LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 270
0 members and 270 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #1216
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Bitch-slapped.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8396251.html

TM
Old 06-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #1217
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I hear you. It isn稚 much different from real life in terms of filtering what you see.
You are totally and completely wrong here. Years ago, we had a mainstream media. It was expensive to publish newspapers and to run TV stations, and they had strong economies of scale, so you didn't have many choices. People basically got their news from common sources.

Information technology has radically changed this. Anyone can publish anything on-line, in text, images or video, at little to no cost. Printing presses are now like assholes -- everyone has one (and when you have the former, you can be that latter). The revenue models that kept the mainstream media going have fallen apart. Google and Facebook make their money by providing individualized content, and everyone sees something different. There are no more common sources.

IMO, this is one of the biggest drivers of polarization. There is a historical argument (made by Benedict Anderson) that nations formed because of newspapers, which created imagined communities of their readers. Each person now lives in their own imagined community.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #1218
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Bitch-slapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Saw your title and figured you were linking to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/n...y-general.html
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #1219
sebastian_dangerfield

Cuckoo Pants

Full Retard: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.fad149199359
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #1220
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You are totally and completely wrong here. Years ago, we had a mainstream media. It was expensive to publish newspapers and to run TV stations, and they had strong economies of scale, so you didn't have many choices. People basically got their news from common sources.

Information technology has radically changed this. Anyone can publish anything on-line, in text, images or video, at little to no cost. Printing presses are now like assholes -- everyone has one (and when you have the former, you can be that latter). The revenue models that kept the mainstream media going have fallen apart. Google and Facebook make their money by providing individualized content, and everyone sees something different. There are no more common sources.

IMO, this is one of the biggest drivers of polarization. There is a historical argument (made by Benedict Anderson) that nations formed because of newspapers, which created imagined communities of their readers. Each person now lives in their own imagined community.
What you've written is entirely correct. However, I was writing to TM, and more generally to the types of sophisticated media consumers who post here. That social media has created a scenario in which TM has to sift through thousands of different stories rather than five or six networks and newspapers doesn't render him any less able to separate the bullshit from the credible. It simply makes the job a lot more time consuming for him.

But as to the average consumer? You're sadly spot-on. And I agree 100% that customized news feeds (using "news" liberally as most of it tends to be opinion) and social media siloing have tribalized people. This is why I detest Bookface. It is ruining society. It's given boring narcissists a platform from which to spew their dull and exaggerated wares, creating depression, envy, and a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses phenomenon most people cannot afford. It's destroyed the notion of true friendship in favor of slight and tenuous connections (I think I'm closer to actual friends with people here than anyone I've met on social media). It's annihilated privacy to an extent beyond Orwellian. And nodding to Huxley, it's provided a grand ugly diversion for the stupid masses who consume media and news exclusively through it. They sit on it for hours a day, checking likes, emoting at each other, venting in ignorance with little to no understanding of that on which they comment.

Bookface is a cesspool. On news and current events, it's all the people in the room who should never be allowed to speak given bullhorns. On social matters, it's an asshole factory of people screaming, "Look at me! Look at me!"

I don't want to look at you. And I don't care what you have to say. There's 90% probability you're a narrow minded ass with nothing useful to offer.

Which is why I come here to discuss politics and current events. I know I'll hear something in response that's well considered and informed.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-15-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #1221
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Cuckoo Pants

Quote:
Why does that bother you?

ETA: Everything in there strikes me as fair and we absolutely should be doing more to empower women.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #1222
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
What you've written is entirely correct. However, I was writing to TM, and more generally to the types of sophisticated media consumers who post here. That social media has created a scenario in which TM has to sift through thousands of different stories rather than five or six networks and newspapers doesn't render him any less able to separate the bullshit from the credible. It simply makes the job a lot more time consuming for him.

But as to the average consumer? You're sadly spot-on. And I agree 100% that customized news feeds (using "news" liberally as most of it tends to be opinion) and social media siloing have tribalized people. This is why I detest Bookface. It is ruining society. It's given boring narcissists a platform from which to spew their dull and exaggerated wares, creating depression, envy, and a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses phenomenon most people cannot afford. It's destroyed the notion of true friendship in favor of slight and tenuous connections (I think I'm closer to actual friends with people here than anyone I've met on social media). It's annihilated privacy to an extent beyond Orwellian. And nodding to Huxley, it's provided a grand ugly diversion for the stupid masses who consume media and news exclusively through it. They sit on it for hours a day, checking likes, emoting at each other, venting in ignorance with little to no understanding of that on which they comment.

Bookface is a cesspool. On news and current events, it's all the people in the room who should never be allowed to speak given bullhorns. On social matters, it's an asshole factory of people screaming, "Look at me! Look at me!"

I don't want to look at you. And I don't care what you have to say. There's 90% probability you're a narrow minded ass with nothing useful to offer.

Which is why I come here to discuss politics and current events. I know I'll hear something in response that's well considered and informed.
I still love the Twitter.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #1223
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Why does that bother you?

ETA: Everything in there strikes me as fair and we absolutely should be doing more to empower women.
Quote:
So men, if you really are #WithUs and would like us to not hate you for all the millennia of woe you have produced and benefited from, start with this: Lean out so we can actually just stand up without being beaten down. Pledge to vote for feminist women only. Don’t run for office. Don’t be in charge of anything. Step away from the power.
So you pledge to vote for feminist women only? Really?

You're not going to be in charge of anything? Really?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #1224
Not Bob

Quote:
The mute button is a wonderful thing.

And if you continue to follow people like John Carney, you値l hear a smart (but incorrect, in my view) voice on the fiscal and economic aspects of Trumpism.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #1225
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Yes, although like Facebook before it, it keeps trying to make it worse on the false belief that its algorithm can do better than chronological.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #1226
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

I'm going to have a strong preference for feminist women and giving others the chance to be in charge of things.

We're so far from that being literally true or possible that you need not pause over hyperbole.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #1227
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

I would love to not be in charge of anything. Being in charge of things is the main disruptor of my biking and other habits. Um, hobbies.

I am not sorry.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #1228
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I'm going to have a strong preference for feminist women and giving others the chance to be in charge of things.
I was reading a FB thread about "white privilege." This one insipid white guy said, "because of it, I decided not to take a management position and instead became an EMT(or some such). It struck me, even accepting the guaranteed management jobs waiting for all whites, that minorities would be better off if HE HAD taken the management job, then he could cause change. Isn't that true here also?

The other thing that all such pondering (like yours) lacks, is a recognition that there is not standard for what "feminists want." My daughter has some clear ideas, and expectations. I can's always agree, or understand, but at least I can process what she thinks. But then I see FB friends who are feminists and way the fuck out there. They post stuff that states what is "right things" for men that can only make me think I can't imagine dating, i can't imagine a world where they have achieved these things. Often it seems a world a man couldn't be in.

That's why saying "sure, whatever a feminists wants" is actually leading to extending the problems, because the world as envisioned to meet the dreams of all feminists, wouldn't meet the dreams of many feminists. You adder are the problem.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #1229
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I would love to not be in charge of anything. Being in charge of things is the main disruptor of my biking and other habits. Um, hobbies.
Would you sit in the front of room for spin class so the women can check out your ass; i mean assuming you are willing to drop 15 lbs first?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #1230
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I share this love. Twitter is the best way to get breaking stories. You have to sift through some bullshit, but it delivers way faster than any other source. The Green Revolution in Iran was a great example.

I also like Twitter because it compels one to offer a great link, clever joke, or pithy commentary, unlike Facebook, where people emote ad nauseum:

I don't give a fuck about your latest struggle with addiction, Miriam. And I certainly didn't need 10,000 fucking words on it. Stop analyzing yourself up your own ass and maybe you'd meet someone nice and stop having to take all those pills.

Lovely McMansion, Wendell. Love the turrets. And the children's gazebo. Are those weimaraners?

Thank you, Candace... We do need to raise awareness about huffing in the middle school! Billboards. More billboards. Maybe a fun run, too? 5k?

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-15-2018 at 01:00 PM..
Closed Thread