LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 409
0 members and 409 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #2506
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Actually, I do. And having finished almost all of that book, I've developed the view that your understanding of privilege is silly and incoherent in comparison to DiAngelo's.
Read it again.

Quote:
It's not a crime to bullshit voters.
It is a crime to obstruct justice. Having actively obstructed the investigation, none of us know what might have been revealed without the obstruction.

Last edited by Adder; 07-29-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Old 07-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #2507
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Enjoy Trump. I’d say 4 more years but if he wins again gonna need to learn Russian.
Interestingly, if you look at where Dems are gaining ground these days, Biden doesn't fit the demographics. Our biggest demographic increases are coming from white well educated suburbanites, Hispanics (who are both voting more and voting more Democratic), women (of all colors), and the young (everywhere). Biden is a strong candidate on paper for the older Democratic coalition - he appeals to older, working class whites and to African American voters. So demographically, Biden is a good choice if the goal is to hold on to our existing support; the problem is we need to increase our vote, not just hold on, to win.

In terms of just playing the trends, Kamala Harris is the obvious candidate. She can hold on to and may even drive turnout on African-American voters (Like Joe but unlike Liz), can appeal to women and young (like Liz but unlike Joe), and seems to do well among the well-educated (like Liz but less like Joe). But generally I think it backfires to overthink this, better to focus on who gets your motor revving as the race moves on.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #2508
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
It is early, and following Buffet's rule, "Thou shalt not predict the future." But... Who else do you see emerging as: (1) a serious contender to Biden; (2) who can actually win a general?
All of the candidates look like relative midgets right now because there are so many of them. Biden is the exception because he was VP. But more Swalwells will drop out, and some of them will pick up real support, and they will look better, both because of that support but also because some of them will have better chops and the winnowing of the field will reveal that.

Honestly, I don't know who that will be. Already, Buttigieg is clearly performing better than one would have expected from his resume, but how much upside does he still have? Klobuchar and Gillibrand had higher expectations because they were Senators and do not seem to be setting the world on fire. I would have expected more from Inslee, Bullock and Hickenlooper, because I think being a governor sets you up better to run.

My main point is that the process is dynamic, and the candidates are going to change. Some of them are going to grow.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #2509
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Actually, I do. And having finished almost all of that book, I've developed the view that your understanding of privilege is silly and incoherent in comparison to DiAngelo's.

Halfway through, at the same time she was changing my mind on some issues, this thought became inescapable: If only this lucid person was delivering this message on TV, online, exclusively, instead of it being mangled by whiffle intellects like Adder. Yes, I actually considered you specifically.
The most privilegey privilege is being able to pick and choose whose explanation of how you are privileged suits you best.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #2510
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Interestingly, if you look at where Dems are gaining ground these days, Biden doesn't fit the demographics. Our biggest demographic increases are coming from white well educated suburbanites, Hispanics (who are both voting more and voting more Democratic), women (of all colors), and the young (everywhere). Biden is a strong candidate on paper for the older Democratic coalition - he appeals to older, working class whites and to African American voters. So demographically, Biden is a good choice if the goal is to hold on to our existing support; the problem is we need to increase our vote, not just hold on, to win.

In terms of just playing the trends, Kamala Harris is the obvious candidate. She can hold on to and may even drive turnout on African-American voters (Like Joe but unlike Liz), can appeal to women and young (like Liz but unlike Joe), and seems to do well among the well-educated (like Liz but less like Joe). But generally I think it backfires to overthink this, better to focus on who gets your motor revving as the race moves on.
ehh, let it sort out. 4 years ago R’s were trying to figure which R candidate could best beat Clinton. They got a candidate no one thought had a chance.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #2511
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
ehh, let it sort out. 4 years ago R’s were trying to figure which R candidate could best beat Clinton. They got a candidate no one thought had a chance.
i'm good with letting it sort out
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #2512
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Heh:

Quote:
TRUMP: If you criticize America you should leave forever

GOP: yeah don’t you dare criticize America!

TRUMP: anyway here’s a list of US cities that are garbage
Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #2513
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
It is a crime to obstruct justice. Having actively obstructed the investigation, none of us know what might have been revealed without the obstruction.
Bullshit. We know there was no changing of votes via hacking. Second, Trump’s obstruction failed because none of his subordinates were dumb enough to follow his orders. It was all attempted obstruction. And finally, all of Trump’s obstructive efforts were aimed at avoiding findings that he shared info with Russians regarding DNC data and voter analytics. Nowhere was it even suggested that Russians successfully changed votes except by manipulation. You have no basis at all to argue that we might’ve found that but for Trump’s ineffective attempts at obstruction.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #2514
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The most privilegey privilege is being able to pick and choose whose explanation of how you are privileged suits you best.
He’s silly. DiAngelo is not. His goofy/treacly repackaging of her points degrades them.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #2515
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
They are right almost. To win one needs to not be Hillary. And while a woman would be my first choice in every plausible scenario, a woman will not beat Trump.
Warren could crush him in a debate. Eat him alive.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #2516
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
We know there was no changing of votes via hacking.
Um, who claimed there was?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #2517
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Um, who claimed there was?
You’ve argued Trump’s obstruction (failed, but never mind that) precluded us from learning how he invalidly acquired his office.

He can only invalidly acquire the office thru hacking or other manipulation of voting machines to change vote counts.

Manipulating voters with lies, or welcoming Russian efforts in that regard, is just politics. (Even If Trump had worked with Russians in that regard, as opposed to merely egging them on and welcoming their assist, his election would still be valid as he received the winning # of votes in the right states. He would be a legitimate President subject to prosecution for working with a foreign govt during campaign.)

You claim Trump obstructed finding something that would prove his election illegitimate. It can’t be welcoming Russian aid. It must therefore be actual changing of votes.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 07-29-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Old 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #2518
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
So did Hil, under normal rules. How is Warren's act with bizarro debate rules?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #2519
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
a legitimate President subject to prosecution for working with a foreign govt during campaign.
How is working with a foreign Gov different than getting Israel support or support from any other country? I'm sure past presidents have encouraged Israel to contact American Jews to campaign?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #2520
Icky Thump

Quote:
And lose in the process.

While she would eviscerate most candidates it wouldn’t be that hard to level Trump though.