LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 246
0 members and 246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #826
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Oh, Ashley Madison, you faker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
I came across this article today about how many women were actually using the site (hint: not many). The whole debacle is pretty sad.

I have a close family member who is likely headed to divorce over this. I understand her point of view (it's more about the lies and lack of trust than the account itself), but if there was like a 0% chance that him opening the account was actually going to lead to any action, aren't those extenuating circumstances?? Sigh.
One of the email sites where people can check to see if an email was listed on Ashley Madison has been emailing everyone who has been checked. So the non-cheater with a suspicious spouse can have some unanticipated marital discord, too!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #827
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
One of the email sites where people can check to see if an email was listed on Ashley Madison has been emailing everyone who has been checked. So the non-cheater with a suspicious spouse can have some unanticipated marital discord, too!
Funny. I knew it was bullshit when obama@whitehouse.gov came up as having an account.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #828
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I came across this article today about how many women were actually using the site (hint: not many). The whole debacle is pretty sad.
Ashley Madison seems to have been in the business of taking money from men who are intrigued by the idea of a fling, rather than from enabling actual liaisons. Probably a much more lucrative business model.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #829
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

I have a close family member who is likely headed to divorce over this. I understand her point of view (it's more about the lies and lack of trust than the account itself), but if there was like a 0% chance that him opening the account was actually going to lead to any action, aren't those extenuating circumstances?? Sigh.
"Don't worry -- there's no way he could've found someone stupid enough to fuck him."

I'm not sure that's going to help.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #830
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of those women are hookers, who will respond to an inquiry by talking about "arrangements."

Another 20% are just Penske socks.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #831
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
Another 20% are just Penske socks.
Probably, but I bet half of those socks have sexy IM tramp stamps. *sniff*

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #832
Paisley

Quote:

Um, sorry, no. His decision to get an account is a betrayal, regardless of whether or not anyone would want him. In my mind, anyway . . . I'd be pissed.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #833
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Um, sorry, no. His decision to get an account is a betrayal, regardless of whether or not anyone would want him. In my mind, anyway . . . I'd be pissed.
Hmmm, there is a spectrum of "not-cheating-cheating" at this falls somewhere in the middle.

Jimmy Carter admitted to "cheating in his heart," meaning he looked at an attractive woman and thought, "damn!" I don't suppose anyone in a healthy relationship should be too bothered by that sort of thing, unless it happens constantly.

The next step, an overt act in the direction of the object of em's desire, say not bob complimenting a woman's hair, when he really means "that sweater fits you nice!" Or thurgreed going to meet ppnyc. Such flirtations are not harmful to a relationship, perhaps even healthy.

Now you have some sap bombarded by the Ashley Madison commercials* and wondering, "is this really for real, I'll go look. huh? you can't see anything if you don't register?" And the guy signs up, just wanting to see if the hot wife married to the schlub on the corner maybe signed up. Never sets a meeting,** never really communicates- in 2015 is that really so far from Not bob's act all these years?

*And the ads were so good, the husband giving the wife permission to cheat to preserve "their love?" If their IT guys were half as good as the ad people this wouldn't have happened.

** and we now know he couldn't have set a meeting.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #834
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Hmmm, there is a spectrum of "not-cheating-cheating" at this falls somewhere in the middle.

Jimmy Carter admitted to "cheating in his heart," meaning he looked at an attractive woman and thought, "damn!" I don't suppose anyone in a healthy relationship should be too bothered by that sort of thing, unless it happens constantly.

The next step, an overt act in the direction of the object of em's desire, say not bob complimenting a woman's hair, when he really means "that sweater fits you nice!" Or thurgreed going to meet ppnyc. Such flirtations are not harmful to a relationship, perhaps even healthy.

Now you have some sap bombarded by the Ashley Madison commercials* and wondering, "is this really for real, I'll go look. huh? you can't see anything if you don't register?" And the guy signs up, just wanting to see if the hot wife married to the schlub on the corner maybe signed up. Never sets a meeting,** never really communicates- in 2015 is that really so far from Not bob's act all these years?

*And the ads were so good, the husband giving the wife permission to cheat to preserve "their love?" If their IT guys were half as good as the ad people this wouldn't have happened.

** and we now know he couldn't have set a meeting.
Also, if the fellatio was unsolicited and had no strings attached, I think that hardly counts as cheating.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #835
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
I agree with you. She has a right to be pissed. For context, he had an emotional long-distance affair in 2013 and that was the same time he signed up for Ashley Madison. She found out about the emotional affair at the end of 2013 and there was fall-out, but all along he insisted that it was something he accidently fell into (claiming that he met her on Pinterest, which seems more than a little suspicious to me in the first place). Now, years later she finds out about the account he started at the same time.

He says -- hey, I was being crazy back then (literally, he's claiming some sort of mental issue going on).

She says -- this makes me no longer believe your claim that the emotional thing was accidental. You were out there trolling for an affair. And by the way, I can't believe anything you tell me anymore because you have established a record of not being honest.

I asked her if she could consider couples counseling (not in a You Should Do It sort of way, just asking) and she just doesn't think she can trust him to be honest.

Anyway, the whole thing just makes me sad. They have a great combined family together and (he may have me bamboozled but) he seems to treat her really well other than this mess. And it's all the more sad to realize that he (potentially) threw it all away on a scam.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #836
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
And it's all the more sad to realize that he (potentially) threw it all away on a scam.
It could be worse. You could reply to a male hooker on craigslist who (a) turns out to be a woman who (b) merely intends to rob you but (c) then instead kills you:

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/crime/...icle-1.2334575
Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #837
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Also, if the fellatio was unsolicited and had no strings attached, I think that hardly counts as cheating.
"Look, I just saw a hole in the wall. Seemed liked a good place to rest my penis. How was I supposed to know that someone on the other side would put it in her mouth?"
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #838
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
an emotional long-distance affair

People seem to go out of their way to feel betrayed by their partners.

Last edited by Adder; 08-27-2015 at 01:05 PM..
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #839
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
"Look, I just saw a hole in the wall. Seemed liked a good place to rest my penis. How was I supposed to know that someone on the other side would put it in her mouth?"
Reminds me of the episode of Review, in which he reviews gloryholes and then sets out to find the mystery lady from behind the divider in the park bathroom.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #840
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post

People seem to go out of their way to feel betrayed by their partners.
He bought the woman jewelry and she ended up stalking the wife on social media. Ridiculous that this would bother her, right?

ETA: The more I talk about this here, the more of a fool he sounds like to me. So thanks for letting me come here and vent, pseudo-anonymous lawyer-catering chat boards! You've been more than hepful.

Last edited by notcasesensitive; 08-27-2015 at 01:49 PM..
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote