LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 365
0 members and 365 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #4171
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
The odds of success were long, but these people were not "not a threat."
YMMV, but those descriptions are of pathetic people. They sound like a crowd in desperate need of mental health counseling.

This, however, was quite interesting. Not surprising, but interesting: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29F0KH
Old 01-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #4172
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: May it please the court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Agreed.

The biggest problems with the election and the process were (i) the Brooks Brothers Riot, in which Republicans used threats of violence to stop a count and (ii) the decision in the Supreme Court, which is a partisan piece of trash.

All other issues in that election are secondary.
As I recall it, weren't the numbers so close and the defects in controversial rejected and accepted ballots so arguable from both sides that the real answer is Nobody Won Florida?

Funny to think a loon like Roger Stone, who initiated the Brooks Bros. riot, has had such an outsized impact on our politics. Again, I have return to the characterization, Kubrickian Black Comedy.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #4173
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Flower, is this ironic?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/polit...ied/index.html

Fun fact: The Camp Auschwitz guy, you know know one of the guys protesting that votes were forged? He has a criminal record that includes a felony conviction for forging public documents! Maybe relevant in a "it takes one to know one way?"
Old 01-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #4174
sebastian_dangerfield

Germany and France Oppose Twitter Ban for Trump

I, uh, did not expect this... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-problematic
Old 01-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #4175
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Funny, lots of people got angry at Twitter, but I didn't hear rage at Cumulus:

Quote:
After months of stoking anger about alleged election fraud, one of America’s largest talk-radio companies has decided on an abrupt change of direction.

Cumulus Media, which employs some of the most popular right-leaning talk-radio hosts in the United States, has told its on-air personalities to stop suggesting that the election was stolen from President Trump — or else face termination.

A Cumulus executive issued the directive on Wednesday, just as Congress met to certify Joe Biden’s election victory and an angry mob of Trump supporters marched on the Capitol, overwhelmed police and briefly occupied the building, terrorizing lawmakers and leading to the deaths of five people.
WaPo
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #4176
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

It was a self-coup.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-11-2021, 11:35 PM   #4177
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
It was a self-coup.
That person is confusing dementia/terminal narcissism/ADHD with cunning and strategic forethought.

No.

His strategy is spaghetti-at-the-wall and see what sticks.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #4178
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
That person is confusing dementia/terminal narcissism/ADHD with cunning and strategic forethought.

No.

His strategy is spaghetti-at-the-wall and see what sticks.
I didn't read the article but I agree with sebby: he's too stupid/mentally deranged to actually plan...anything.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #4179
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I didn't read the article but I agree with sebby: he's too stupid/mentally deranged to actually plan...anything.
The article (by Fiona Hill, the NSC Russia expert who testified in the impeachment hearing) describes self-coups as where a leader does extra-legal things to try to stay in power, rather than to seize power. Whatever you make of Trump's capabilities, and I suspect we are in similar places in how we assess the man, he has been trying to use the levers available to him to stay in power. It's not a coincidence that he replaced top people at DoD with his own people since November, and that DoD resources were nowhere near the Capitol last Wednesday.

As for an explanation of what Trump was thinking and trying to do, this is the best I've seen, and it has held up pretty well over the last week. "In summary, the theory is that these are not the brightest guys, and things got out of hand."

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 01-12-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #4180
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
It was a self-coup.
Imagine 2020 and 2021 are a Venn Diagram, except the circles are tracks for trolleys and there is no switch.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #4181
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
The article (by Fiona Hill, the NSC Russia expert who testified in the impeachment hearing) describes self-coups as where a leader does extra-legal things to try to stay in power, rather than to seize power. Whatever you make of Trump's capabilities, and I suspect we are in similar places in how we assess the man, he has been trying to use the levers available to him to stay in power. It's not a coincidence that he replaced top people at DoD with his own people since November, and that DoD resources were nowhere near the Capitol last Wednesday.

As for an explanation of what Trump was thinking and trying to do, this is the best I've seen, and it has held up pretty well over the last week. "In summary, the theory is that these are not the brightest guys, and things got out of hand."
George Conway basically has my proxy on Trump. This article he wrote over a year ago is still spot on:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...office/599128/

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 01-12-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #4182
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

That was both accurate (IMO... I agree with almost every assessment he made) and incredibly funny.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 01-12-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #4183
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
That was both accurate (IMO... I agree with almost every assessment he made) and incredibly funny.
More like a little of both
Old 01-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #4184
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Hey Hank, any idea what they might charge Snyder with?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #4185
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Hey Hank, any idea what they might charge Snyder with?
Partisan bullshit. The story is a pretty tragic series of ignoring shit and horrible co-incidi, but at lower levels. I have seen nothing about Snyder himself (but I don't have access to the emails). Dunno what they will charge him with.

Almost think this is a desperate attempt to overcome the negative feelings the gov, and by extension all D's, are attracting from people of all political beliefs relative to her covid response.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-13-2021 at 10:16 AM..
Closed Thread