LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 126
0 members and 126 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #4966
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Umm, fuck you. I don’t need to “hang around” Jews more. They live in my house.
Then they can explain to you that Jews would say, is it good for the Jews, while goyim would express concern for the well being of the Jews. You're a storyteller. Your ear for dialogue is usually much better than that.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 12-30-2019 at 11:49 PM..
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #4967
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I have no idea what you are saying, but do know you ignore his main point and are still on your own agenda.
If his main point is that Jews are smarter than other people, my point is that the answer is in culture, not genetics, as I was saying on this site a few days ago before we were talking about anti-Semitism. Pay attention to something other than the inside of your own ass.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 12-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #4968
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I’m open to the argument. But I suspect that’s also near impossible to prove. I think the more fair argument is culture impacts genetics in a way that renders genetics an unreliable measurement.

And geography has a lot to do with it as well.
Read Cowen's review of Murray again. If it's near impossible to prove that culture matters more, it's equally near impossible to prove that genetics matters more, but that doesn't stop an awful lot of people (like Murray) from working very hard to justify a prior that it's genetics.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #4969
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I have no idea what you are saying, but do know you ignore his main point and are still on your own agenda.
Stephens’ main point is flawed. He’s taken two highly arbitrary measurements and extrapolated from them that a group possesses unique genius.

You cannot take two data points and make a broad pronouncement about a huge group based upon them.

And as to your 150 years comment, WASPS have had a stranglehold on most of the power in the developed world. By any measure, they were the most dominant group of the last 150 years. Before and alongside them you’d cite the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, which controlled so much of Europe for so long and still has immense power today. Is anyone out there claiming the WASPs and Catholic Church hierarchy of old were uniquely smart? No. Why? Because it was largely a cultural phenomenon.

If Stephens said Ashkenazi culture values intellectual endeavor and this is reflected in its contributions, there’d be nothing controversial. But he has to go for the metrics. And the metrics on genetics are impossible because they always favor a focus on the outliers. And that’s just to start. The holes one can poke in the argument Nobel acquisition is a valid measurement can’t be counted.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 12-30-2019 at 11:54 PM..
Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #4970
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If his main point is that Jews are smarter than other people, my point is that the answer is in culture, not genetics, as I was saying on this site a few days ago before we were talking about anti-Semitism. Pay attention to something other than the inside of your own ass.
The man’s article made your point. I said it made sense.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #4971
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Read Cowen's review of Murray again. If it's near impossible to prove that culture matters more, it's equally near impossible to prove that genetics matters more, but that doesn't stop an awful lot of people (like Murray) from working very hard to justify a prior that it's genetics.
I don’t dispute that at all. I didn’t mean to suggest one could be proved more easily than the other. I don’t think either can be proved, or the impacts of each upon the other can be adequately understood.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #4972
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
His main point is flawed. He’s taken two highly arbitrary measurements and extrapolated from them that a group possesses unique genius.

You can take two data points and make a broad pronouncement about a huge group based upon them.

And as to your 150 years comment, WASPS have had a stranglehold on most of the power in the developed world. By any measure, they were the most dominant group in history for a long time. Before and alongside them you’d cite the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, which controlled so much of Europe for so long and still has immense power today. Is anyone out there claiming the WASPs and Catholic Church hierarchy of old were uniquely smart? No. Why? Because it was largely a cultural phenomenon.

If Stephens said Ashkenazi culture values intellectual endeavor and this is reflected in its contributions, there’d be nothing controversial. But he has to go for the metrics. And the metrics on genetics are impossible because they always favor a focus on the outliers. And that’s just to start. The holes one can poke in the argument Nobel acquisition is a valid measurement can’t be counted.
You all have IQs between 110 and 120, yes? Just trust me. #inthe30s. I’m out.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 12-31-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Old 12-31-2019, 12:00 AM   #4973
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The man’s article made your point. I said it made sense.
You and I agree on a great many things, so I am puzzled by your innate hostility whenever the topic turns to what is good and bad for the Jews. I blame your environment.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:05 AM   #4974
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
You and I agree on a great many things, so I am puzzled by your innate hostility whenever the topic turns to what is good and bad for the Jews. I blame your environment.
No offense, but not sure you have that agency, but if we do have it, I know what I blame about you and I don’t want to.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:07 AM   #4975
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Je suis désolé, mais je ne te comprends pas.

Quote:
No offense, but not sure you gave that agency, but if we do have it, I know what I blame about you and I don’t want to.
In English next time, please.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:11 AM   #4976
Hank Chinaski

Re: Je suis désolé, mais je ne te comprends pas.

Quote:
In English next time, please.
I thought you stopped drinking🙁
Old 12-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #4977
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I do not understand genetics anywhere near as well as many of my clients or my children, but the whole idea of genetics as somehow being immutable - "its in his genes" is a fundamental problem as well. We may be born with some built-in genetic "coding", but that coding won't even guarantee we'll have the same hair color or eye color our whole life.

Likewise, intelligence seems to have a lot to do with how we use the brains we're given, and one thing we know is that the brain changes with use, and can be affected by things like learning a new language (learning a more symbolic language, for example, will light up different parts of the brain and result in different gene signalling). Genes may give you the possibility of having strong symbolic reasoning, but if you don't use them, because you are born into an English speaking family, for example, your genetic signalling shifts because genes apparently don't like to scream into a void (metaphorically).

I'm just saying, the whole "nature/nurture" debate is framed around a really simplistic and kind of weird concept of nature.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 12-31-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Old 12-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #4978
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I do not understand genetics anywhere near as well as many of my clients or my children, but the whole idea of genetics as somehow being immutable - "its in his genes" is a fundamental problem as well. We may be born with some built-in genetic "coding", but that coding won't even guarantee we'll have the same hair color or eye color our whole life.

Likewise, intelligence seems to have a lot to do with how we use the brains we're given, and one thing we know is that the brain changes with use, and can be affected by things like learning a new language (learning a more symbolic language, for example, will light up different parts of the brain and result in different gene signalling). Genes may give you the possibility of having strong symbolic reasoning, but if you don't use them, because you are born into an English speaking family, for example, your genetic signalling shifts because genes apparently don't like to scream into a void (metaphorically).

I'm just saying, the whole "nature/nurture" debate is framed around a really simplistic and kind of weird concept of nature.
By the way, one issue with IQ tests is figuring out what they actually test. There is a big symbolic reasoning section of the test. Surprise! You score better on that if you use a more symbolic and less phonetic form of written language. Is that testing intelligence?

Likewise, a number of items test the speed of certain reactions. If you use a more complex processing approach to a problem - your brain synapses take a longer trip around - you may not react as fast, but you may process more total data about whatever you are looking at along the way. Is speed of processing intelligence?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #4979
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post

Yup. The interactions between nature and nurture are impossibly complex. Attempting to tease out which impact is greater seems an effort to understand in the simplest possible manner (pitting one element versus another) something that is unique in each person.

But in this data-rules-all age of ours, doing so is a highly attractive endeavor. Every anthropologist wants to be the guy who authored the study that gets him a TED talk where can say, "We're all wired for genius, or not, from the start." If nothing else, this provides a nice justification of wealth inequality. It isn't luck... It's predestination! Peter Thiel might invite you over for dinner.

This is why I think it's necessary to take on the "science" offered by those saying it's all nature. The argument must be dismantled with precision at every turn or it'll take hold. In a world where disadvantage mires so many in poverty and society increasingly resembles John Edwards' "two Americas," allowing the notion that the bottom half are all destined to be there leads to some terrifically bad policy possibilities.

Data is increasingly being used to justify sloppy conclusions. It's easy to dress up as infallible and it provides a neat shortcut around what would be much longer and far more rigorous and individualized assessments. Those who traffic in it are like epidemiologists. They have a use, but it's limited.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #4980
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Je suis désolé, mais je ne te comprends pas.

Quote:
I thought you stopped drinking🙁
No offense, but not sure you gave that agency, but if we do have it, I know what I blame about you and I don’t want to.
Closed Thread