LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 171
0 members and 171 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #2761
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Squeeeeeeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I would call you a troll
he who says the word
is the one whose posts absurd.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #2762
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
When you (you, Sebby -- not you in the sense of someone) say "shrill liberals," could be referring to those liberals who are shrill just as you refer to those conservatives who are shrill, in the same sense that you could refer to Justice Merrick Garland just as you refer to Justice Neil Gorsuch. But you aren't because we live in a world in which the people who are dismissed categorically as shrill are liberals, not conservatives, a world in which you, Sebby, have never ever referred to shrill conservatives until you started pretending that you might in this thread.

I would call you a troll for using it, except that trolling is a choice, and you used the phrase without thinking about it, because in your own brain you tune out liberals as shrill. You weren't throwing a hand grenade. You were mindlessly repeating a stale cliche.

But you see that now, so problem solved, and it's time for the drum circle.
I applaud anyone making the effort to read my mind. It's not exactly an easy thing, even for me.

But you assume incorrectly. I am actually a huge fan of the word "shrill." While I might've used it without thinking terribly deeply (I don't recall), it never fails.

If it were such a vacant word, it would have fallen flat. It could be and would be dismissed, overlooked. But it wasn't. At least not by you. You've moved from being irritated by its use to suggesting you only desired that I be enlightened as to the poor reflection it casts on its users. I'll read your mind a bit and suggest that's post hoc.

But I'm game for a drum circle. I'd much rather discuss Ernest Borgnine's masturbation habits than jockey with you for smartest guy in the room. We all know it's you. It's always you.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #2763
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Dude, you can't be gunning for a fight with the venerable urban dictionary, can you?
UD? I concede.

(Sincerely, I never heard that word before.)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #2764
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Well, we descended from kumbayah to your Borgnine-kink quickly.
I should have gone with Marty Feldman. I feared he was too obscure.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #2765
Snidely Condescending

Quote:
Between this, PLF getting to share Sebby's dope, and Adder channeling Hank, I feel like this has become a real kumbaya kind of place. Drum circle, anyone?
Shouldn’t you be posting this in Sanskrit?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #2766
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Condescending View Post
Shouldn’t you be posting this in Sanskrit?
Will Urdu work? My Sanskrit is rusty.

آپ کو بھاڑ میں جاؤ
Old 09-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #2767
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I can cross reference two of just about any words and give you three pages of google links (most of which are regurgitations of the same text from aggregators). "Ernest Borgnine nude" and "jalapeno cheesecake" each deliver ten pages of links.

Try again.
Ha ha ha!!! Yes! Brilliant!! The fact that Adder was, in seconds and with the most rudimentary internet search, able to find dozens of articles about the tendency to label Hillary as shrill IN NO WAY refutes your assertion that "Hillary wasn't branded as shrill." Ha ha!!! In fact, I think it actually proves you were correct, right! TOTALLY!! You are perfect in every way!

[Serious confidential inquiry: are you dabbing the shatter? I would love to be able to just become completely untethered from reality like that, but dabbing seems like it requires a whole lot of capital expenditure to get into. Like, you need a blowtorch or something? Anyhoo, kudos to you for breaking out the heavy firepower like that so early in the day. Respect.]

I am not sorry.

Last edited by Pretty Little Flower; 09-10-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #2768
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Ha ha ha!!! Yes! Brilliant!! The fact that Adder was, in seconds and with the most rudimentary internet search, able to find dozens of articles about the tendency to label Hillary as shrill IN NO WAY refutes your assertion that "Hillary wasn't branded as shrill." Ha ha!!! In fact, I think it actually proves you were correct, right! TOTALLY!! You are perfect in every way!

[Serious confidential inquiry: are you dabbing the shatter? I would love to be able to just become completely untethered from reality like that, but dabbing seems like it requires a whole lot of capital expenditure to get into. Like, you need a blowtorch or something? Anyhoo, kudos to you for breaking out the heavy firepower like that so early in the day. Respect.]
When people complain to me that your posts aren't particularly erudite, I always tell them that you bring the stoner cred that the board otherwise lacks. Be strong!
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #2769
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
When people complain to me that your posts aren't particularly erudite, I always tell them that you bring the stoner cred that the board otherwise lacks. Be strong!
Hilarious! A fellow poster on the 420-4EVAH forum just posted to say that I brought an intellectual bent to the discussion that had been sorely missing.

I am not sorry.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #2770
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Damn, man, you give Sebby no credit at all. That is cold.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #2771
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Damn, man, you give Sebby no credit at all. That is cold.
He's shrill. No stoner cred.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #2772
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
He's shrill. No stoner cred.
This is the most inaccurate post about sebby ever. Congrats!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #2773
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This is the most inaccurate post about sebby ever. Congrats!
I hear it's effective, so it's all good.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #2774
Not Bob

Take a moment.

Thanks again to leagleaze for saving these posts from Infirm from 17 years ago today. Every year I try to read them and every year I fail to get very far.

Last edited by Not Bob; 09-11-2018 at 09:29 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #2775
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Take a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Thanks again to leagleaze for saving these posts from Infirm from 17 years ago today. Every year I try to read them and every year I fail to get very far.
All the loss, the global unity in its wake... That possibility we could have channeled all the energy in a direction many times more positive than the horror of that day... Instead, we attacked Iraq.

Seventeen years, hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis, and thousands of dead Americans down the road, to what end? A few trillion pissed away, a balkanized Middle East, an avoidable Great Recession, a new Cold War, a trade war, and a polarized, incurious, and largely ignorant population. All the goodwill we accrued from that scarring event, domestically and globally, has been flushed, erased.

Reminds me of that line from Peter Fonda to Dennis Hopper near the end of Easy Rider, just before they're murdered by mutant rednecks: "We blew it..."

I'd like to recall the emotional pull of that moment, the feeling we were all in something together. But what's come since has rendered consideration of the fear and pain of that morning near impossible. The following interregnum leaves you with nothing but regret at the seemingly endless lost possibilities. We seriously, irredeemably, fucked up the response.