LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 426
0 members and 426 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #91
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: What happens to an issue deferred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
At heart, you're a Marxist?
You wouldn't be the first to level that accusation. Thankfully, yours is I believe used accurately. This criticism leads to a lot of confusion when you're hanging with a right winger and an economics geek at the same time. (I have really boring friends these days.)

ETA: Would this mean Freud stole from Marx (inserting sex in the place of money)? Perhaps Freud cited Marx... Fuck it. I'm not delving into Freud.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-05-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #92
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Time to taste what you most fear/Right Guard will not help you here...

You're the one who said U6 was gospel. Apparently only until it stopped being useful.

Also, those are terrible sources for that data (and crap visualizations). The St. Louis Fed offers Fred, which is easy to use and complete.

Quote:
No, the lower participation is not because of retirements: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...orking-past-65
Yeah, it mostly is. Prime age participation is down a couple points from its historic peak in in late 1990s boom, but is more or less where it was pre-Great Recession.

Quote:
Shall we talk student loans next?
Sure. There's too much student loan debt out there, especially for millennials who graduated into a sluggish Great Recession economy. It's probably one factor in why this recovery has been marked by slower than historic growth rates, and certainly is a drag on housing markets and household formation. That said, we've been experience steady overall growth and steady job creation, and housing markets seem to be doing quite well, so it's not that big of the drag.

Nonetheless, let's do something about it! What's the libertarian proposal again?

Quote:
And it's really funny to hear from you about how Everything's Just Dandy with the economy
You understand that "it's not nearly as bad as you think" is not the same as "everything is just dandy."

I'd like to see 4-4.5% NGDP growth, and we've been lagging that. But to do better we'd need to invest in research, education, health care and infrastructure. So far we're cutting in three of those areas but maybe we'll get something that (inefficiently) boosts the last one?

I'd also like to see the Fed hold off on raising rates.

Quote:
but we have dire social issues to consider regarding non-cis bathroom users
We have trans people who face violence and death, of which bathroom laws are only one dimension, but sure, snidely dismiss that.

Quote:
The reason you're fixated on the latter and not the former, I suspect, is, like a lot of people in our social strata:

1. You truly do want social change;
2. But you don't want to change the economy, which is delivering for people like you; so,
3. You recoil at criticisms of the economy and support a narrative that insulates it from real, substantial change, but assuage your need to make a positive difference by focusing on social issues at the periphery.
Dude. I'm the one who said I'd make Bernie emperor if I could. ETA: To clarify, I'd make Bernie emperor if we were picking an emperor. I'd still rather not have an emperor.

And I actively dislike Bernie the man.

Quote:
Let's see how many white liberals want to have a conversation about how their best decision in life was selection of their parents.
A very long time ago, two generations of boards ago, I recall having exactly that argument with the conservatives that used to participate (you??).

Last edited by Adder; 05-05-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #93
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
It all comes down to money. Find a way to assuage the economic anxieties and most of the other ills self-correct.
I find it really hard to believe that in 2017 you still think that's true. Racists are not racists because of economic anxiety. They use economic anxiety to justify their racism to others.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #94
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I find it really hard to believe that in 2017 you still think that's true. Racists are not racists because of economic anxiety. They use economic anxiety to justify their racism to others.
If it's all about economics, how come people are so worried about European-American's economic anxiety when they have higher income and half the unemployment of African-American's?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #95
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
If it's all about economics, how come people are so worried about European-American's economic anxiety when they have higher income and half the unemployment of African-American's?
Well, GGG, I think we know that black people are the real racists, which is only natural given the economic anxieties they face.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #96
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Racists are racists because they're losers. And we measure winning and losing in these United States of Consumption in dollars. Sure, there are some intelligent, successful racists. But that's very much the exception. Show me a guy who hates or blames an "other" and I'll almost every time show you a guy who's a congenital loser.

ETA: I can do this even more simply. Objectively, a person who'd base his assessment of others on skin color, ethnicity, etc. is clearly not very logical. We agree with that, right? Okay, so from this we may conclude he's also not too bright, or probably not well schooled. That's a fair assessment. Most of the people who fit in this bucket tend to be those without resources, because with resources tends to come education, and assortative mating. Intelligent people tend to have if not intelligent, at least decently schooled kids.

We can assume there's a pretty good chance a man who holds anti-scientific and illogical views of race is outside the "winners' circle" of society. There are many exceptions, of course. But generally, holding such views is not compatible with the basket of tools one uses to find success in this modern age.

So given this, racism is strongly correlated with loserdom. It's not direct causation, but that is a damn strong correlation, you'd have to admit. And I'm willing to bet if you give a family of racist losers a pile of money and three generations to breed out the idiocy, you'd find people holding logical, scientific views on race... and most everything else. (As an aisde, I think this is what freaks people out about Bannon. Here's a smart guy not only buying into but aggressively pursuing policies supported by some really poor thinking.)

Not everything comes down to money. Just most of it.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-05-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #97
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Racists are racists because they're losers.
They aren't. They're racist because they are racist. If you need something beyond that, they are ignorant and sheltered. Give them money and they'll still be racists.

Expose them to the things they fear, and those who aren't completely hardened can probably make progress. It's worked wonders for the LGBT community, but anti-black racism is older and more ingrained.

Quote:
Sure, there are some intelligent, successful racists. But that's very much the exception. Show me a guy who hates or blames an "other" and I'll almost every time show you a guy who's a congenital loser.
As usual, you have a silly-narrow definition of racism. Racism is thinking that black people commit more crimes, deserve tougher policing, need to be handled roughly by the cops, make you feel uncomfortable on the street at night, don't belong in my neighborhood, among other things, too. Racism is thinking Islam is a violent religion, all Muslim's support terrorism, moderate Muslims need to condemn terror, we need extreme vetting, we need to keep Muslims out because they're dangerous, among other things. Lot's of non-losers think those things.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #98
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
They aren't. They're racist because they are racist. If you need something beyond that, they are ignorant and sheltered. Give them money and they'll still be racists.
See my ETA above.

Quote:
Expose them to the things they fear, and those who aren't completely hardened can probably make progress. It's worked wonders for the LGBT community, but anti-black racism is older and more ingrained.
If you're in a community where racism is acceptable, you're in loserland. The lack of money has starved the people of such a community of education, and as a result, they cannot think properly.

Yes, sure, in Greenwich, I'm sure there's a coffee klatch somewhere in which rich ladies are right now lamenting those Muslims and their icky behaviors. But in those parts, people debate matters of race and ethnicity, and the progressive views tend to win. The racists causing the problems today - the lowest common denominator of Trump's base - is a creature of rural Kentucky, not Connecticut. His lack of sense is directly tied to a lack of brains directly tied to a lack of money.

Quote:
As usual, you have a silly-narrow definition of racism. Racism is thinking that black people commit more crimes, deserve tougher policing, need to be handled roughly by the cops, make you feel uncomfortable on the street at night, don't belong in my neighborhood, among other things, too. Racism is thinking Islam is a violent religion, all Muslim's support terrorism, moderate Muslims need to condemn terror, we need extreme vetting, we need to keep Muslims out because they're dangerous, among other things. Lot's of non-losers think those things.
I agree with this definition 100%.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #99
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
If you're in a community where racism is acceptable, you're in loserland.
Again, this is not true. You will find racism literally everywhere.

Sure, not everywhere will you find "I sure do hate black people" but you'll definitely find, "I'm just not comfortable with that family that just moved into the neighborhood" or "I'm just going to cross the street to get away from that black man" or, perhaps most importantly, "if that unarmed black man had just complied with everything the officer asked of him, he wouldn't have been shot to death."

The coffee klatch version matters too. And yes, those people voted for Trump too.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #100
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
If you're in a community where racism is acceptable, you're in loserland. The lack of money has starved the people of such a community of education, and as a result, they cannot think properly.
You need to spend more time in large Boston law firms.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #101
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You need to spend more time in large Boston law firms.
a.k.a. Loser Land. Wake up and smell your loserdom, bro.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #102
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
a.k.a. Loser Land. Wake up and smell your loserdom, bro.

Point taken (though my little shoppe of horrours isn't that big...)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #103
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Think about how addressing the priorities I listed fixes others, and fixes those lower on my own ladder.
I have thought about this all day and have come to understand that you are correct and that your solution-to-all-societal-problems-ladder is not only spot on, but is actually blindingly obvious. The fact that our so-called politicians and other Big Thinkers have not figured this out and fixed everything already is astonishingly baffling.

This song rolls at about the pace that my afternoon is moving along at. Not. Frenetic. "Papa Don't Take No Mess" by the Hardest Working Man In Show Business. The Daily Dose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkyZEuea-0Y

I am not sorry.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #104
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Objectively, a person who'd base his assessment of others on skin color, ethnicity, etc. is clearly not very logical.
To the contrary, it's highly logical to make assumptions about people based on distinguishing characteristics.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #105
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Closed Thread