LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 128
1 members and 127 guests
Adder
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #676
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So how is this different than saying right now people who voted third party in Mi Pa and Wi realized they were wrong, so we should have a new vote?
It's like letting those people realize they were wrong and have a new vote in 2020, which we are planning to do.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #677
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
It's like letting those people realize they were wrong and have a new vote in 2020, which we are planning to do.
Except we get to enjoy the fruits of our vote for those years.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #678
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
When all is said and done, David Cameron is going down in history for having screwed Britain with the referendum, and Theresa May is going down in history for fecklessly screwing up the aftermath. I'm not sure that Jeremy Corbyn won't be worse if he gets his shot.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #679
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Who Cares About Felicity Huffman, Biglaw is Involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This scheme started in 2011. That means there are a lot of kids out there who fraudulently got into college and have since graduated. What do they do with those degrees? Is it a mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa situation?

Suppose you fraudulently get in the college and then do exceptionally well there? Couldn’t one then make the argument you Belonged there?
Doesn't that depend on whether you went to a school that cares about its honor code or whether instead you went to Dartmouth?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #680
Hank Chinaski

So, my son is a drug addict (not opiates thank goodness). So the wife and I have been going to something called Families Anonymous. It's a 12 step program that attempts to give one tools to deal with issues. The 12 steps for FA track the AA 12 steps, but are directed to the family instead of the addict.

Step 4 is take an inventory- AA for the addict. FA is for the parents- the inventory is listing faults you need to work on, then step 5+ you start dealing with fixing that shit.

I was just looking at the worksheet for it. It says everyone can list faults in others. It paraphrased what most people say, like we all sit and listen to others in the meetings listing their faults thinking "Yeah, you're right, that is a fault you have." But then we say, "ourselves, we really got nothing wrong."

Then it gives some techniques to work through getting to your list. One is "list a strength then list a fault," kind of sugar coating. Then once you're done, it again paraphrases, "what were we afraid of? admitting we got some work to do wasn't so bad after all."

Anyhoo it kind of tracked what typically happens when a white person is accused of racism- "yes those people are racist, but me, you know I'm not." But then it helped take the next step. There should be a worksheet to help people get through accepting their own racism.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 03-13-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #681
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
So, my son is a drug addict (not opiates thank goodness). So the wife and I have been going to something called Families Anonymous. It's a 12 step program that attempts to give one tools to deal with issues. The 12 steps for FA track the AA 12 steps, but are directed to the family instead of the addict.

Step 4 is take an inventory- AA for the addict. FA is for the parents- the inventory is listing faults you need to work on, then step 5+ you start dealing with fixing that shit.

I was just looking at the worksheet for it. It says everyone can list faults in others. It paraphrased what most people say, like we all sit and listen to others in the meetings listing their faults thinking "Yeah, you're right, that is a fault you have." But then we say, "ourselves, we really got nothing wrong."

Then it gives some techniques to work through getting to your list. One is "list a strength then list a fault," kind of sugar coating. Then once you're done, it again paraphrases, "what were we afraid of? admitting we got some work to do wasn't so bad after all."

Anyhoo it kind of tracked what typically happens when a white person is accused of racism- "yes those people are racist, but me, you know I'm not." But then it helped take the next step. There should be a worksheet to help people get through accepting their own racism.
I'm really sorry that you and your family are going through this. It sounds, though, that you're doing what you can to get through it.

That's pretty fascinating about the inability to see wrong in ourselves.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #682
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Downward Departures for Gout

Quote:
The NY AG won’t do shit. That’s blustering.
How's that again?

Quote:
Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort was indicted by a New York state grand jury on mortgage fraud charges Wednesday, immediately after being sentenced to more than 7 years in prison in D.C. federal court.

The case is being brought by Manhattan District Attorney, Cy Vance, Jr.

Manafort is charged with 16 separate counts in New York state, including mortgage fraud, conspiracy, and falsifying business records.

In a statement, Vance said that a grand jury investigation begun in March 2017 had “yielded serious criminal charges for which the defendant has not been held accountable.”

Speculation has mounted that Trump could pardon his former campaign chairman on the federal charges, and Vance had been looking at state charges as a way to thwart Trump’s pardon.

Manafort is expected to object to the state charges on double jeopardy grounds.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...s-in-manhattan
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #683
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I'm really sorry that you and your family are going through this. It sounds, though, that you're doing what you can to get through it.
Didn't post it for sympathy, but thank you. The way it goes is that the worst is BEFORE you start dealing with it. Denial and bald hope are when it is hardest.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #684
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

Sorry to hear you're going through that issue. I hope it goes well and your child conquers the problem as quickly and completely as possible. That's got to be horribly painful.

There should be a worksheet to explain institutional racism. I don't think a lot of people understand how that works or how it's defined, which is a big part of the disconnect. There really are two forms of racism. One is personally acting or harboring racist views. Another is the societal structures all around us that perpetuate it. I think a lot of people confuse the two. I also think a lot of people accuse a person of being racist when the better way to state it without facing pushback would be to say "you're part of a racist system." If you get society, broadly, to accept that fact, who cares whether someone quibbles with whether he himself is personally a racist.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #685
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Fuck. First, I was wrong. Second, that's fucking insane. That office has prostituted itself for political reasons. I hope it blows up in their faces.

Manafort's a human snotball, no doubt. But the most vile of people don't deserve to be made pawns in a political game like this. An NY's citizens deserve better than a DA who injects himself into political battles. They already have an idiot mayor and governor doing that for them.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #686
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Who Cares About Felicity Huffman, Biglaw is Involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Doesn't that depend on whether you went to a school that cares about its honor code or whether instead you went to Dartmouth?
Hey! I work with some fine Darmouth folk. Say what you will -- they know how to have a good time.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #687
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
There really are two forms of racism. One is personally acting or harboring racist views. Another is the societal structures all around us that perpetuate it. I think a lot of people confuse the two. I also think a lot of people accuse a person of being racist when the better way to state it without facing pushback would be to say "you're part of a racist system." If you get society, broadly, to accept that fact, who cares whether someone quibbles with whether he himself is personally a racist.
I think what you are missing is that people -- in particular, white people, but really all people -- do an awful lot to perpetuate racism even if they don't personally act out of or harbor what you would call racist views. Societal structures are not made of stucco or brick -- they are people, acting consciously. They may not realize that they are perpetuating racism, but they are.

Someone who is willing broadly to accept that societal structures, broadly, are racist but who disagrees that he or she is personally involved in that is someone who is in denial and who will be part of the problem, not part of a solution.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #688
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Game, set, match.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #689
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Fuck. First, I was wrong. Second, that's fucking insane. That office has prostituted itself for political reasons. I hope it blows up in their faces.

Manafort's a human snotball, no doubt. But the most vile of people don't deserve to be made pawns in a political game like this. An NY's citizens deserve better than a DA who injects himself into political battles. They already have an idiot mayor and governor doing that for them.
Dude, he defrauded people. A lot. He's a criminal. If he is being prosecuted a second time for the same crime, the Double Jeopardy Clause should protect him. Cyrus Vance clearly doesn't think that's the case.

He's not a pawn in a political game. He got away with a lot of crimes for a long time. Then he got found out.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #690
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Game, set, match.
The UK has been enjoying Brexit in its own special way.
Closed Thread