LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 225
0 members and 225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #616
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
What about that is the same as asking the FBI for his personal loyalty to you, asking him more than once to stop investigating your friend, firing him because he didn't, telling the Russians that you fired him to take the heat off and then publicly saying you fired him to end the investigation?

I mean, aside from your deep-seated need to insist that this administration is not substantively different.
Why? Why are you asking him this question? What is the fucking point?

TM
Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #617
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
What about that is the same as asking the FBI for his personal loyalty to you, asking him more than once to stop investigating your friend, firing him because he didn't, telling the Russians that you fired him to take the heat off and then publicly saying you fired him to end the investigation?

I mean, aside from your deep-seated need to insist that this administration is not substantively different.
It's a stinkbomb at the parade. That sort of thing pleases me when it happens in any situation where one side thinks it's going to be their "big day."

Actually, the whole thing was largely blehhh.

But yes, Lynch's behaviors are on the same continuum. Much milder, but still smelling up the place. And unlike our fearless leader, she knows better.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #618
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Maga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Much of the New Testament was written decades later by people who did not personally know him. The different books were written at different times and places by different people for different purposes.
The Zoroastrian myth thing (likewise the same theory repeated with Hindu or Buddhist influence replacing Zoroastrian) can only be even suggested by someone who hasn't read much in the way of either Avestian texts or Biblical scholarship. There's not a lot of overlap in either the story line or the theology. This is the kind of theory 18 year olds on mushrooms develop while trying to half-remember assignments they read while stoned.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #619
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
But yes, Lynch's behaviors are on the same continuum. Much milder, but still smelling up the place.
Except it's not. She talked with him about how he was going to communicate with the public. She did not ask him not to investigate.

She shouldn't have done it because it looks bad when he tells people about it. Not because it was obstruction of justice.

Quote:
And unlike our fearless leader, she knows better.
Right, he didn't know better, which is why he twice made sure no one else was in the room while he was doing it.

TM is right. As usual.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #620
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Or perhaps Trump was just engaging in business as usual?
LANKFORD: Then you made a comment earlier a the attorney general, the previous attorney general asking you about the investigation on the Clinton e-mails saying you were asked to not call it an investigation anymore. But call it a matter. You said that confused you. You can give us additional details on that?

COMEY: Well, it concerned me because we were at the point where we refused to confirm the existence as we typically do of an investigation for months. And was getting to a place where that looked silly because the campaigns we're talking about interacting with the FBI in the course of our work. The Clinton campaign at the time was using all kinds of euphemisms, security matters, things like that for what was going on.

We were getting to a place where the attorney general and I were both going to testify and talk publicly about it I wanted to know was she going to authorize us to confirm we have an investigation. She said yes, don't call it that, call it a matter. I said why would I do that? She said, just call it a matter. You look back in hindsight, if I looked back and said this isn't a hill worth dying on so I just said the press is going to completely ignore it. That's what happened when I said we opened a matter.

They all reported the FBI has an investigation open. So that concerned me because that language tracked the way the campaign was talking about the FBI's work and that's concerning.

LANKFORD: You gave impression that the campaign was somehow using the language as the FBI because you were handed the campaign language?

COMEY: I don't know whether it was intentional or not but it gave the impression that the attorney general was looking to align the way we talked about our work with the way it was describing that. It was inaccurate. We had an investigation open for the federal bureau of investigation, we had an investigation open at the time. That gave me a quesy feeling.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/politi...nch/index.html
Seriously, Sebby?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #621
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
The Zoroastrian myth thing (likewise the same theory repeated with Hindu or Buddhist influence replacing Zoroastrian) can only be even suggested by someone who hasn't read much in the way of either Avestian texts or Biblical scholarship. There's not a lot of overlap in either the story line or the theology. This is the kind of theory 18 year olds on mushrooms develop while trying to half-remember assignments they read while stoned.
I read the following on my commute this morning:

Quote:
Jesus's resemblance to mythological figures such as Osiris, Hercules, and Mithra, which is sometimes argued as evidence that he, too, is a purely mythological figure, is both vastly overstated and not nearly as interesting as the Christ-as-myth theory's proponents appear to believe.
From Tom Bissell's Apostle, p 323.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #622
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I read the following on my commute this morning:

From Tom Bissell's Apostle, p 323.
But if you're a fan of recapitulated Osiris myths there is some really great stuff in Moby Dick.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #623
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
What I've seen on hallucinogens, particularly mushrooms, makes a hell of a lot more sense than organized religion.

No amount of analysis or discussion of religion in scholarly terms will elevate it. You can't shine shit, or make bad fiction into biography.

It's nonsense. I cannot fathom how people as smart as you could see otherwise. I'd let it go, of course, as people are entitled to believe whatever silly nonsense they like, but religion is one of the prime sources is for needless division and violence in the world. There is no good reason to carry its water.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #624
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Seriously, Sebby?
You've tried cases. It's great fun to see a prosecutor get hit with a black swan in the midst of a strident cross-examination. This is along those lines.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #625
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
But if you're a fan of recapitulated Osiris myths there is some really great stuff in Moby Dick.
I'm a fan of Moby Dick, but I don't think I have an opinion one way or the other about recapitulated Osiris myths as a more general phenomenon.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #626
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
You've tried cases. It's great fun to see a prosecutor get hit with a black swan in the midst of a strident cross-examination. This is along those lines.
According to an anonymous source linked to Lynch in this morning's New York Times, "use of the bland term was intended to neither confirm nor deny that the investigation existed — as was standard Justice Department and F.B.I. practice." From my own familiarity with the way that DOJ crafts press releases, this makes lots of sense. Your commitment to finding a black swan here, on the other hand, is telling. I guess if you're going to eschew religion, you need some other form of nonsense to be intellectually and spiritually committed to.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #627
sebastian_dangerfield

You've got no love for the underdog/That's why you will not survive...

Quote:
According to an anonymous source linked to Lynch in this morning's New York Times, "use of the bland term was intended to neither confirm nor deny that the investigation existed — as was standard Justice Department and F.B.I. practice." From my own familiarity with the way that DOJ crafts press releases, this makes lots of sense. Your commitment to finding a black swan here, on the other hand, is telling. I guess if you're going to eschew religion, you need some other form of nonsense to be intellectually and spiritually committed to.
It was enough to get Comey's panties in a twist.

Show me a room full of people high on self-righteousness and sure they're going get satisfaction, like the people who've been salivating over Trump being savaged in the Comey hearings, and I'll always try to pee on the party.

If you're rooting for the authorities, you've no romance in your heart.

(Besides, the Comey hearing is a joke. What Trump should fear is Mueller.)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #628
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I'm a fan of Moby Dick, but I don't think I have an opinion one way or the other about recapitulated Osiris myths as a more general phenomenon.
I think Melville kind of spoiled it for the rest. He simply did it too well.

Kind of like Nixon with vain, corrupt, unconstitutional, megalomania. He played out a grand tragedy, worthy even of a grand opera (Nixon in China) where this Moron is just playing out a farce (I mean, Trump dissin' Qatar would be more a second rate The Producers than a grand opera).
Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #629
Pretty Little Flower

Re: You've got no love for the underdog/That's why you will not survive...

Quote:
It was enough to get Comey's panties in a twist.

Show me a room full of people high on self-righteousness and sure they're going get satisfaction, like the people who've been salivating over Trump being savaged in the Comey hearings, and I'll always try to pee on the party.

If you're rooting for the authorities, you've no romance in your heart.

(Besides, the Comey hearing is a joke. What Trump should fear is Mueller.)
Sebastian. Trump is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES now. It is actually fucking astounding how even your psilocybin-and-whiskey addled brain could cast Trump, the leader of the most powerful nation in the world who has decided the rules don't apply to him and he can use the power of the office to do whatever the fuck he pleases, as the underdog.

Back with the Daily Dose after slacking off most of the week. Some Jack McDuff with some instrumental grooves to slide you into a smoking hot weekend (at least here) real easy. The Heatin' System:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVyNuzUmJM

I am not sorry.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #630
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: You've got no love for the underdog/That's why you will not survive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Sebastian. Trump is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES now. It is actually fucking astounding how even your psilocybin-and-whiskey addled brain could cast Trump, the leader of the most powerful nation in the world who has decided the rules don't apply to him and he can use the power of the office to do whatever the fuck he pleases, as the underdog.

Back with the Daily Dose after slacking off most of the week. Some Jack McDuff with some instrumental grooves to slide you into a smoking hot weekend (at least here) real easy. The Heatin' System:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVyNuzUmJM
In Sebby's defense, wouldn't you admit the guy is an underdog in any battle of the wits?