LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 420
0 members and 420 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #1621
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
No time for reading politics. I’m knee deep on very important issues involving whether a dash in a Japanese document from 1975 was a minus sign or a hyphen. I’d love to do some outside reading but the economy is depending on me keeping my focus.
I solved this already. It's a minus sign. Move on.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #1622
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Bipartisanship today is indeed impossible. It's gone. I'd love to bring it back, but, let's face it, where is there a Republican we can trust or deal with in a position of authority? I know you don't think well of the Republican leadership, despite being committed to what were, historically, considered conservative ideals.

There are Republicans we can deal with, and if any of them were in power, there might be hope. For example, both Hatch and Graham have histories of being able to work across the aisle. McConnell? No way, fuck him. Hypocritical lying ass. Ryan? Total ass, can't be trusted. Trump's team?! [uncontrollable laughter.]
There are Republican asses and Democratic asses. The kind of people who want to legislate are usually willing to compromise, because that is the essence of the job. That's not the problem. The issue is, there are enough Republican voters who will punish Republican legislators for bipartisanship. Republicans have to worry about getting primaries from the right. Democrats haven't had to, though maybe that is starting to change.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #1623
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

One of the most interesting recent developments is that much derided and scorned Mitch McConnell has now become a folk hero to traditional conservatives, affectionately referred to as Cocaine Mitch. Leave it to creepy Blankenship and badass Elaine Chao to make McConnell actually likeable.

McConnell also has a pretty decently amusing social media team capitalizing on it, though they don't have quite the game of, say, Orrin Hatch's staff.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #1624
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
There are Republican asses and Democratic asses. The kind of people who want to legislate are usually willing to compromise, because that is the essence of the job. That's not the problem. The issue is, there are enough Republican voters who will punish Republican legislators for bipartisanship. Republicans have to worry about getting primaries from the right. Democrats haven't had to, though maybe that is starting to change.
I'm sure there is a good explanation for why they are asses, but I'm just concerned with the fact that they are. And there are just a lot more of them running the show over on the Republican side.

It would be nice if Congress did stuff like hold hearings on major bills, for example, even if the Rs are going to control those hearings. The legislation just ends up better when you have some input and review.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #1625
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
One of the most interesting recent developments is that much derided and scorned Mitch McConnell has now become a folk hero to traditional conservatives, affectionately referred to as Cocaine Mitch. Leave it to creepy Blankenship and badass Elaine Chao to make McConnell actually likeable.

McConnell also has a pretty decently amusing social media team capitalizing on it, though they don't have quite the game of, say, Orrin Hatch's staff.
Well, then, hoist him up on his petard and parade him about. Your hero.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #1626
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

in the spirit of bipartisanship, I hope that the Dems can support the bill requiring congressional approval of Section 232 tariffs imposed by a President. Corker says it will go up for a vote soon.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #1627
Not Bob

Quote:
I'm sure there is a good explanation for why they are asses, but I'm just concerned with the fact that they are. And there are just a lot more of them running the show over on the Republican side.

It would be nice if Congress did stuff like hold hearings on major bills, for example, even if the Rs are going to control those hearings. The legislation just ends up better when you have some input and review.
I don’t know when bipartisanship died, but it certainly was six feet under in 1993 when not a single GOP house member voted for the Clinton stimulus package and Bob Dole* led a GOP filibuster against it.

Chelsea Clinton’s current mother in law was the deciding vote in the House. She knowingly sacrificed** her seat to save the bill.

* “Bob Dole is going to filibuster this wasteful spending,” Senator Dole said. “The American people may have been snookered by that smooth-talking draft dodger in the White House, but Bob Dole won’t be!” the senator continued.

** One would think that President Clinton might have given her a job or something after she took a spear for him, but loyalty is usually a one way street in politics. Must have led to some awkwardness at the engagement party.

Last edited by Not Bob; 07-10-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #1628
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Meh on the SCOTUS pick. At least it wasn’t Hardiman, but Kavanaugh was the weakest of the top three. As much as I loved Kethledge for calling asset forfeiture “theft”, Barrett would have been the home run.

Oh well. Still better than anyone HRC would have nominated.
Apparently, you never had a chance - https://thinkprogress.org/trump-anth...73ecf/?ref=yfp
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #1629
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Not sure that's right -- maybe the fact that they are running the show just illuminates their assery more.

Quote:
It would be nice, but don't you think it's the case that the lack of such process has more to do with the challenges Republicans have in agreeing on anything with each other? Granted, the Hastert Rule is what makes that so critical.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #1630
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Apparently, you never had a chance - https://thinkprogress.org/trump-anth...73ecf/?ref=yfp
Less, you are such a naysayer. I, for one, welcome our new killer whale overlords.

Hat tip to the always-delightful Bess Levin:

Quote:
Since Donald Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedyon the Supreme Court, many have feared what a successful confirmation could mean for a host of issues, including abortion, guns, same-sex marriage, and health care. Equally worrisome, if one worries about the possibility of being scalped and dismembered by an orca? His exceedingly business-friendly views.

One fun example of the conservative judge’s take on workers’ rights is his dissent—the only one—in a case involving the SeaWorld trainer who was eaten by a killer whale during a performance in 2010, the third time the whale had been “involved in a human death.” While his colleagues upheld a prior ruling that the theme park had violated safety standards by “exposing . . . trainers to recognized hazards when working in close contact with killer whales during performances,” Kavanaugh thought that was bullshit, writing that lots of sports are dangerous, but that doesn’t mean the Labor Department should use its authority to implement regulations aimed at minimizing the chances that trainers will be eaten in full view of paying customers. “When should we as a society paternalistically decide,” Kavanaugh asked, “that the risk of significant physical injury is simply too great even for eager and willing participants? And most importantly for this case, who decides that the risk to participants is too high?” Presumably B-Kavs, as we imagine his fellow Yalies called him, also believes that coal-mining companies shouldn’t have to comply with onerous rules intended to prevent mine collapses, because those miners know what they’re signing up for.
Plus let’s not forget that the man does not share the good stuff with family. I mean, while Canadian Club is a perfectly adequate whiskey, it is no substitute for the Caskmates, amirite Sebby?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #1631
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Less, you are such a naysayer. I, for one, welcome our new killer whale overlords.

Plus let’s not forget that the man does not share the good stuff with family. I mean, while Canadian Club is a perfectly adequate whiskey, it is no substitute for the Caskmates, amirite Sebby?
You don’t think people can assume risk? Should Slave be able to sue Greedy for getting mixed with Paigow?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #1632
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
You don’t think people can assume risk? Should Slave be able to sue Greedy for getting mixed with Paigow?
An owner of a bad dog gets one free bite before she’s liable to victims of the dog in most states. Should owners of killer whales get more than that? You gotta figure that once Shamu starts eating trainers that she is likely to eat others and maybe Sea World should retire her. And that maybe the Department of Labor can enforce workplace safety for the trainers. But what do I know? I’m just a fan of the Nanny State, with all its child labor laws and such.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #1633
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:

I agree with Kavanagh. We have abandoned assumption of the risk.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #1634
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
I agree with Kavanagh. We have abandoned assumption of the risk.
We never had it with owners of animals, have we? Don’t they only get one tort-free bite under common law? So why should Sea World (the owners of Shamu) get more free bites than Sebby with his labradoodle? I would totally sue that pompous blowhard if his mutt took a nip at me while he was too busy pontificating over the 37 minute drum solo in his bootleg reel to reel of the Dead’s 1973 Red Rock show to pay attention to the evil little bastard.

And (serious question) has assumption of the risk ever applied in an employment situation?

Last edited by Not Bob; 07-10-2018 at 11:58 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #1635
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
We never had it with owners of animals, have we? Don’t they only get one tort-free bite under common law? So why should Sea World (the owners of Shamu) get more free bites than Sebby with his labradoodle? I would totally sue that pompous blowhard if his mutt took a nip at me while he was too busy pontificating over the 37 minute drum solo in his bootleg reel to reel of the Dead’s 1973 Red Rock show to pay attention to the evil little bastard.

And (serious question) has assumption of the risk ever applied in an employment situation?
So we all agree Kavanaugh was correct. Kumbayah.

Re your question, I asked similar one about strip club employees a few months ago, and was told that, yes, if it part of the job.