LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Technology

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 44
0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #121
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator
 
taxwonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: In a teeny, tiny, little office
Posts: 14,167
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Elk View Post
The Siren of the 3G iPad is calling to me. I am trying very hard to stick to my rule of never buying first generation gadgets. That's a good rule, right?
It's an excellent rule. Especially with Apple.
__________________
Send in the evil clowns.
taxwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #122
Gattigap
Southern charmer
 
Gattigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: At the Great Altar of Passive Entertainment
Posts: 7,033
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
It's an excellent rule. Especially with Apple.
And yet, this iPad thingie is pretty damn cool. It's not a replacement for everything in your life, but as an overpriced media consumption device, it's a very good media consumption device.
Gattigap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #123
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Moderator
 
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pop goes the chupacabra
Posts: 18,518
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Elk View Post
The Siren of the 3G iPad is calling to me. I am trying very hard to stick to my rule of never buying first generation gadgets. That's a good rule, right?
It seems like there are not major hardware issues, and software can always be updated.

But, Apple does seem to use a strategy of holding back some features in the 1st gen. model so that it can "add value" to the next release. So the main question is whether you're willing to trade off 6-9 months of use for the strong possibility that come early next year you'll be want to buy the next generation model because of some new feature.

Remarkably Apple's products do seem to retain a fair degree of resale value, so you might be able to get some of the cost back.
__________________
[Dictated but not read]
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #124
Gattigap
Southern charmer
 
Gattigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: At the Great Altar of Passive Entertainment
Posts: 7,033
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
It seems like there are not major hardware issues, and software can always be updated.

But, Apple does seem to use a strategy of holding back some features in the 1st gen. model so that it can "add value" to the next release. So the main question is whether you're willing to trade off 6-9 months of use for the strong possibility that come early next year you'll be want to buy the next generation model because of some new feature.

Remarkably Apple's products do seem to retain a fair degree of resale value, so you might be able to get some of the cost back.
If it's not an iPhone, why would I want it?
Gattigap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #125
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!
 
Anne Elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: under a rock
Posts: 2,711
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
It seems like there are not major hardware issues, and software can always be updated.

But, Apple does seem to use a strategy of holding back some features in the 1st gen. model so that it can "add value" to the next release. So the main question is whether you're willing to trade off 6-9 months of use for the strong possibility that come early next year you'll be want to buy the next generation model because of some new feature.

Remarkably Apple's products do seem to retain a fair degree of resale value, so you might be able to get some of the cost back.

I want one so I can get away from Big Brother and use Flickr, Twitter, FB (and of course lawtalkers) without IT looming over my shoulder. I'd also use it for storing PDFs (knitting patterns). Oh, and watch baseball. Only reason I haven't ponied up for the full version of AtBat is the tiny screen and the fact that I don't want to drain my phone battery.

Don't really care about the lack of a camera since I always have at least one with me.

ETA: I have also pondered a Netbook.

(I'm really good at justifying this potential purchase.)
__________________
All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that not going to last. - Proust

Last edited by Anne Elk; 07-01-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Anne Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #126
Fugee
Patch Diva
 
Fugee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Winter Wonderland
Posts: 4,607
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattigap View Post
Hilarious.

I think someone with mad skilz or extra time should use that xtranormal site to make a video from some of the interactions between the ret. unicorn and TM.
Fugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #127
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Moderator
 
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pop goes the chupacabra
Posts: 18,518
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Elk View Post
I want one so I can get away from Big Brother and use Flickr, Twitter, FB (and of course lawtalkers) without IT looming over my shoulder. I'd also use it for storing PDFs (knitting patterns). Oh, and watch baseball. Only reason I haven't ponied up for the full version of AtBat is the tiny screen and the fact that I don't want to drain my phone battery.

Don't really care about the lack of a camera since I always have at least one with me.

ETA: I have also pondered a Netbook.

(I'm really good at justifying this potential purchase.)
I'm never going to strongly take the side of "don't buy a new gadget".

One thing I'm not sure about though--can you access wifi at work, outside the work servers? Otherwise you're going to be using data, and that'll cost you. Flickr's a data hog, and so are the tits that get posted here.
__________________
[Dictated but not read]
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #128
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.
 
Atticus Grinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,117
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
But, Apple does seem to use a strategy of holding back some features in the 1st gen. model so that it can "add value" to the next release. So the main question is whether you're willing to trade off 6-9 months of use for the strong possibility that come early next year you'll be want to buy the next generation model because of some new feature.
It seems pretty obvious from the iPhone 4 that the 2nd gen iPad feature is a forward-facing camera so you can have iPhone-iPhone or iPad-iPhone conversations in FaceTime and the iPad will be a Magic Mirror picture frame. Be guided by this as something to wait for only after considering that people will probably use FaceTime about as often as they use video in iChat, which is to say rarely. Maybe road warriors' MMV, but I dread the day my wife calls and says "Hey, turn on FaceTime" and I'm all "No" not because there's anything untoward going on, but because I told her I was walking to my car and would be home in 15 minutes when the reality is I'm still in my office.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #129
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Moderator
 
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pop goes the chupacabra
Posts: 18,518
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
Maybe road warriors' MMV, but I dread the day my wife calls and says "Hey, turn on FaceTime" and I'm all "No" not because there's anything untoward going on, but because I told her I was walking to my car and would be home in 15 minutes when the reality is I'm still in my office.
Easy: "Not near a wi-fi network, honey."
__________________
[Dictated but not read]
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #130
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.
 
Atticus Grinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,117
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Easy: "Not near a wi-fi network, honey."
Great tip, but what if she thinks I'm at the office but I'm really at In-n-Out for the third time that week? TIA.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #131
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler
 
Cletus Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,997
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
Great tip, but what if she thinks I'm at the office but I'm really at In-n-Out for the third time that week? TIA.
"office network is down. the government doesn't save it's best services for itself"
__________________
never incredibly annoying
Cletus Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #132
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.
 
Atticus Grinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,117
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Miller View Post
"office network is down. the government doesn't save it's best services for itself"
Whatever I'm paying you and Burger, it isn't enough. My gratitude will have to suffice.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #133
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator
 
taxwonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: In a teeny, tiny, little office
Posts: 14,167
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Miller View Post
"office network is down. the government doesn't save it's best services for itself"
Isn't the next generation supposed to have built-in broadband wireless?
__________________
Send in the evil clowns.
taxwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #134
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.
 
Atticus Grinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,117
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
Isn't the next generation supposed to have built-in broadband wireless?
At present, FaceTime only works when an iPhone 4 is connected via wi-fi. This is probably contractual with AT&T for bandwidth reasons. No reason to think the hypothetical FaceTime for iPad 2 would be different. Three million people running two-way streaming video would fark their network.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #135
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Moderator
 
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pop goes the chupacabra
Posts: 18,518
Re: Help me back away from the ledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
Whatever I'm paying you and Burger, it isn't enough. My gratitude will have to suffice.
Option 3: Mumble something about firewalls.
__________________
[Dictated but not read]
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.