LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 174
0 members and 174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #346
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
So much room.
My ex moved out to the suburbs. I can honestly say that if I moved to the suburbs, I would kill myself.

Some things that would lead me to this:
  • Going to a "good" restaurant in a strip mall
  • Conversation with other suburban people--I manage to survive it at my daughter's games, but if these people were my only options, forget it
  • Doing house and yard stuff
  • Knowing which of my neighbors votes for Trump with their little yard signs
  • People minding my fucking business ("Well, his car is there, he must be home")
  • Commuting
  • Car culture
  • Idle housewives power walking or whatever
  • Malls--holy fuck do I hate malls
I realize people seek where they grew up. But the idea that I would want to design my life such that I don't have to interact with anyone who isn't like me is crazy. Leave my house that has it's own little play area for my kids and is in a neighborhood that no one who doesn't live there has any reason to visit, to get in my car so that I don't have to interact with anyone to drive to a mall to hang out or to some strip mall to have a drink would be torture.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 04-26-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #347
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
My ex moved out to the suburbs. I can honestly say that if I moved to the suburbs, I would kill myself.

• Conversation with other suburban people--I manage to survive it at my daughter's games, but if these people were my only options, forget it
  • People minding my fucking business ("Well, his car is there, he must be home")
  • Commuting
  • Car culture
I realize people seek where they grew up. But the idea that I would want to design my life such that I don't have to interact with anyone who isn't like me is crazy. Leave my house that has it's own little play area for my kids and is in a neighborhood that no one who doesn't live there has any reason to visit, to get in my car so that I don't have to interact with anyone to drive to a mall to hang out or to some strip mall to have a drink would be torture.

TM
There are advantages. For example, it's kind of fun to piss off your neighbors by leaving all kinds of shit in your yard.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #348
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

• Commuting
  • Car culture

TM
I can walk to a golf course.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #349
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

• Commuting
  • Car culture

TM
I agree with all of that, even though we bought a house in a part of the city that is sorta like a suburb, aside from having a street grid, sidewalks and things we can walk to. I've gotten used to the yard stuff, the Trump voters (rare overall but right next door!) I was judging for other reasons anyway.

But I gotta still say absolutely not to malls and do what I can to avoid driving. It helps that I can ride a bike to work and for most of my needs.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #350
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I can too! Well, assuming that it's not currently flooded because it was built on a wetland. And at least until the Park Board that owns it decides there's no other choice but to return it to a wetland.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #351
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I have 300 dinner options--and I'm only talking delivery.

TM
Old 04-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #352
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
This is absolutely false. There are exceptions, but drinking with lawyers is fucking miserable. They cannot and will not talk about anything other than work--whether they're complaining about it or are desperate to discuss something they think is interesting that is surely not.

Brokers are the worst fucking people in the world. And I will leave a bar at which they congregate in numbers superior to 2. They are dumb as rocks, think they run shit, order to impress instead of to enjoy, talk at the top of their lungs, and are almost always douchey white dudes with slicked back hair. The worst.

Tech people don't bother me as they are very easily tuned out.

Blue collars are okay until the subject turns to politics at which point I almost always need to beat a quick exit.

Bar industry and service workers are the second best group to drink with--they know what they want and can hold their liquor unless they have decided it's going to be a blackout night and even then they're pretty fun.

But the number one group of workers to drink with, by far, is teachers. Those motherfuckers let loose. They are funny, uninhibited, and (often) smart.

TM

I'll definitely endorse drinking with service and bar industry workers. Good hunk of friends in this arena. I don't even pretend to try to keep up.

I drink with a lot of academic medicine types, engineers, o&g people, marketing people, and architects. I don't drink with many lawyers. And usually it's just a mix from various professions who don't talk about work much.

The worst I've ever endured was an evening with mortgage bankers in the early aughts on a trip to Hawaii put on by their bank. Made a free trip to Hawaii almost not worth it, and I've avoided the entire profession (aside from the one friend who took me to Hawaii with him) ever since.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #353
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

TM
you counting both Mustang Sallys?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #354
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

TM
This one area where the suburbs can catch up. Delivery services in the burbs mean that restaurants have more potential people and can do more interesting things.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #355
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
you counting both Mustang Sallys?
They don't deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
This one area where the suburbs can catch up. Delivery services in the burbs mean that restaurants have more potential people and can do more interesting things.
The burbs will never catch up. Your pizza and Chinese food sucks. Those are staples. And the fact that restaurants have to pay more people to cover more square mileage of fewer people means it will never work well in the 'burbs.

TM
Old 04-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #356
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
So much room.
One of my friends used to be kind of a hipster. She was involved in one of the early alt-rock radio stations in the area, and thought it was funny when I showed up at a dinner party she was throwing for her mom severely messed up on . . . stuff. Recently, at a party, she was drunkenly blathering on about how much bang for the property tax buck she got in her suburb. Eventually, I just stopped her and said, "If you say one more word about this subject, we will never speak again." She stopped, but was silently resentful.

I am not sorry.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #357
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

TM
I just plugged my address into one of the local restaurant delivery services and it came up with . . . 300 dinner options. Ex. Actly. 300.

Whoa.

I am not sorry.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #358
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

• Commuting
  • Car culture

TM
Every now and then we look at moving to a bigger place, and then realize that to do so, we'd have to move further out, and we quickly end the discussion. We're 20 minutes from anywhere we want to be. We are surrounded by restaurants, within walking distance to the bayou, within biking distance to museums and downtown. If you look at the bullseye that is the Houston map, we're right to the southwest right outside the most center ring, about a mile and a half from downtown. The idea of commuting makes my blood run cold.

Our neighborhood has gentrified considerably in the 16 years that I've been in my house, but it's still the artsy, quirky space I moved to when I came back to Houston, even though some of the cute bungalows have been torn down to be replaced by ridiculous McMansions*. It's a mix of blue collar Hispanic and extreme white collar. It's been the gayborhood for decades. If it were up to Montrose, Beto O'Rourke would already have beaten Ted Cruz fro the Senate seat.

The city is the size of Rhode Island, so almost everyone lives a somewhat suburban life by Thurgreed's standards. The car culture is ridiculous, and the strip mall is king in this town, but some of them are awesome, with Korean restaurants and Mexican sports bars and Japanese Karaoke bars in the same 100 yard space. And the clusters of communities are also amazing.

Ft. Bend County, which is the suburban cousin to the west of Harris County (where Houston is) is one of the most diverse in the country with a population that was 19 percent Asian, 24 percent Hispanic, 21 percent black and 36 percent white in the 2010 census. It's probably even more widely distributed now. And it's almost 50/50 Republican/Democratic. Montgomery county to the North, though, is still pretty white and Republican and I can't imagine a more soulless existence than living there.

But all in all, I'm really happy to be deep inside the city in my small 1000 square foot house. And I love the house and yard stuff.

*The one next door is 4000 square feet on a 5000 square foot lot, 4 bedrooms and 5 1/2 baths. So ridiculous that it's been on the market for over 400 days. We're conflicted in that we want someone to move in (after the developer has endured significant pain), but we know anyone who would buy this thing is just terrible.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79

Last edited by Replaced_Texan; 04-26-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #359
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
They don't deliver.

The burbs will never catch up. Your pizza and Chinese food sucks. Those are staples. And the fact that restaurants have to pay more people to cover more square mileage of fewer people means it will never work well in the 'burbs.

TM
Living in a near burb, I can get delivery from the City.

Which is a constant reminder that if I lived in the city I could walk to these restaurants instead. And that means I could work through their wine list.

I'm think I'm going to go home and park on the lawn tonight.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #360
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I used to like the mental games element of the arguments, but honestly, I like arguing with Ty here much more than that. The subject matter is usually way more interesting, and neither of us is going to try to say the other's sur-reply is barred under the rules, collateral estoppel, or in excess of characters allowed.

Being a procedural ninny is fun when you're immature. To the extent I use those tricks to help someone, I feel good about it. But more often than not, I'm working for evil.

It's gotten old -- the whole tearing things down bit.
I wasn't referring to procedural gamesmanship. I was thinking of (since I do insurance coverage) the figuring out the answer - the research in any of the 50 states and applying the facts to the law.