LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 367
0 members and 367 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #2371
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
No, though I am damn close to my rock star weight. Just cut calories and counted them every day.
Lucky fucker. I have to kill off 800 calories a day and lift some weights to stay where I like. My knees are starting to betray me. And making up for it by bulking up muscle mass doesn't work. If you go too far, you look like a gym rat, which is just as bad as being fat.

I need to start smoking in earnest again. That always worked perfectly.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #2372
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Very nice but expensive and unless you can buy them on sale or at an outlet, not really worth it. For some reason, TM Lewin really fits me well now that I am thinner. And I can buy them for $29 each on sale.

Basically, my new hobby is buying clothes, then once I get them back from being altered, donating them because they no longer fit. Went from a size 50 to a size 42. Expensive fucking hobby.

ETA, I used to wear Nordstrom (because they were the fullest cut I could find) but the white noniron had a tendency to yellow after a while.
This is something like my hobby too, but since I wear a tee shirt and jeans most days, I am singlehandedly doing my best to keep Gustin in business.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #2373
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
Someone once chirped that fact that David Boies wore $200 Sears suits. To which I responded, "If I had a 200 IQ, I'd walk into court naked."
This reminds of a story the judge for whom I clerked told about Frank Easterbrook and his oral argument before a panel she was on before he was named to the bench. She said he convinced them all that he was much smarter than they were, and he also lost the decision 3-0.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #2374
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

plan my vacation

A week off, early July, not too spendy, easy travel from SF (long direct flights OK), no kids. Where should we go and what should we do?

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 05-30-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #2375
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: plan my vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
A week off, early July, not too speedy, easy travel from SF (long direct flights OK), no kids. Where should we go and what should we do?
This: https://www.aman.com/resorts/amangiri

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #2376
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Lucky fucker. I have to kill off 800 calories a day and lift some weights to stay where I like. My knees are starting to betray me. And making up for it by bulking up muscle mass doesn't work. If you go too far, you look like a gym rat, which is just as bad as being fat.

I need to start smoking in earnest again. That always worked perfectly.
Once I started diligently cutting calories every day, it worked though it has taken about 16 months. I have no idea how many calories I cut from my diet but it was probably a shit ton more than 800 a day.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #2377
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Once I started diligently cutting calories every day, it worked though it has taken about 16 months. I have no idea how many calories I cut from my diet but it was probably a shit ton more than 800 a day.
On this topic, I thought this book review was fascinating. I've done something similar over a similar period of time (without counting calories, which is not how I roll, but in other ways -- different strokes for different folks).
Old 05-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #2378
Icky Thump

Quote:
On this topic, I thought this book review was fascinating. I've done something similar over a similar period of time (without counting calories, which is not how I roll, but in other ways -- different strokes for different folks).
Actually, pretty interesting. I was ready to dismiss it and say yes it is "all we need is a little advice about how many calories to eat and burn, and a little willpower" but I think some of his theories got me to commit to the lower calorie plan.

While I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, counting calories has caused me to make specific choices that often lead to eating the same things regularly. I really have to go sparingly (if at all) on the delicious beer and bourbon and focus more on grilled chicken, salad, watermelon, rice cakes.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #2379
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Actually, pretty interesting. I was ready to dismiss it and say yes it is "all we need is a little advice about how many calories to eat and burn, and a little willpower" but I think some of his theories got me to commit to the lower calorie plan.

While I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, counting calories has caused me to make specific choices that often lead to eating the same things regularly. I really have to go sparingly (if at all) on the delicious beer and bourbon and focus more on grilled chicken, salad, watermelon, rice cakes.
One of the things there that works for me is forming habits so that I reduce the time I spend thinking about what I eat. I eat the same thing for breakfast pretty much every day.

If you really want to drop weight, stop drinking alcohol and eating food made by restaurants. Most people don't want to lose weight that badly.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:27 PM   #2380
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I really have to go sparingly (if at all) on the delicious beer and bourbon
This is the problem...

Although bourbon is works way better than beer.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #2381
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
... rice cakes.
Yet another level of hell.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #2382
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Yet another level of hell.
Alcohol and restaurants mean so much to me that I run every day. Back when my kids were playing soccer, instead of sitting and watching (hi Ty!) I actually ran laps around the fields. Never missed anything.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #2383
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
One of the things there that works for me is forming habits so that I reduce the time I spend thinking about what I eat. I eat the same thing for breakfast pretty much every day.

If you really want to drop weight, stop drinking alcohol

Nonsense. Just eat less when you know you池e going to have more than a few cocktails.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #2384
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Alcohol and restaurants mean so much to me that I run every day. Back when my kids were playing soccer, instead of sitting and watching (hi Ty!) I actually ran laps around the fields. Never missed anything.
Running and/or cardio every day did NOTHING for me until I reduced the calories. For me to burn off the calories from a Culver's butterburger and large custard, I'd have to run from NY to Chicago and back.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #2385
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Running and/or cardio every day did NOTHING for me until I reduced the calories. For me to burn off the calories from a Culver's butterburger and large custard, I'd have to run from NY to Chicago and back.
This. The only time I lost significant weight running was when I was training for marathons and running 40-60 miles per week. It's mostly diet.