LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 392
0 members and 392 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #3991
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Folks in the Rust Belt don’t care what the Admin does as long as they think it might Bring ‘Merica back.
If you could put your explanations of average American voters' motivations in, say, one post daily, and clearly label it as such, it would be easier for the rest of us to ignore. If we wanted that explanation, it's in the New York Times about every other day, and usually accompanied with colorful descriptions of small-town diners, weak coffee and pick-up trucks.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #3992
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If you could put your explanations of average American voters' motivations in, say, one post daily, and clearly label it as such, it would be easier for the rest of us to ignore. If we wanted that explanation, it's in the New York Times about every other day, and usually accompanied with colorful descriptions of small-town diners, weak coffee and pick-up trucks.
But am I wrong?

Check out the projections. It’s early, but... My God. This screwball’s going to possibly win.

Oh, but you’re going to get him via impeachment, right?

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-17-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #3993
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
But am I wrong?

Check out the projections. It’s early, but... My God. This screwball’s going to possibly win.

Oh, but you’re going to get him via impeachment, right?
If he's still on the ballot next year, I don't think he will win the general election.

I think the House is going to impeach him.

At this point I don't know what the Senate will do.

Trump seems to be delaminating. The handling of the Ukraine thing was bad enough, but he has managed to piss off many of his supporters with his handling of Syria this week, and he has looked incompetent doing it. And hosting the G-7 at Mar-a-Lago seems like the sort of thing calculated to piss off moderate suburban voters. So I don't know where we'll be in two months.

And "you're going to get him via impeachment"? I'm not a Congressman. Why do you have to polarize things?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #3994
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
If he's still on the ballot next year, I don't think he will win the general election.

Trump seems to be delaminating. The handling of the Ukraine thing was bad enough, but he has managed to piss off many of his supporters with his handling of Syria this week, and he has looked incompetent doing it. And hosting the G-7 at Mar-a-Lago seems like the sort of thing calculated to piss off moderate suburban voters. So I don't know where we'll be in two months.

And "you're going to get him via impeachment"? I'm not a Congressman. Why do you have to polarize things?
Can you remind me why it was that Sebastian was sure there was no quid pro quo?

I am not sorry.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #3995
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...de-qmb-vpx.cnn
Old 10-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #3996
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Can you remind me why it was that Sebastian was sure there was no quid pro quo?
I don’t believe I said there was no quid pro quo. I said based on the transcript alone it couldn’t be proven adequately enough to make it impossible for more than 1/3 of the Senate to acquit.

If you’re an R senator, given there’s no one to fill a vacuum if Trump were taken out before the election, and the R base will destroy you in the next primary, you’ve no choice but to acquit.

McConnell’s going to have to lie with a straight face at levels that will test even his ethical limits, which are the stretchiest of the stretchy.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-18-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #3997
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I don’t believe I said there was no quid pro quo. I said based on the transcript alone it couldn’t be proven adequately enough to make it impossible for more than 1/3 of the Senate to acquit.

If you’re an R senator, given there’s no one to fill a vacuum if Trump were taken out before the election, and the R base will destroy you in the next primary, you’ve no choice but to acquit.

McConnell’s going to have to lie with a straight face at levels that will test even his ethical limits, which are the stretchiest of the stretchy.
I went back and reviewed the posts last night. You said the transcript had no evidence of a quid pro quo and there will never be any evidence of a quid pro quo because Giuliani knew exactly where the line was and made sure neither he nor Trump crossed it, even as they danced right up to it.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #3998
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

So now we know Sebby is really Nick Mulvaney.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #3999
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
So now we know Sebby is really Nick Mulvaney.
I understand he is just the acting chief of staff and there has been a lot of stuff happening, and we are all a little bit confused by it all . . . but how the fuck did he not get the memo that “no quid pro quo” was a pretty important part of the White House messaging on Ukraine?

I am not sorry.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #4000
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
This is what's new in the last few weeks. Things have moved from, "the Senate will never convict" to "the Senate probably won't convict, but who knows." He's making them look bad and they've gone pretty quiet.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #4001
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I went back and reviewed the posts last night. You said the transcript had no evidence of a quid pro quo and there will never be any evidence of a quid pro quo because Giuliani knew exactly where the line was and made sure neither he nor Trump crossed it, even as they danced right up to it.
The transcript does not have evidence adequate to prove a quid pro quo on its own. I stand by that.

If you are suggesting that I am giving credit to Giuliani, you are mischaracterizing what was written.

ETA: The subtle joke in your first line of that post is pretty solid. Well done.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-18-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #4002
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: But whatever you do, Nick, now listen carefully: don't tell the truth

Quote:
I understand he is just the acting chief of staff and there has been a lot of stuff happening, and we are all a little bit confused by it all . . . but how the fuck did he not get the memo that “no quid pro quo” was a pretty important part of the White House messaging on Ukraine?
It's hard to keep things straight, what with your lawyers telling you what you need to say to stay out of jail, Trump's lawyers telling you what you need to say to keep him out of jail, the political advisors having their say, and then Putin, Erdogan, and Hannity to all answer to. You can't blame them for having trouble keeping their story straight.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #4003
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: But whatever you do, Nick, now listen carefully: don't tell the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
It's hard to keep things straight, what with your lawyers telling you what you need to say to stay out of jail, Trump's lawyers telling you what you need to say to keep him out of jail, the political advisors having their say, and then Putin, Erdogan, and Hannity to all answer to. You can't blame them for having trouble keeping their story straight.
Mulvaney's statement was simply a further flag in the earth that Trump could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue. And, unfortunately, it seems to remain true. Reagan was porcelain compared to Trump"s teflon.

LessinTurkmenabat, Turkmenistan
Old 10-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #4004
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Is that your prediction?
Old 10-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #4005
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
He was performing for Trump, not for anyone else, and he knows that Trump loves it when his people say, "You don't like what we're doing? Suck it."
Closed Thread