LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 161
0 members and 161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #466
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The question is whether a player is in an offside position when the ball is played (passed or shot). So if someone takes a shot and a rebound falls to a player who was in an offside position, she is just as offside as she would have been if the ball had been passed to her. The reason is the same, really.

This is from FIFA's Laws of the Game (Law 11):

What I don't understand, conceptually, is why there is no offsides on a throw-in.
Right - but the reason doesn't make as much sense because there is an intervening influence - the goal or (usually) the goalkeeper.

Also, the rule as written says "involved in active play" and "gains an advantage by being in that position" - take for example a shot from one side, with a player in an offside position on the far side (well beyond the goal keeper). On the shot, that player, while in an offside position is not actively involved in the play. Yet if the shot hit the crossbar and fell to that player s/he would be called offside, but only because of subsequent developments (hitting the crossbar) not because at the time the ball was played the player was offside.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #467
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

What I don't understand, conceptually, is why there is no offsides on a throw-in.
really? because the d would game that. pull your defense way upfield beyond the throw in point, making the throw in hard to impossible.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #468
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Right - but the reason doesn't make as much sense because there is an intervening influence - the goal or (usually) the goalkeeper.

Also, the rule as written says "involved in active play" and "gains an advantage by being in that position" - take for example a shot from one side, with a player in an offside position on the far side (well beyond the goal keeper). On the shot, that player, while in an offside position is not actively involved in the play. Yet if the shot hit the crossbar and fell to that player s/he would be called offside, but only because of subsequent developments (hitting the crossbar) not because at the time the ball was played the player was offside.
how's that different than a pass across the field to a guy who hadn't been involved, but suddenly is?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #469
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Someone needs to do an emoji version of Scalia's dissent. It would probably make more sense.

greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #470
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
how's that different than a pass across the field to a guy who hadn't been involved, but suddenly is?
Because it hit the goalkeeper's hands or rebounded off the cross bar. I take a Palsgraf-type view of things.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #471
BackInTheNewYorkGroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post

Apropos of nothing, I shook Gandalf's hand* at the Pride parade yesterday. Of course, I also flashed my tits in exchange for beads from the float sponsored by State Farm, so I wouldn't say that my alt cred is all that high.

*The hand of Sir Ian McKellan, not that of a random person in a wizard costume.**

**Not an actual costume I saw, but I was on a tamer part of the parade route.
BackInTheNewYorkGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #472
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

If you are loitering behind the defense at the edge of the six-yard box and you receive a pass, you have gained an advantage from being in that position. If you are loitering behind the defense in the same spot and can pounce on a rebound, you have also gained an advantage, not just because the ball came off the keeper or the post, but because you were behind the defense.

Hank, good point re defenses gaming offsides on throw-ins.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #473
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

If you're sitting on the far post offsides, the keeper has to worry about you and play in a different position than if you were not there, opening up the goal for the shooter. You have affected the play without touching the ball. That is why there can be an offsides call even if the offsides player has not touched the ball.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #474
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
If you're sitting on the far post offsides,
Most of the true contributors here have asked for creation of a separate soccer board, but you lot ignore our logic. So we have to put up with these posts. But if we must be exposed can you not recognize that you should explain these foreign concepts?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #475
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
really? because the d would game that. pull your defense way upfield beyond the throw in point, making the throw in hard to impossible.
Couldn't they do the same thing with the ball in the field of play? Defense would still have to worry about a slashing run past the back line of the defense as the throw is made, which is why the strategy doesn't work when employed during the run of play.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #476
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Most of the true contributors here have asked for creation of a separate soccer board, but you lot ignore our logic. So we have to put up with these posts. But if we must be exposed can you not recognize that you should explain these foreign concepts?
I appreciate that Flower responded non-mocking tones. That would not happen on the separate Hank board that many contributors have proposed.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #477
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
We stayed at the Orkos/Mikri Vigla end of Plaka, but I was good with drinking Mythos. The food was really, really good -- not the most interesting cuisine, but terrific ingredients.
I don't know what they do to those tomatoes (and may not want to) but they are good enough to make you want a bowl of tomatoes, cucumber and feta with a little green pepper, oregano, oil and vinegar at every meal.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #478
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Couldn't they do the same thing with the ball in the field of play? Defense would still have to worry about a slashing run past the back line of the defense as the throw is made, which is why the strategy doesn't work when employed during the run of play.
There is no need to worry about offsides on a throw-in because the throw-in rule is so stupid that you very rarely are able to put the ball in a dangerous position. You should be able to throw the ball in any way you want. This two-handed requirement makes no sense.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #479
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
There is no need to worry about offsides on a throw-in because the throw-in rule is so stupid that you very rarely are able to put the ball in a dangerous position. You should be able to throw the ball in any way you want. This two-handed requirement makes no sense.

TM
Or go the other way and make the flip throw a requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLoBNf25X3w

A guy on our high school team would always freak out the other team the first time he did one. Of course, he could throw it just as far without flipping (which was a freaking mile), but it wasn't nearly as cool.