LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 102
0 members and 102 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Salaries and Firms

Posts from Old Board:

Lexus_Talionis wrote:

Has anybody heard who's going to move into the new building they're putting on top of Hecht's?

Last I read, it is being built on spec. -- they didn't have any tenants signed up. I would hope they have started signing some folks up, but I'm not aware of any major tenants yet. It's not like law firms are bursting at the seams for larger space (Wilmer, apparently, excepted).

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:40 am Post subject: What's going on at DOJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's going on at DOJ Comm Div? Did they all get happy meals for lunch this week? The level of cooperation and civility was startling.

I bet it was the passage of the 2003 budget and the release of funding, finally allowing the restocking of the coke machine.

Last edited by On_n'a_qu'une_vie on Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:43 am Post subject: Pay raises?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that reminds me. Whatever did happen to the payraises over at the SEC?

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:50 am Post subject: Foreign antitrust lawyer

A friend of a friend is looking for tips/opptys for a position in DC. She is a Turkish national, Turkish and American trained, antitrust lawyer.

Is the lack of a green card (currently) going to be fatal in speaking with DC firms, or would a firm be willing to sponsor her, assuming they were interested. Does anyone know how their firm has dealt with this issue in the past?

(And I promise not to serial post anymore. Gotta get that K someday. )

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)
I am simply a cog in the Lawtalk Machine

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:35 am Post subject: Re: Foreign antitrust lawyer

Onn'aqu'unevie wrote:
A friend of a friend is looking for tips/opptys for a position in DC. She is a Turkish national, Turkish and American trained, antitrust lawyer.

I know that Covington has hired foreign lawyers before for a six-month internship kind of thing. I do not know, however, whether a green-card is required. So maybe that doesn't answer the question at all, but it can't hurt to call/write them. They have a good antitrust practice, so she might have something to offer.

Onn'aqu'unevie wrote:

You'll be waiting a while here. Try the old FB; I think it was getting close to a K.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Foreign antitrust lawyer

Onn'aqu'unevie wrote:

Is the lack of a green card (currently) going to be fatal in speaking with DC firms, or would a firm be willing to sponsor her, assuming they were interested. Does anyone know how their firm has dealt with this issue in the past?

My knowledge on this subject ranges from I know a little to I dont know shit. That said, I had once spoken to an Israeli guy with an Israeli law degree (which is just an undergrad degree over there) and he was trying to get a job over here at a firm but was finding that he needed an LLM to get one. Also, when I was interviewing, all the foreigner attorneys had LLMs without exception. I cannot think of someone with a foreign law degree (and Canada does not count) who works here without an LLM .

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:05 pm Post subject: Question about double anon info gathering

Lets say that my firm is hiring and I would like to start spreading the news. Burger seems to be the only DC based moderator here. But I am wary about writing him as he moderates for that ahem other place and that sycophant SAM is really getting on my nerves. Plus I think the burger has a justice account. Who can I send my super secret information to?

Tyrone_Slothrop
I post, ergo I am

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:13 pm Post subject: where to send super-secret stuff?

I'm a moderator on another board, but am happy to post things here if someone sends them to me in confidence. Which is not to cast any aspersions on Burger or SAM, who can defend themselves.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: Question about double anon info gathering

paigowprincess wrote:
Lets say that my firm is hiring and I would like to start spreading the news. Burger seems to be the only DC based moderator here. But I am wary about writing him as he moderates for that ahem other place and that sycophant SAM is really getting on my nerves. Plus I think the burger has a justice account. Who can I send my super secret information to?

1) Mmmm_burger@hotmail.com works too.
2) Anything I am asked to post here I will post only here.
3) If you don't trust me for other reasons, send it to Ty, or leagl, or anyone, or create a fake log in.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: cross-posting

paigowprincess wrote:

And please keep your insults about posters here who are trying to foster the new community to the DC burning board. This is for ontopic information.

Yeah. What she said.

Mmmm()Burger

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:45 am Post subject: Death watch

So when is Arent Fox going to fold?

Seems several firms that were suffering earlier have stablized in the last six months, think Holland and Knight for ex.

PenskeAccountant

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:59 am Post subject: Calls from HH's on the rise?

Has anyone else noticed an increase in calls from HH's lately? Both for law firm jobs and (particularly) for in house positions?

Is it possible the good old days of 1999 are slowly creeping back?

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:12 am Post subject: Market is improving

From my perspective, the business climate is improving. My area of practice has its own up and down cycle, however. That's why I'm interested in hearing whether others are perceiving an uptick in volume.

Penske_Account

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:25 pm Post subject: PENSKEACCOUNTANT

Per my post on the politics board and my PM, please change your confusingly similar name.

Thanks.

Tyrone_Slothrop
I post, ergo I am

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:59 pm Post subject: Howrey to Heller

Heller Ehrman just picked up an antitrust partner from Howrey & Simon, Michael Cohen. Anyone know anything about this?

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:20 pm Post subject: RE: Howrey to Heller

I haven't heard of Cohen before, but that doesn't mean it's not a big pick-up. If firm reps. are accurate, his QOL will get better. Any indication whether associates came with? They would really benefit from the better QOL.

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:54 pm Post subject: Chity chitty bang bang

Dunno if this is where this goes, but it's not a flame, so I'll post it here:

Well, here's something you don't see every day -- a guy drove a tractor into that little pond on the Mall. (Hence the huge traffic mess out there.)

A John Deere tractor could be clearly seen in a pond near the Reflecting Pool, in the area known as Constitution Gardens. The tractor was pulling a military-style Jeep and a trailer. The tractor became disconnected from the other vehicles, and the Jeep was partially submerged. The tractor had messages on its cab supporting veterans.

"A very large John Deere tractor crashed into the water," said witness Ted Woynicz. "He was dressed in army fatigues, he had a helmet on with a Red Cross insignia on the front."

The man was sitting in the cab of the tractor, which was in about three feet of water. He was playing recordings of military exercise cadences. The area was roped off with crime scene tape.

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 am Post subject: Constitution Avenue closed

So what crazy emergency this morning has led to the closing of Constitution between 23rd and 15th and the announcement that Federal employees in the area must walk to work? Another tractor in the reflecting pool?

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:24 am Post subject:

I was JOKING. It is the tractor in the reflecting pool. This major source of a potential bio-chem-nuc-a-ler attack means you can't drive downtown today. Incredible.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:49 am Post subject:

On_n'a_qu'une_vie wrote:
I was JOKING. It is the tractor in the reflecting pool. This major source of a potential bio-chem-nuc-a-ler attack means you can't drive downtown today. Incredible.

This is as ridiculous as the last time the Wilson bridge was shut down for a jumper. Can't a sniper finish the job? Or can't they get some of those tranquilizer darts they use on animals? I don't believe he actually has explosives . . . anyway, this "standoff" has to be ended somehow. And soon.

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:38 am Post subject:

Unbelievable. Where are all those fancy high-tech gadgets that are supposed to make this a quasi-bloodless war? Don't they have some sort of magic pixie dust that they can blow over the tractor guy to knock him out? How about tear gas? Or an elephant tranquilizer?

And how large, exactly, is this guy's bladder anyway?

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:47 am Post subject: Tractor in pond

Lexus_Talionis wrote:

I recommend you not go swimming in that pond any time soon.

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:10 pm Post subject: Tractor in pond

My favorite news bits from the last hour:

the spokesman for the U.S. Park Police dealing with Operation Tracto-Terror: Sgt. Fear

Number of police involved in the standoff: over 100

Police strategy: "we're just going to be patient with him"

Note to Saddam - forget tanks. Load everyone up on tractors and head for the nearest ditch.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Page 2 Old Board

Lawtalkers.com Forum Index -> DC
View previous topic :: View next topic
infinitytrack
Moving On Up

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Tractor in pond

Lexus_Talionis wrote:
My favorite news bits from the last hour:

the spokesman for the U.S. Park Police dealing with Operation Tracto-Terror: Sgt. Fear

Number of police involved in the standoff: over 100

Police strategy: "we're just going to be patient with him"

Note to Saddam - forget tanks. Load everyone up on tractors and head for the nearest ditch.

This certainly gives me pause. The 8Trackette spent about an hour trying to get across town this morning and couldn't believe it was still this tractor driving imbecile.

Not to anyone who has been ranting hysterically how Ashcroft is the Gestapo and that we are one step away from Nazi Germany, name just about any country other than France who would allow this twit to paralyze half of a city for 24 hours. China would have him locked up and forgotten so fast, nobody would remember it ever happened.

Gattigap
I seem to have a gap in my gatti

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Tractor in pond

infinitytrack wrote:
... name just about any country other than France who would allow this twit to paralyze half of a city for 24 hours. China would have him locked up and forgotten so fast, nobody would remember it ever happened.

Two words: Dart Gun.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:25 pm Post subject: Pond Tractor

What's even better is that this ass-jack is complaining that, having sucked at the government teat of tobacco-farmer subsidies all of his life, he's now being cut off.

Washington Post article

Remarkably, he's realized he can't make money farming unless he's paid to do so by the government.

Good god, man, you've contributed to the subsidized death of millions, and you want our sympathy? And you think blocking traffic will get it?

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:25 pm Post subject: DC Taxes

WTF? First, I get my property tax bill, with a third consecutive increase of 25%+ in my assessment. Then, I read that Tony Williams wants to increase the income tax for people earning more than $100k from 9.3% to 9.9%. Good god! This city is going to be populated solely by people too poor to be taxed or too rich to care. I am quickly developing a strong interest, like Paigow a few months ago, in become a suthunah.

WHTFH
Just Getting Started

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:52 pm Post subject: Re: DC Taxes

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.) wrote:
WTF? First, I get my property tax bill, with a third consecutive increase of 25%+ in my assessment. Then, I read that Tony Williams wants to increase the income tax for people earning more than $100k from 9.3% to 9.9%. Good god! This city is going to be populated solely by people too poor to be taxed or too rich to care. I am quickly developing a strong interest, like Paigow a few months ago, in become a suthunah.

If it makes you feel any better, property taxes in VA have also gone up by almost as much (I guess that's okay since my house has appreciated in market value by a higher percentage). The income tax rate is much lower of course. Just be happy that it's all deductible against Uncle Sam.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: DC Taxes

WHTFH wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, property taxes in VA have also gone up by almost as much (I guess that's okay since my house has appreciated in market value by a higher percentage). The income tax rate is much lower of course. Just be happy that it's all deductible against Uncle Sam.

That makes it slightly better. I know see exactly why we get bastardized tax restrictions like Prop 13 (Cal.) and Prop. 2 1/2 (Mass.) to limit increases in property taxes. While those laws have really created a mess of things, I now fully understand why citizens were so pissed as to get those passed.

Tyrone_Slothrop
I post, ergo I am

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: DC Taxes

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.) wrote:
WHTFH wrote:

That makes it slightly better. I know see exactly why we get bastardized tax restrictions like Prop 13 (Cal.) and Prop. 2 1/2 (Mass.) to limit increases in property taxes. While those laws have really created a mess of things, I now fully understand why citizens were so pissed as to get those passed.

Speaking as a victim of one of those laws, which bases property taxes on the last sale price rather than assessed value, they're all about forcing newcomers to subsidize municipal expenses for those who've been living in their house for a while (and who are more likely to be politically represented). The disparity between what we pay in taxes and what our neighbor (who's been in her house for 30 years or so) makes me sick.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: DC Taxes

Tyrone_Slothrop wrote:

Speaking as a victim of one of those laws, which bases property taxes on the last sale price rather than assessed value, they're all about forcing newcomers to subsidize municipal expenses for those who've been living in their house for a while (and who are more likely to be politically represented). The disparity between what we pay in taxes and what our neighbor (who's been in her house for 30 years or so) makes me sick.

Yep. California education is a complete mess because of it, and the housing market, which is wacko anyway, is even more crazy because of it.

Prop. 21/2 isn't as bad, because it caps the total revenue each town collects to a 2.5% annual increase. As a result, each town has to decide only how to allocate the taxes among properties. Of course, a 2.5% increase doesn't allow for much increased spending over the long run.

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:13 am Post subject: Tracto-terror

I have figured it out. the Federales and the City don't want to end the Tracto-terror incident. It keeps cars out of downtown. It controls access to the Mall and keeps the real terrorists (and anti-war protestors) away from State and the Fed Reserve. The timing could not be more perfect.

Expect them to start delivering donuts and Marlboros soon.

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:42 am Post subject: Tracto-Terror: A City Plowed Under

I'm betting that if it were pouring rain they'd have gotten him out of there days ago. What better excuse for 100 cops to sit around in the park on a sunny day?

Dunno about the Marlboros, but I'm sure the donuts are already there.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:14 am Post subject: Re: DC Taxes

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.) wrote:

Fuck that. I am buying a ranch in Nevada, down the road from Casa Agassi, where I will pay no taxes and I will tetlecommute.

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: Tractor in pond with odd yellow hue

Lexus_Talionis wrote:

WELL - now we know:

"Watson ... continued to stay in the tractor's cab, occasionally rocking back and forth, snacking and waving his arms around at no one in particular.

At one point about 9 a.m., Watson stepped halfway out of the cab onto the running board to relieve himself into the pond." - Washington Post

Apparently, he has the 36-hour model.

Luke

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:21 pm Post subject: New branch office of large firm in DC?

I saw three HH ads on a popular job site for associates to join a new branch office in DC of a large law firm. Any thoughts on who it might be? (and yes, I could contact the HH, but I really don't want to.)

Old 03-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #3
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Page 2 continued

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: New branch office of large firm in DC?

Luke wrote:
I saw three HH ads on a popular job site for associates to join a new branch office in DC of a large law firm. Any thoughts on who it might be? (and yes, I could contact the HH, but I really don't want to.)

Perhaps Freshfields? They're expanding/creating an antitrust group in DC, although I think the've had an office in DC for a few years. But with two big partner hires, they likely need associates.

Luke

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:29 pm Post subject:

It could be Freshfields, but like you say, they've been here a while. It's hard to believe a firm would want to open a new office in the current environment.

I read the ads again. The firm is looking for almost all practice areas, including corp. and securities, labor, antitrust, environmental, and litigation. I would call the HH, but I don't think I would find out because I'm not within the class years they are looking for.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:10 pm Post subject:

Luke wrote:
It could be Freshfields, but like you say, they've been here a while. It's hard to believe a firm would want to open a new office in the current environment.

I read the ads again. The firm is looking for almost all practice areas, including corp. and securities, labor, antitrust, environmental, and litigation. I would call the HH, but I don't think I would find out because I'm not within the class years they are looking for.

Clifford Chance?

Lexus_Talionis
Moving On Up

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:45 pm Post subject:

Luke wrote:
The firm is looking for almost all practice areas, including corp. and securities, labor, antitrust, environmental, and litigation.

In ntha case, I''m guessing its a generic (i.e., fake) ad designed to pull in fresh meat for the headhunter.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:29 am Post subject: The DC GA Online community

This board has been dead for several days. Now I know there is no news, but even the Stalin board has a little traffic. I sense that what I feared would happen did- that the DC GA community has bifurcated. Is there any way to get us all in one place so that the information flow stays intact? Even if it is just about Metro escalators? I am being asked to contribute to support this board but am wondering about the viabilty of the regional boards. How can we get better traffic here? Do we email the users of the other board, or what? do we need to do something to the domain so that a "greedy associates" seach on google brings this place up (assuming it doesnt already)? Thoughts?

Sting
Just Getting Started

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:30 am Post subject: Re: The DC GA Online community

paigowprincess wrote:
This board has been dead for several days. Now I know there is no news, but even the Stalin board has a little traffic. I sense that what I feared would happen did- that the DC GA community has bifurcated. Is there any way to get us all in one place so that the information flow stays intact? Even if it is just about Metro escalators? I am being asked to contribute to support this board but am wondering about the viabilty of the regional boards. How can we get better traffic here? Do we email the users of the other board, or what? do we need to do something to the domain so that a "greedy associates" seach on google brings this place up (assuming it doesnt already)? Thoughts?

I hate to say this, but it's going to take time for everyone to post here that formerly (or still are) posting on the FL board. At the same time, and as much as I hate to admit it, the Greedy Associates movement has either died or gone into hibernation in light of the current economy. This is probably why there is little valuable information flow (not that burritos, metro escalators, and tractor man aren't important). Likewise, there is a war going on, so any free time people have is probably being spent glued to the television for the latest news from Iraq.

As you suggested, however, there may be various actions we could take to increase awareness of this site. I would suggest perhaps a mailing list (to GA's home e-mail addresses, of course) featuring hyperlinks to the latest posts on a few select boards. Perhaps we could also try to go "mainstream" (gasp) and get more coverage from traditional lawyer media as to the topics being discussed here. Unfortunately, I don't think that the Legal Times will be too interested in burritos (but I could be wrong).

Sting ("It could happen to you, it could happen to me...")

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:48 am Post subject: Re: The DC GA Online community

Sting wrote:

I hate to say this, but it's going to take time for everyone to post here that formerly (or still are) posting on the FL board. At the same time, and as much as I hate to admit it, the Greedy Associates movement has either died or gone into hibernation in light of the current economy. This is probably why there is little valuable information flow (not that burritos, metro escalators, and tractor man aren't important). Likewise, there is a war going on, so any free time people have is probably being spent glued to the television for the latest news from Iraq.

FWIW, page views on FL-DC are down at least 25% over the last week, and nearly 50% since the revolution. Most of the posts are the one-shot question types. The dialogue is basically gone.

Remarkably, S_A_M's post re lawtalkers wasn't deleted, although SFTM picked one off the big board yesterday.

Anyway, I think we need a foil for the paigowrina . . . . that's what creates the page hits

That, or something exciting happening in DC.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:02 am Post subject: Re: The DC GA Online community

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.) wrote:
Sting wrote:

FWIW, page views on FL-DC are down at least 25% over the last week, and nearly 50% since the revolution. Most of the posts are the one-shot question types. The dialogue is basically gone.

Remarkably, S_A_M's post re lawtalkers wasn't deleted, although SFTM picked one off the big board yesterday.

Anyway, I think we need a foil for the paigowrina . . . . that's what creates the page hits

That, or something exciting happening in DC.

So, I create pagehits? I should test this and go back to the Stalin board just as an experiment. See if I can revive that board (and then subversely bring em on here)

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:27 am Post subject: Joe Millionaire in DC

From yesterday's Post:

In search of diversion from harsh realities, we clicked to a different kind of reality: "Joe Millionaire," the real guy with fake money. Fox's overnight television sensation Evan Marriott came to Washington to host the Platinum Club's third-anniversary party Saturday night -- and for 1,500 fans it was a good enough reason to hit the town. "I haven't been out of my house in 12 years," said Liz Yelamos. "But we can say I'm here tonight for Joe Millionaire."

The downtown nightclub was transformed into a mosh pit of screaming women when the 28-year-old stud muffin finally arrived after midnight. Marriott looked casual in khakis and T-shirt, his curly locks a little longer and wilder than in his "Millionaire" days. "He's got a hot body," critiqued Lynnette Young. "But he needs to do something about that hair."

Well-coiffed or not, the former construction worker/underwear model is having no problem cashing in on his new stardom. He's "friends" with Zora, his love interest on the show, and therefore available, ladies. Accepting kisses on the cheek and dancing onstage in a circle of women, the man of the hour looked very comfortable in the limelight.

A few rules to live by? "Try to keep a level head, never believe in your own hype, and remember fortune is great," Marriott said, flashing his killer smile. "But fame's a real bitch."

Tough job, but someone's got to do it.

He got someone "out of the house" for the first time in 12 years? Good god, someone, and not Evan, needs to get a life for at least two reasons.

paigowprincess
Beyond Category

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:40 am Post subject: Re: Joe Millionaire in DC

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.) wrote:
From yesterday's Post:

In search of diversion from harsh realities, we clicked to a different kind of reality: "Joe Millionaire," the real guy with fake money. Fox's overnight television sensation Evan Marriott came to Washington to host the Platinum Club's third-anniversary party Saturday night -- and for 1,500 fans it was a good enough reason to hit the town. "I haven't been out of my house in 12 years," said Liz Yelamos. "But we can say I'm here tonight for Joe Millionaire."

The downtown nightclub was transformed into a mosh pit of screaming women when the 28-year-old stud muffin finally arrived after midnight. Marriott looked casual in khakis and T-shirt, his curly locks a little longer and wilder than in his "Millionaire" days. "He's got a hot body," critiqued Lynnette Young. "But he needs to do something about that hair."

Well-coiffed or not, the former construction worker/underwear model is having no problem cashing in on his new stardom. He's "friends" with Zora, his love interest on the show, and therefore available, ladies. Accepting kisses on the cheek and dancing onstage in a circle of women, the man of the hour looked very comfortable in the limelight.

A few rules to live by? "Try to keep a level head, never believe in your own hype, and remember fortune is great," Marriott said, flashing his killer smile. "But fame's a real bitch."

Tough job, but someone's got to do it.

He got someone "out of the house" for the first time in 12 years? Good god, someone, and not Evan, needs to get a life for at least two reasons.

I dont think Lexy is going to appreciate your outing her on this site.

Secret_Agent_Man
Moving On Up

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: The DC GA Online community

paigowprincess wrote:
So, I create pagehits? I should test this and go back to the Stalin board just as an experiment. See if I can revive that board (and then subversely bring em on here)

Shhhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet. She's hunting wabbits! heheheheheh!

Burger is correct, though, that the dialogue has died over there. I'm sure one reason is that about half of the most regular posters there now only post here.
Silver and gold -- it is time the trumpet sounded
For you: the third pouch is where you are put."

Luke

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: The DC GA Online community

paigowprincess wrote:Quote:
This board has been dead for several days. Now I know there is no news, but even the Stalin board has a little traffic. I sense that what I feared would happen did- that the DC GA community has bifurcated. Is there any way to get us all in one place so that the information flow stays intact?

This is just a thought, but maybe we should combine the DC and Government board (i.e., DC/Gov). I think the two would go together well, and would be much stronger combined.

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:49 pm Post subject: Gov't/DC board

Quote:
This is just a thought, but maybe we should combine the DC and Government board (i.e., DC/Gov). I think the two would go together well, and would be much stronger combined.

Well, there's no real issue until something comes up on the gov't board. When it does, I'm not sure combining the two makes sense, since the only overlap is location, which is hardly of substance itself. If someone has questions about gov't in DC, they should feel free to post here, of course.

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:26 pm Post subject: DC/Gov't

Not to start another contemplate our navel discussion, but I think I agree with Luke. Government attorneys are a major part of the constituency aroung here and they can be greedy too (which is why the OPM's survey shows that 1/3 of Gov workers want out). Plus given the job market, Gov work is an increasingly likely option for incoming GAs.

I agree the Gov board does not have much traffic at present, but hey, the whole lawtalkers community is going through a quiet/adjustment phase at present. (Except for Fashionistas of course).

robustpuppy
My rank is higher than your rank.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:43 pm Post subject:

I agree with Luke and Carpe Diem. To manage their careers effectively, govt. lawyers need to keep on top of what's going on at law firms. Of course, they can post and lurk here all they want, but announcing a new focus of the Board might create more traffic and some synergy. This seems like the best place to talk about the "revolving door," etc.

Tyrone_Slothrop
I post, ergo I am

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:32 pm Post subject:

robustpuppy wrote:
This seems like the best place to talk about the "revolving door," etc.

OK, I'll bite. If you don't go through the revolving door every so often, are you prevented from going through it at all?

Mmmm,Burger(C.J.)

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:41 pm Post subject: Revolving door.

Tyrone_Slothrop wrote:
robustpuppy wrote:
This seems like the best place to talk about the "revolving door," etc.

OK, I'll bite. If you don't go through the revolving door every so often, are you prevented from going through it at all?

I don't think so, but it is less likely that you will. First, once you get established in a particular job (or the more you do), the less likely you are to leave. Pay, of course, is a large part of this, but not the only part. Second, there are fewer jobs available that a partner at biglaw will deem sufficiently dignified to take. There just aren't that many top positions at DOJ and other gov't agencies.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Page 3

View previous topic :: View next topic
On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:41 am Post subject: Revolving door

Burger, your response requires a context. Talking about Biglaw partners going through the revolving door into Government means you are always talking about a very small number of people. Also, there are two revolving doors. Government/bureaucratic positions that are law or law-related, and political appointments which can involve almost anything. I doubt most revolv-ers go back and forth between biglaw partner and Civil servant bureaucrat (at the SES level). Much more likely to be on the policy/political track.

The issue for those in Government looking to get out is why would a firm take on a partner (leaving aside for a moment those who move out at more junior levels) with no client base or book. The answer to that is purely situational economies. Regulatory or enforcement people from hot practice areas can move into Biglaw easily. If your area is not hot, it is really, really hard.

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:45 am Post subject:

By the way, I hereby declare that getting the first post on a new page is the moral equivalent of a K.

Tyrone_Slothrop
I post, ergo I am

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:18 pm Post subject:

On_n'a_qu'une_vie wrote:
By the way, I hereby declare that getting the first post on a new page is the moral equivalent of a K.

It happens every 20 posts instead of every 1000. Is this moral equivalence inside the Beltway? Hmmph.

robustpuppy
My rank is higher than your rank.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:30 pm Post subject: Re: Revolving door

On_n'a_qu'une_vie wrote:

. . .leaving aside for a moment those who move out at more junior levels . . .

Your moment is up. As it is more likely that the govt. attorneys who read these Boards are junior, talking about exit opps. for them might generate more traffic.

This is not to diminish the value of your discussion re: partnership level exit opps. It highlights the need for a junior govt. attys. to plan his/her exit so as not to lose the opportunity to make one.

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Revolving door

robustpuppy wrote:
It highlights the need for a junior govt. attys. to plan his/her exit so as not to lose the opportunity to make one.

I agree. Jr. level government types may be best served by trying to move to a policy/political track as soon as possible. The bulk of line attorneys are a dime a dozen when it comes to attracting the interest of private firms [no offense meant personally to the many line attorneys I know and work with].

On_n'a_qu'une_vie
I Sure Do Post A Lot

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:04 pm Post subject:

Tyrone_Slothrop wrote:
It happens every 20 posts instead of every 1000. Is this moral equivalence inside the Beltway? Hmmph.

Give a guy a break. Sheesh!

Besides, many of those around here will vouch for my untter ineptitude at K racing, as well as my taste for self-effacing irony.

Closed Thread