LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 314
0 members and 314 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #2341
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: This is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
How did they get so hammered so fast?

LessinMontevideo, Uruguay
They are still lit. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...141758652.html

LessinFlorianopolis, Brazil
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #2342
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Tucker Carlson Has Failed to Assimilate
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #2343
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
His use of Buckley’s “first 100 people in the Boston phone book” line is excellent. A perfect dig.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #2344
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post

But increasing your circle of friends
TM
What do you suggest for me? I have a pernicious personality{sad face}

So the hard part of the book is the end- what does one do? We have recently hired our first black law clerk (see long string of posts why so few black people end up in patents*). So I'm feeling intimidated by what em might encounter and how I deal with issues here, but grateful to have read the book so I at least see what I'll have to navigate. Some of my partners are saying we shouldn't mention to him that we have started an effort to get some diversity. I'm thinking, he knows we approached Black Engineering Student organizations, and he is going to see there are no other black patent attorneys, and not just at my firm. It's not like there'll be some secret to keep.

I'm thinking we should explain our efforts and I should let him know he can come to me with issues. I mean just thinking about the "survey dismissal" issue from the book, we all routinely dismiss clerks. Plus there will be other stuff I can't imagine. He very likely will have moments.

And I worry about dealing with those moments when it may be a white partner who (accidentally) insults a black clerk. The partner/clerk power imbalance isn't as bad here as most firms, but it is real. And the clerk will be intimidated, at least until he gets to realize I will back him?

What do firms with diversity committees do?

*essentially, maybe because an engineering degree guarantees a well paid job so few go to LS. I'm pissed at myself because we passively waited for resumes, and they didn't come, when all we had to was approach students in eng school student orgs.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #2345
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm thinking we should explain our efforts and I should let him know he can come to me with issues.
I'm clearly no expert, but I think at minimum you should tell him your firm (and the industry) have struggled with diversity, that you, personally, want to help him be successful and will listen and work with him to resolve any issues he encounters.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #2346
Hank Chinaski

Sometimes I'm sad that it didn't work out for Fringey and me, but then I'll see some news report and know maybe it's for the better.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #2347
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Seems like the sort of thing Mitt Romney would do.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #2348
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
What do you suggest for me? I have a pernicious personality{sad face}

So the hard part of the book is the end- what does one do? We have recently hired our first black law clerk (see long string of posts why so few black people end up in patents*). So I'm feeling intimidated by what em might encounter and how I deal with issues here, but grateful to have read the book so I at least see what I'll have to navigate. Some of my partners are saying we shouldn't mention to him that we have started an effort to get some diversity. I'm thinking, he knows we approached Black Engineering Student organizations, and he is going to see there are no other black patent attorneys, and not just at my firm. It's not like there'll be some secret to keep.

I'm thinking we should explain our efforts and I should let him know he can come to me with issues. I mean just thinking about the "survey dismissal" issue from the book, we all routinely dismiss clerks. Plus there will be other stuff I can't imagine. He very likely will have moments.

And I worry about dealing with those moments when it may be a white partner who (accidentally) insults a black clerk. The partner/clerk power imbalance isn't as bad here as most firms, but it is real. And the clerk will be intimidated, at least until he gets to realize I will back him?

What do firms with diversity committees do?

*essentially, maybe because an engineering degree guarantees a well paid job so few go to LS. I'm pissed at myself because we passively waited for resumes, and they didn't come, when all we had to was approach students in eng school student orgs.
This is a very specific example. If I were you, I would be supportive, let him know that partners are often dismissive of law clerks and it's an issue the firm is aware of, that you are there if he has any issues, and be a friend and a mentor. I don't think you need to overwhelm him with your take on race and the state of diversity in patent law. Trust me, he knows.

TM
Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #2349
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
This is a very specific example. If I were you, I would be supportive, let him know that partners are often dismissive of law clerks and it's an issue the firm is aware of, that you are there if he has any issues, and be a friend and a mentor. I don't think you need to overwhelm him with your take on race and the state of diversity in patent law. Trust me, he knows.

TM
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #2350
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

TM
I was thinking that because he knows, it would be strange for Hank not to mention it as an issue and that avoiding it may make warning about dismissive partners sound like it's an excuse for something else.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #2351
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I was thinking that because he knows, it would be strange for Hank not to mention it as an issue and that avoiding it may make warning about dismissive partners sound like it's an excuse for something else.
I took him to be saying play it by ear. If it comes up address it, I just don't need to make it part of the "welcome packet."
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #2352
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Preemptively? No. After-the-fact? Yeah.

TM
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #2353
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

White People Want Trump
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #2354
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Zero lies detected.

TM
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #2355
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
An interesting stat would how much the percentage of people who say the country is “on the wrong track” changes from President to President. I’m guessing this is a pretty static number.

It’s like asking the common folk, “Ya got any complaints?” Find the cat who doesn’t.

ETA: Yup - https://www.thedailybeast.com/weve-b...ack-since-1972

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 07-11-2019 at 07:12 PM..
Closed Thread