LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 324
0 members and 324 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #4726
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: More Sebby bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Nope. But we've hosted parties for both NBC and Fox--last week on the same night!

No one was injured.

TM
Lost opportunity.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #4727
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Impeachment Hearing

I know we're all drowning in political bullshit. But the Republicans' collective performance in this hearing is absolutely disgraceful. The lies, obfuscation, pushing of conspiracy theories, [not-so-]blind loyalty to Trump and this Administration is a true fucking embarrassment.

This country is over.

TM
Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #4728
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Impeachment Hearing

Quote:
I know we're all drowning in political bullshit. But the Republicans' collective performance in this hearing is absolutely disgraceful. The lies, obfuscation, pushing of conspiracy theories, [not-so-]blind loyalty to Trump and this Administration is a true fucking embarrassment.

This country is over.

TM
We must do what we can to preserve the idea of civilization.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #4729
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Lost opportunity.
Not that Fox? I think Fox Sport is on the corner?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #4730
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
We must do what we can to preserve the idea of civilization.
US Govt, right back at you: “You think you’ve seen the worst? Hold our beers...” https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...evening&wpmm=1
Old 12-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #4731
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I just want to know: does the Elgin have an Aviation Gin cocktail yet?
It should.

It’s a tasty gin. It could have more flavor, but it’s incredibly smooth.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #4732
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

This country is over.

TM
Agreed. The government has been debased in a way unparalleled since McCarthyism. On the bright side, the Wagyu burger I had at the Elgin reminds me that good still exists in the universe, even when the rest of my family persists in veganism.

I am not sorry.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #4733
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
US Govt, right back at you: “You think you’ve seen the worst? Hold our beers...” https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...evening&wpmm=1
Andrew Exum was interesting on this. He thinks the DC DOD crowd was pretty uniformly consistent in questioning the war and thinking it was just a damn bad idea. But the field commanders were uniformly consistent in being more optimistic. And the Presidents kept siding with the people in the field.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #4734
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Not that Fox? I think Fox Sport is on the corner?
The Fox Death Star sits on the corner.

TM
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #4735
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: So that's the place they harassed and assaulted all those women

Quote:
The Fox Death Star sits on the corner.

TM
F*cking NY elitists.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #4736
sebastian_dangerfield

Where Was Air Force One Addressed in McCain Feingold?

Trump got in trouble because he used his office, and taxpayer money, for political gain. Any senator or congressman would be in similar trouble for doing the same. Look at Christie in NJ, for example.

But Presidents are allowed to use Air Force One to travel to political events? How is the use of AFO for political travel not an abuse of power?

For as long as I can recall, I'd hear news stories starting with, "President Reagan traveled to Ohio today to support so and so..." or "President Clinton was in Los Angeles to meet with donors at..." They've all done it. They do it all the time.

I guess the argument is, "How else would the President travel? He has to use AFO."

Okay, well if that's the case, then shouldn't his party reimburse taxpayers for his use of the jet for party political events? Or maybe he shouldn't be allowed to simply use the jet because he feels like it? How much have we spent on Trump's trips to Mar a Lago?

I understand that it's difficult to separate the political from the official, and using one's resources for political ends (holding press conferences or taking foreign trips for political gain, starting investigations for political purposes, siccing agencies on political opponents, etc.) has been common forever. But this is openly using a plane that costs a fortune per hour to operate for political purposes. Openly. Presidents will talk to the press on the tarmac about how they're going to get in the plane, with a cadre of expensive Secret Service people, and fly to some location to support a political ally at some rally or other event. They nakedly admit using it to travel to fundraisers.

How is this not an unlawful use of govt money for political purposes?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #4737
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Where Was Air Force One Addressed in McCain Feingold?

Quote:
Okay, well if that's the case, then shouldn't his party reimburse taxpayers for his use of the jet for party political events?
I'm pretty sure that's what happens for campaign and non-official events.

ETA: Or I guess the reimburse for the cost of an equivalent charter flight, which of course is way less than actual cost: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3405405002/

Quote:
How much have we spent on Trump's trips to Mar a Lago?
$124 million, I think, is the last number I heard. I don't think they reimburse for presidential R&R.

Last edited by Adder; 12-11-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #4738
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Trump got in trouble because he used his office, and taxpayer money, for political gain. Any senator or congressman would be in similar trouble for doing the same. Look at Christie in NJ, for example.

But Presidents are allowed to use Air Force One to travel to political events? How is the use of AFO for political travel not an abuse of power?

For as long as I can recall, I'd hear news stories starting with, "President Reagan traveled to Ohio today to support so and so..." or "President Clinton was in Los Angeles to meet with donors at..." They've all done it. They do it all the time.

I guess the argument is, "How else would the President travel? He has to use AFO."

Okay, well if that's the case, then shouldn't his party reimburse taxpayers for his use of the jet for party political events? Or maybe he shouldn't be allowed to simply use the jet because he feels like it? How much have we spent on Trump's trips to Mar a Lago?

I understand that it's difficult to separate the political from the official, and using one's resources for political ends (holding press conferences or taking foreign trips for political gain, starting investigations for political purposes, siccing agencies on political opponents, etc.) has been common forever. But this is openly using a plane that costs a fortune per hour to operate for political purposes. Openly. Presidents will talk to the press on the tarmac about how they're going to get in the plane, with a cadre of expensive Secret Service people, and fly to some location to support a political ally at some rally or other event. They nakedly admit using it to travel to fundraisers.

How is this not an unlawful use of govt money for political purposes?
There is apparently some ambiguous reimbursement process, and some lack of clarity that encourages name-calling and accusations:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ticizing-obama

I am not sorry.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #4739
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what happens for campaign and non-official events.

ETA: Or I guess the reimburse for the cost of an equivalent charter flight, which of course is way less than actual cost: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3405405002/

$124 million, I think, is the last number I heard. I don't think they reimburse for presidential R&R.
I read the link. I love how the Administration gets to decide what's political and what's official.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #4740
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Biden

I know that we're far off from the election and Biden steps on his dick and Warren/Bernie/Mayor Pete are surging in this or that state's polls, but can one of you tell me again why Biden's numbers are still so strong? Because none of you have convinced me he won't win by the biggest margin (exactly for the reasons I've stated here numerous times).

Quote:
Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are running neck-and-neck in the Lone Star State, with Trump narrowly leading by a 48-47 margin in a new CNN poll released Wednesday.

He has more sizable leads against Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), 51-44, and against Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D), 50-43.

However, the single-digit leads could be cause for concern for the Trump campaign in the reliably red state. Trump won Texas by 9 points in 2016 over Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, the worst showing there for a Republican presidential candidate in 20 years, and Democrats are eager to try to flip the state’s electoral votes next year.
Let me guess. Poll is flawed somehow?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...tLcCCsYK_D5ZGs

TM
Closed Thread