LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Vacations

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 135
0 members and 135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #241
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Kauai

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
1) Do this for sure. There are many parts of the island you can't really see unless you're on a helicopter. Plus you get to see the Fantasy Island waterfall and you all get to say "the plane, boss. the plane." Good times.
And the Jurassic Park waterfall.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #242
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Kauai

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
Anybody have any must-do or must-see or must-eat or must-drink recommendations for Kauai? Heading there very, very soon. I've read the guidebooks, but if any body has more personal recommendations, I'd love to hear 'em.
Fucker. You bogarted my honeymoon thread.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #243
NotFromHere
No title

Kauai

Quote:
Originally posted by Did you just call me Coltrane?
Dude, you've got a whole fucking year to make up your mind. Ollie was like, in a hurry.

Last edited by NotFromHere; 06-22-2005 at 02:26 PM..
NotFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #244
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Kauai

Quote:
Why is hawaii out of the picture, anyway?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #245
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Kauai

Quote:
I expanded your honeymoon thread. And like nfh said, time is of the essence here.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #246

Kauai

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Why is hawaii out of the picture, anyway?
Well, I was kidding about the "bogarting", but it seems that everyone goes to Hawaii. Plus, I hate American tourists.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #247
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Kauai

Quote:
1) take the helicopter ride around the Na Pali. Make reservations in advance. I think the advice was to go as early in the morning as possible, before it becomes cloudy.

2) If you were Bilmore I'd say kayak the Na Pali, too. But are you? Make sure you're in decent shape--it's a long slog, but worth it.

3) Go the the Grand Canyon of Hawaii, or whatever they call the Waimea(?) canyon. On the car west of the island. But, and this is really important, go really early, because the clouds do matter there. We wen 2-3 times, and got clouded out at the na pali overlook each time.

4) The food was less impressive on Kauai, as it draws a less touristy crowd than maui/west side Big Island/Oahu. For something fun and cheap, try Ono Burger. There was also a good fish place in a mall on the northeast side, but I'd have to check my notes at home to get the name. Also there was a sushi place in one of the towns near there. Maybe Kapa'a or nearby there.
If you like hiking, I suggest a hike along the Na Pali coast (start near Hanalei and head west). The full hike is long (11 miles). I suggest hiking two miles on the coast, and then another two miles inland to this remote waterfall (only accessible by foot, but there are a few signs to guide you). Go swimming, have lunch, and hike out. Bring lots of water to drink.

I'm a bigger fan of the Hanalei Bay area (the north) than the southern and south-eastern portions of Kauai. There'a bit more rain up north, but it seems less processed and touristy than the rest of Kauai.

If Waimea Canyon is one of the first things you do, then it will be pretty impressive. If it's one of the last things you do (after helicopter rides into the mountains and viewing hundreds of waterfalls), then it may appear to be "just another beautiful valley". My experience with Hawaii is that initially every tree, beach, and cliff is a photo opportunity, but by the end of the trip it will take something pretty spectacular to "wow" you.

I've never tried Ono burger, but I'd definitely recommend Bubba's for burgers.
soup sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #248
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Kauai

Quote:
Plus, I hate American tourists.
Then go to Kauai. More Japanese than American.

Then again, you'll never see an American in the greek isles.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #249

Kauai

Quote:
Then go to Kauai. More Japanese than American.

Then again, you'll never see an American in the greek isles.
Just drunken Kiwis/Australians?

Hawaii is really only out because it just doesn't interest me that much. Don't know why. It looks beautiful and exotic, so I can't explain it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #250
robustpuppy

Kauai

Quote:
Just drunken Kiwis/Australians?

Hawaii is really only out because it just doesn't interest me that much. Don't know why. It looks beautiful and exotic, so I can't explain it.
People rave about Hawaii for honeymoons because apparently the wedding industrical complex makes it so easy to have a fabulous time there. It strikes me as a very reliable honeymoon choice; nothing will be difficult and you'll have lots to do and see. I know people who have done European honeymoons and wished they hadn't, but I think they tried to see too much.

Go to Fiji.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #251

Kauai

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
People rave about Hawaii for honeymoons because apparently the wedding industrical complex makes it so easy to have a fabulous time there. It strikes me as a very reliable honeymoon choice; nothing will be difficult and you'll have lots to do and see. I know people who have done European honeymoons and wished they hadn't, but I think they tried to see too much.

Go to Fiji.
I've heard the same. People try to see too much in too little time. We learned our lesson when we did Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg & Vienna in 9 days (including travel). However, besides trying to fit in too many cities/sites, we had an unbelievable time. I actually prefer that things aren't planned per the wedding industrial complex. Fuck them. I have the rest of my life to sit on a beach.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #252
robustpuppy

Kauai

Quote:
I've heard the same. People try to see too much in too little time. We learned our lesson when we did Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg & Vienna in 9 days (including travel). However, besides trying to fit in too many cities/sites, we had an unbelievable time. I actually prefer that things aren't planned per the wedding industrial complex. Fuck them. I have the rest of my life to sit on a beach.
I agree, but the trick for a honeymoon, I think, is to go to a place where you can fill your days based on your mood that morning, without having made too many advance arrangements, because you will be sick of planning by the time you get there. So someplace in Europe where you can decide on the spur of the moment whether to go to the beach or hiking or shopping or to museums or to sit in a cafe and get wasted would be ideal. As would New Zealand. Move your wedding date up to February or March!

robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #253
NotFromHere
No title

Honeymoon Suggestions

Quote:
Lake Como looks really cool (but expensive).
George Clooney prefers it this way - it keeps you American tourists out.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #254

Honeymoon Suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
George Clooney prefers it this way - it keeps you American tourists out.
I'm sure the Comoans love his basketball court. All celebrities are American proles -- don't you know this? Poor taste, new money, conspicuous consumption, immeasurable insecurities, etc. Hey, looks like you have something in common!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #255
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Kauai

Quote:
dude. Once you get married she has to let you have sex. Don't forget to save lots of time for that. Why do you want to go someplace where she'll want you to go look at things?