
I do try the occasional bourbon, including Blantons, usually either when I'm in the Nashville area or when one particular friend is making up some mint juleps. But imho malt > corn and there is nothing to be done about that.

I've been sampling a number of Arak's recently. This is a great big world of spirits worth spending some time in.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #768
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I do try the occasional bourbon, including Blantons, usually either when I'm in the Nashville area or when one particular friend is making up some mint juleps. But imho malt > corn and there is nothing to be done about that.

I've been sampling a number of Arak's recently. This is a great big world of spirits worth spending some time in.
Blanton's is special because it can remind one of one's childhood, collecting the several distinct bottle tops!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #769
Hank Chinaski

Re: The wrong question

Quote:
That looks like an NYU dorm - it looks like she will likely stay in an NYU dorm, but it's not clear that one is among the ones that still have room left.

The tough thing is she's going to be doing site work, but won't find out her sites until she arrives. So she could end up working in Hudson Yards or she could end up on a project out near JFK.
good news will be she can find cheap rent "out near JFK." Not good transportation, but cheap rent.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #770
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

Back when I used to drink more, I collected aquavits. My liver cringes at the memory.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #771
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: The wrong question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
good news will be she can find cheap rent "out near JFK." Not good transportation, but cheap rent.
Looks like she's landing in an NYU dorm, so if she ends up having to report to work at 6:00 am at an interchange being built over the Rockaway Parkway we're going to have some massive Lyft bills.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #772
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Back when I used to drink more, I collected aquavits. My liver cringes at the memory.
A couple of years ago I had a dinner in Oslo where I was served over twenty aquavits.

I still shake my head remembering that one. I haven't had an aquavit since, and I kind of like aquavit.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #773
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

Bourbon lacks the complexity of scotch. It's more about the sugar content (usually presenting as carmel or vanilla) and the barrel.

Scotch is much more varied. The malts contain many more flavors, and they're not all in the nose, like bourbon.

I find bourbon preferable for conversation and with food. You kind of have to focus on scotch. It's a thing to savor. And if you eat the wrong thing with scotch, your receptors get mixed up and you lose some of the delicate taste. Bourbon's blunt and sweet. Whatever else you're doing or eating, the taste is dependable.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #774
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
We have the dumbest possible person running this country. I would rather have my coffee cart guy as President. Trump is a complete moron who has absolutely no idea what he's doing. He's a joke. And by extension, so are we.

Jesus fucking Christ.

TM
The Saudis and Israelis are having a lovefest at the moment. Trump does business with both, and working with them is much easier than working with a complex democracy-under-a-theocracy like Iran.

It's quite sad we haven't been able in all these years to punch through the Iranian religious authorities and develop a dialogue with the Iranian people. Of all the countries in the region, their polymorphous population and technically democratic government renders them the best natural ally for the US. We should have done more to help the Green Revolution.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #775
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: We are all Slave now.

We may be getting too focused on the Russia connection, because just as scandalous should be allegation that several companies were making large lump sum payments to Cohen for "consulting" and "insight." Such payment to someone close to the nominee (or was it President Elect at the time) would be huge FCPA red flags were they foreign...
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #776
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Bourbon lacks the complexity of scotch. It's more about the sugar content (usually presenting as carmel or vanilla) and the barrel.

Scotch is much more varied. The malts contain many more flavors, and they're not all in the nose, like bourbon.

I find bourbon preferable for conversation and with food. You kind of have to focus on scotch. It's a thing to savor. And if you eat the wrong thing with scotch, your receptors get mixed up and you lose some of the delicate taste. Bourbon's blunt and sweet. Whatever else you're doing or eating, the taste is dependable.
Shit may be more varied and complex tasting than scallops. Not really the question.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #777
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

The only way I have brown spirits with non-bar snack food if a course arrives before I've finished my aperitif. Wine and beer are for pairing with food. Booze is for sipping on it's own.

I guess if you're a scotch and soda sort of person that might be okay, but the only time I put stuff in my scotch is when my MIL buys me a bottle of the cheap-ass stuff that her brother recommended.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #778
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Shit may be more varied and complex tasting than scallops. Not really the question.
Even scallops can be more complex tasting than scallops, if caramelized with a bit of scotch.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #779
Not Bob

Quote:
Even scallops can be more complex tasting than scallops, if caramelized with a bit of scotch.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #780
Not Bob

Quote:
I like decent blended Scotch fine, but I prefer Irish, bourbon/sour mash, rye, and Japanese Scotch to the single malt stuff. Like with wine, I can’t tell the difference between single malts and good blends (unless it’s one of those single malts that taste like dirt or used charcoal).

Taste is subjective.
Closed Thread