LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 196
0 members and 196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #2866
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Yes. I too am pro No Bra Club.
I try to be an ally.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #2867
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Oh, you're fixated on the delta between the levels of fucking. Got it. The GOP favors letting your job go abroad to serve their benefactors and gives you nothing. The Democrats favor letting your job go abroad to serve their benefactors and gives you a "safety net" worth 1/10th of the value of what you lost, enough to keep in subsistence living. If we continue along with the "fucking" analogy, I think you'd call the Democrat enhancement over what the GOP offers a "reacharound."
You're the guy who sees a fire and would rather talk about how terrible it'll be when everything burns than do anything to put it out. The truth is, you enjoy the damage. I'm not saying you're an arsonist, but you get excited watching stuff burn, and you're bored by the prospect of fire-fighting.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #2868
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I try to be an ally.
But not offering support?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #2869
Ty@50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
It was creepy when ggg made a sexy post, but for you/me to try to glom on? I would like to take this chance to apologize to all whose tuitmal.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #2870
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@50 View Post
It was creepy when ggg made a sexy post, but for you/me to try to glom on? I would like to take this chance to apologize to all whose tuitmal.
In the last week I've stopped feeling schizophrenic when I see this sock. Now it's more of a wistful nostalgia.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #2871
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

For everyone here, but especially TM since we were arguing about Dems turning out the base vs. persuading marginal voters:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/thi...2020-forecast/

Maybe she's wrong, but she reinforces my priors so clearly she must be right. Here's a bit of it:

Quote:
When made your initial prediction of a 42-seat wave, other analysts weren’t even sure there would be any blue wave at all, and everybody had toss-ups where you are saying these will flip or are likely to flip. You were proven right, but the common-sense explanation that Democrats won over moderate Republicans by campaigning on health care was very much at odds with your explanation. You had this very prescient insight, and then everyone else catches up, but they sort of drop your insight. So how did you know, and how is that explanation mistaken?

I'm really glad to hear you frame it that way. I haven't heard it framed that way, even in my own brain, but you're exactly right. I am way ahead of everybody, they finally catch up as we move into the final two months before Election Day — certainly that last month — and then the election happens and it happens exactly that way, and then they abandoned my explanation. Now I’m out there trying to fight to get the explanation accepted.

The explanation, of course, is that it was this giant turnout of core constituencies, that either are Democrats or favor Democrats — they’re independents who favor Democrats — and they have a huge turnout explosion. So it's not the same pool of voters changing their minds and voting Democrat after voting Republican because of the issue of health care. It's a whole different pool of voters.

They might have many reasons that they cite, and probably this is not the reason they would cite. But what made them enraged and show up is Trump Inc., the negative partisanship. I don't know why Nancy Pelosi, the DCCC or many of these moderate members are convinced that moderate Republicans crossed over and voted for them. I have the data for some of these districts and the data tells a very different, very clear story: If Republicans voted in huge numbers, they voted for Republicans.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #2872
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You're the guy who sees a fire and would rather talk about how terrible it'll be when everything burns than do anything to put it out. The truth is, you enjoy the damage. I'm not saying you're an arsonist, but you get excited watching stuff burn, and you're bored by the prospect of fire-fighting.
I am amused at policy blunders, that’s true. The law of unintended consequences ensures entertainment in the future.

But here I’m actually criticizing the fire fighters. First, you’re not really fighting fires. Pushing policies that eliminate jobs and then offering the victims a pittance isn’t fighting anything. If I take a hundred dollars from you and give you twenty back, I’ve helped you how exactly?

I’m in favor of free trade. This means I am in favor of allowing the market to eliminate lower level jobs, allowing firms to increase profits through decreased labor costs. This takes money from the lower level workers and gives it to investors. It’s a transfer.

That is a fire I have helped to assist burning. I am actually somewhat of an arsonist. So are you if you are in favor of trade policies that allow workers to be replaced by cheaper foreign labor.

I am not absolved of this because I support another policy that gives pittance amounts to these now unemployed and unemployable workers. Nor can I escape it by expanding health care for them.

I’ve made a choice, as a member of a class above these workers, to have the wages they previously enjoyed transferred to people in my class — to investors (including a lot of undeserving baby boomers), to skilled workers near the tops of corporate hierarchies, to bankers, people in P/E and hedge funds, etc.

We’re arsonists. We’re choosing to let a global market do as it will to those at the bottom of the ladder in exchange for more profits to those at the top (at or near which level we reside). You seek to make the argument that throwing some crumbs back to the losers is a policy light years away from just letting them fend for themselves. I see a very thin difference between those policies.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #2873
sebastian_dangerfield

Warren

This already happens to an extent, but not enough:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...th-warren.html

The country needs more of her thinking, as Biden’s VP.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #2874
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
For everyone here, but especially TM since we were arguing about Dems turning out the base vs. persuading marginal voters:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/thi...2020-forecast/

Maybe she's wrong, but she reinforces my priors so clearly she must be right. Here's a bit of it:
Does she believe that President Obama was elected?

If I posted on a page where I was the only one who predicted what would happen in the last election, I'd hope I'd be smart to ask me, instead of posting my own inane blog posts, but that's just me.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-18-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #2875
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Does she believe that President Obama was elected?

If I posted on a page where I was the only one who predicted what would happen in the last election, I'd hope I'd be smart to ask me, instead of posting my own inane blog posts, but that's just me.
Sorry, what?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #2876
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Hey just popping in to say hello.

For the record, I have at this point abandoned the label "conservative" and given up the fight that Trumpism isn't conservatism and conservatism isn't racist. I am basically a socially conservative libertarian at this point. I am hoping that Justin Amash runs as an independent becauase as nauseated as I am with the GOP, the Democrats appear to be insane. I might have voted for Hickenlooper, or Delaney maybe, but none of the front runners.

Basically I have come to the conclusion that a significant plurality (not a majority, but maybe 40%) of the GOP basically is really racist, and they put up with the build a wall farce because it's really all about being able to shout "Send them back!" at rallies.

I left the GOP in 2016, but the Democrats offer me nothing, so basically I am part of the lonliest minority in the country.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #2877
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone slothrop View Post
sorry, what?
q.e.d.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #2878
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I’m surprised she’s not a member of SAG.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #2879
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I’m surprised she’s not a member of SAG.
Isn't she squished against a window? Can you really tell?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #2880
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
To me, when DiAngelo got called out was the biggest lesson. It sort of echoes some 12 steps thought of "yes you've been through the steps once, but you have to check your behavior for each step each day." It isn't just knowing how white people dismiss/deflect and trying to educate them, it is applying those thoughts to what you do every day.

You read things differently?
I think different parts are more important to different people. But now that I see what you're actually saying, it makes perfect sense to me. I support this message.

TM
Closed Thread