LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 80
0 members and 80 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #4576
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 22,252
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
You realize with this as the standard Flower cannot post anymore. Adder must retire too. And Ty? Well.
I have the Onion and Fuckjerry on my Instagram feed. (And I read Borowitz.) I get Flower's jokes a day before he posts them. He can retire.

As for his shrill shit, I talk news with soccer moms and professors at the gym now and again. I'm up to speed.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 02-12-2018 at 11:55 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #4577
Pretty Little Flower
Moderator
 
Pretty Little Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Flower
Posts: 7,859
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I have the Onion and Fuckjerry on my Instagram feed. (And I read Borowitz.) I get Flower's jokes a day before he posts them. He can retire.

As for his shrill shit, I talk news with soccer moms and professors at the gym now and again. I'm up to speed.
Oh gosh, you really *are* angry.

It's . . . delicious.
__________________
Minister of New New Super Heavy Funk.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #4578
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,363
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Oh gosh, you really *are* angry.

It's . . . delicious.
Needs spice.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #4579
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,767
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The system is not rigged to discriminate against Blacks.
It absolutely is. It very explicitly was - via federal government policy - in the not too distant past and next to nothing has been done to level the playing field.

Sure, the explicit policy is gone. You think it has no lingering effects?

Oh, and btw, we have zoning that effectively continues those policies too.

Quote:
But I can't agree that there is an active "system" at work the primary goal of which is to advantage any group over another.
What do you think the War and Drugs and mass incarceration are?

Quote:
BUT, huge caveat here: The War on Blacks (there's no flippancy intended there; that's factual) and our justice system, which grossly emphasizes broken windows crime over white collar crime, are designed and implemented to jail and marginalize Black people -- even more so, poor Black people (and poor people generally). These are systems that remain indefensible, and only exist to effect racist aims.
Well okay then. Sounds like an active system to me.

Last edited by Adder; 02-13-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Adder is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #4580
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,767
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I've never been comfortable with anti-Muslim or anti-Semitic behavior being lumped into the category of racism. It's lazy and strikes me as an attempt to opportunistically expand the term.
Ah yes, an evil scheme to label more things as racism. Once we do that, we'll all be rich!
Adder is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #4581
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,767
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

The Sam Harris/Scott Adams podcast on Trump is brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKIJvOJDrs
Thus raising the question of whether there could be a conversation among two people I'd less like to hear.
Adder is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #4582
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The system is not rigged to discriminate against Blacks. Parts of it are, and in certain geographic areas, far more so than others. And bigots infect the systems you cite as much as they infect any other system.

But I can't agree that there is an active "system" at work the primary goal of which is to advantage any group over another.

What you are talking about are persistent vestiges of a system that are damn hard to eradicate. That's a much different statement than the accusation that the system is still designed to effect racist ends.
You are, of course, missing the point. Anyone with half a brain would assume you were doing it purposefully, but I'll give you the "benefit" of the doubt.

All of the institutions I listed above were originally designed to benefit white people either (i) at the expense of black people or (ii) purposefully to oppress black people. That is not debatable. What remains are systems that continue to benefit white people at the expense of black people (sometimes purposefully--see: voter repression).

Your recharacterization of this issue into one in which you imply critics of these systems are claiming that there is one 'active "system" at work the primary goal* of which is to advantage any group over another' is intentional misdirection. And it's because you (and yes, I me you) would rather not deal with the fact that these institutions work the way they do. Whether it's your guilt that you benefit from it or your intellectual laziness in not wanting to address the actual criticism is not my problem. But every time you do it, here or at cocktail parties, someone should point out how full of shit you are.

If you--and you're a highly educated person no matter how much evidence you spew to the contrary--can't discuss the topic reasonably, your response is Exhibit I in the overwhelming mountain of evidence that tells every person of color that white people will not take any action to remedy the current state of affairs because they will not give up the benefits they receive. They won't even talk about it. They will either outright deny it exists or reframe the discussion into one they can easily deny (e.g., "There's no racist conspiracy," "There isn't one system," "It's not the primary goal," "We need a smoking gun," etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
BUT, huge caveat here: The War on Blacks (there's no flippancy intended there; that's factual) and our justice system, which grossly emphasizes broken windows crime over white collar crime, are designed and implemented to jail and marginalize Black people -- even more so, poor Black people (and poor people generally). These are systems that remain indefensible, and only exist to effect racist aims.
Agreed. But I wouldn't focus so tightly on "broken windows" policing. The whole criminal justice system benefits white people and disadvantages black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
My views of Sessions are well known here. If I'd the cure for cancer and he was Stage 4, I'd ignore him. I did not expect Trump to seriously use the racist Nixon "law n' order" shit if he someone hit the lottery and actually got elected. I made a mistake in that assumption. And, I was not aware of his Central Park 5 position when I voted.
Are you actually admitting that this statement is flat-out wrong, then?:

"I think most people reconcile it with, 'The Democrats won't do much different in re justice reform.'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I've actually dealt with this issue up close. I advocated for humane treatment of prisoners in a policy situation where, for reasons I won't get into here, I had some say. The public is very anti-prisoner. Very pro-tough-on-crime. Both D and R. They don't give a fuck about these people. The aim is to spend minimal dollars on rehabilitating people in jail, and taking a cruel position actually garners one votes.

No one with any power to do something about justice reform gives a fuck because politicians don't make it an issue, as it will make them look weak, and ex-cons have no say. They're subhumans to the average voter. YMMV. But I learned this, the hard way.
We are talking about the justice system, remember? You said, "Nobody gives a fuck about justice reform because nobody gives a fuck about victims of the justice system." You have now narrowed your focus to prisons. And you have still failed to define the class of people you're talking about when you say, "No one cares."

People most certainly care about the injustices inherent in the justice system. And this is a good opportunity to show you how racist institutions affect your perception.

The people who care and who are most affected have had their voices muted as a result of (i) socio-economic disadvantages as a result of historical second-class citizenship (and that's shorthand for a whole bunch of shit), (ii) their power at the voting booth being diminished through rampant voter repression, and (iii) the general racist attitude by whites who have segregated themselves from black people to levels higher than the era of actual, state-sponsored segregation that black people are more prone to crime and are generally more dangerous.

If your definition of "nobody" consists of white people who are discussing whether or not this issue is a political winner in suburban PA (or almost anywhere, really), I don't know what to tell you. I guess, you're right? But that conclusion, absent the rest of the conversation about why that is, seems fairly insignificant doesn't it?

TM

*You must have known that this stupid fucking trick wouldn't work, right? Does it ever work for you?

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 02-13-2018 at 10:58 AM..
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #4583
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This is a third rail. I think anti-Muslim nonsense is xenophobia. Racism here is racism against African Americans.

This is a very unpopular position among white liberals.

I hold to it. Racism, here, is a unique thing. It should not be diluted to include religious persecution.

Mel Gibson's rant about Jews was not racism. It was xenophobia, religious hatred, and cultural bigotry. His later rant about Blacks was racism.

Given that scientifically, the term "racism" as applied to anyone is inaccurate, I'd like to retire it. Except that in context, here, it now stands for hatred of African Americans. In this regard, it should be preserved. And it should describe, at least here, mostly, if not entirely, a phenomenon where people discriminate against and hate others based on African genetic background. (Which heritage of course includes all of us... but that's just "science' again, and you get the point.)

I've never been comfortable with anti-Muslim or anti-Semitic behavior being lumped into the category of racism. It's lazy and strikes me as an attempt to opportunistically expand the term.
You may have broken a record for the most Sebby post of all time.

"I think anti-Muslim nonsense is xenophobia.'
"Racism here is racism against African Americans."
"This is a very unpopular position among white liberals."
"...the term "racism" as applied to anyone is inaccurate..."
"...I'd like to retire [the term, 'racism']"
Racism in America "in context, here, it now stands for hatred of African Americans"

You're nuts. I mean, straight up wackadoo.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #4584
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
But discrimination against Blacks is a culturally unique thing in this nation. Here, "racism" has a special context.
What are you talking about? Are you saying that our institutions were based on The Peculiar Institution, so we have a different relationship with racism against Blacks than other countries? Or are you saying we are the only nation that discriminates against Blacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Some asshole claiming Muslims are subhumans is a religious bigot.
Come on. You don't really believe that whenever those words are spoken, the Muslim conjured in that person's mind isn't a brown person despite the fact that Muslims come in all colors, do you? In this country?

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #4585
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 83,680
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

So the portraits, I'm not sure how I feel about the President's, but I think Michelle's a mistake. These things started as a way to preserve people's appearances for history. Of course that purpose went away with color photography.


Still, in a hundred years people will be walking through the First spouse* gallery looking at realistic painting after realistic painting. Then here is this pretty abstract representation. And of the most youthful attractive first lady since Jackie Kennedy. I'd have gone with a realistic look.

As to the President's, the lightness will certainly stand out as one walks down the line of paintings, but that fits his persona?

*By then we will have to have had a first gentleman, maybe even a gay couple?
__________________
like Paigow
Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #4586
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Ah yes, an evil scheme to label more things as racism. Once we do that, we'll all be rich!
I will say this: Strategically, it is unwise to characterize things as racist when discussing racist shit with white people. They cannot handle it. They completely shut down and you spend the next 5-10 years talking about:
  • whether or not they are racist
  • whether or not what they did or think actually amounts to racism
  • whether an action is intentionally racist, and if it's not, whether that means it's racist
  • what they know to be true in their heart about themselves
  • if they are good people
  • how many black people they know
  • your sensitivity levels
  • that one time a black person got something that that person believed they deserved
  • why you're so focused on race
  • whether or not you're "playing the race card" to get some kind of benefit somehow
  • how their parents had a hard life
  • etfuckingcetera
TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #4587
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,363
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

How do I know the "system" is "rigged" to favor whites?

Because when I sit in hiring meetings otherwise well intentioned people have questions about candidates from towns or cities they're less familiar with (e.g., not suburbs) or favor those who share their preferences in everything from sports to stores to shop in to churches to schools to cultural organizations. Because the person hiring doesn't know much about black colleges or how to compare them with "their" schools. Because they get really excited about someone who was on the sailing team at their old school. Or someone who comes from a "good" family (e.g., they know someone who knows someone who knows them). Because there are a hundred other ways in daily interactions about decisions that are important that someone (such as hiring), especially if that someone comes from a city (where most African American people in the north live) or a rural southern community (where a lot of African American people in the South live), treat people more as curiosities than candidates.

To suggest otherwise is to be ignorant of the world around you, to not realize what is happening at meetings you attend. To suggest otherwise deserves ridicule.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #4588
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,363
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I will say this: Strategically, it is unwise to characterize things as racist when discussing racist shit with white people. They cannot handle it. They completely shut down and you spend the next 5-10 years talking about:
  • whether or not they are racist
  • whether or not what they did or think actually amounts to racism
  • whether an action is intentionally racist, and if it's not, whether that means it's racist
  • what they know to be true in their heart about themselves
  • if they are good people
  • how many black people they know
  • your sensitivity levels
  • that one time a black person got something that that person believed they deserved
  • why you're so focused on race
  • whether or not you're "playing the race card" to get some kind of benefit somehow
  • how their parents had a hard life
  • etfuckingcetera
TM

This is SOoooooooooo fucking true. Someday you and I need to have a coffee and I need to get help strategizing about how to keep trying to eliminate the segregation in some of the institutions I deal with. You should have seen the look on one of my employment law partners faces when I told him I thought we all had to admit we are at least influenced by racism, even him and even me.

I debate constantly right now whether it is time to scream "Enough. Stop being Racists." because the incrementalism really hasn't worked at all, for example, over the last 20 years in Boston law firms. Or whether that is just going to shut down anyone from listening. I've been doing more of the "Enough." lately than I used to.

I have been lucky enough to have hired and worked with a very diverse group of associates over the years. I have seen the barriers faced by those of them of color or who are women. It really pisses me off every day.
__________________
A wee dram a day!

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 02-13-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #4589
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So the portraits, I'm not sure how I feel about the President's, but I think Michelle's a mistake. These things started as a way to preserve people's appearances for history. Of course that purpose went away with color photography.


Still, in a hundred years people will be walking through the First spouse* gallery looking at realistic painting after realistic painting. Then here is this pretty abstract representation. And of the most youthful attractive first lady since Jackie Kennedy. I'd have gone with a realistic look.

As to the President's, the lightness will certainly stand out as one walks down the line of paintings, but that fits his persona?

*By then we will have to have had a first gentleman, maybe even a gay couple?
I think the whole point was to eschew tradition to accentuate the break from the link. I think they're both beautiful.

A tip: Do not ask any black people you know about this unless, out of the blue, they tell you they don't like those portraits. I know it's completely innocuous, but any criticism of the decision by the first black President to use two black artists to paint portraits that will sit in the fucking White House, will get you side-eye I don't think you're ready for.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #4590
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]
 
ThurgreedMarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,197
Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
How do I know the "system" is "rigged" to favor whites?

Because when I sit in hiring meetings otherwise well intentioned people have questions about candidates from towns or cities they're less familiar with (e.g., not suburbs) or favor those who share their preferences in everything from sports to stores to shop in to churches to schools to cultural organizations. Because the person hiring doesn't know much about black colleges or how to compare them with "their" schools. Because they get really excited about someone who was on the sailing team at their old school. Or someone who comes from a "good" family (e.g., they know someone who knows someone who knows them). Because there are a hundred other ways in daily interactions about decisions that are important that someone (such as hiring), especially if that someone comes from a city (where most African American people in the north live) or a rural southern community (where a lot of African American people in the South live), treat people more as curiosities than candidates.

To suggest otherwise is to be ignorant of the world around you, to not realize what is happening at meetings you attend. To suggest otherwise deserves ridicule.
I am the only black partner at my firm. I am one of three attorneys. The other day I organized a client panel in Boston with an amazing group of speakers (black and white) from companies we would love to get business from about the state of the market when it comes to inside counsel's expectations when it comes to outside counsel. One of the administrators who help set it up ran into a partner who didn't attend and said, "Hey! You missed a great panel." The partner said, "Yeah, I'm not a diversity kind of guy." Wasn't joking. Didn't care how it was taken.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.