LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 135
0 members and 135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #706
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: The wrong question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I was just in St. Louis. The city wanted to expand the limited light rail it has to connect the city with the suburbs. The amount of anger generated from white people who think that blacks will use it to come into their neighborhoods and steal and create crime is astonishing. Proposition defeated before they could even draw something up.

The white people who are against it don't look at it as something that will improve their city, create a more connected experience, move labor efficiently, be attractive to potential employers, etc. They see it as an infringement on the bubbles they have created to keep people out.

And when I say, "bubbles," I mean that streets which are technically in the city, are private streets owned by the people who own the houses on that street. They shut them down so that only people who live there can be on them. You can't even drive on them to get to the other side. They're everywhere. And the line of demarcation between this:

and this:

is regularly just a street dividing the two.

Spend some time on this site to see just how insane it is there: http://toursbyjoshwhitehead.blogspot...-st-louis.html

TM
I have never been there, but it has been my impression ever since Ferguson that local government in that area is organized top to bottom to screw blacks and preserve white supremacy, like nowhere else I know of.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #707
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Being from Detroit i hadn't thought of SL as having a limited rail system. I took it from the airport downtown every time I was there (several times a few years back) and it seemed feeders went to a lot of places. But you are right there were a lot of places I had to drive, the Hill as an example. Sad, if they had a plan and funding and it was voted down simply for fear of who might be brought in.
It's really weird. They've created a situation in which White Flight has occurred within the city limits. And now they're absolutely terrified whenever they even talk about leaving their protected neighborhoods. Police are there to viciously enforce the divides. And the people forcing those divides aren't even willing to pay for that protection, so the police departments in places like Ferguson get their funding through aggressive ticketing for bullshit crimes (see: DOJ's Ferguson report).

TM
Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #708
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I have never been there, but it has been my impression ever since Ferguson that local government in that area is organized top to bottom to screw blacks and preserve white supremacy, like nowhere else I know of.
This is absolutely correct.

TM
Old 05-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #709
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Rudy Can Fail

Quote:
Bullshit. You asked me a question. I answered it. You wrote something ridiculous.

Everyone thinks, "Gosh, I just want to get ahead." One party is filled with people who think, "The reason why I can't is because of [people who aren't like me]."

TM
go back and reread what I wrote, or forget about it. I said there is an economic aspect, at least they believe there is, baked into their hate. You agree and seemed to question if I was saying there was no hate. I said of course there is hate. But Rave on!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #710
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Rudy Can Fail

Quote:
go back and reread what I wrote, or forget about it. I said there is an economic aspect, at least they believe there is, baked into their hate. You agree and seemed to question if I was saying there was no hate. I said of course there is hate. But Rave on!
Fair enough. I didn't get that from the response.

And since I'm currently raving on multiple different fronts, I'll let this one go.

TM
Old 05-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #711
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
[LIST][*]In terms of gross support, the right is losing. If everyone were forced to vote, Republicans would be murdered. Because they are losing ground, they cheat. They manipulate the voting districts and suppress the vote in ways that Democrats simply do not. (Please don't tell me that there are entrenched Democrats too. We know this. But one side is doing it at rates that simply are not comparable.) Republicans are changing the net numbers to maintain power and they are succeeding wildly.
I wonder how many people who earnestly advocate for voter ID and the like have any clue that "conservatives" in this country have been doing this at least since the Constitutional Convention (3/5ths anyone) and most especially with wild success from not long after the Civil Rights Amendments until years after the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #712
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Being from Detroit i hadn't thought of SL as having a limited rail system. I took it from the airport downtown every time I was there (several times a few years back) and it seemed feeders went to a lot of places. But you are right there were a lot of places I had to drive, the Hill as an example. Sad, if they had a plan and funding and it was voted down simply for fear of who might be brought in.
We all probably know this, but legend has it that the DC Metro does not go to Georgetown for this reason. Locally, a suburban city council numbskull said as much about an extension of our light rail too and certainly some of the riff raff thinks that way, but the main drivers that may prevent that getting done are a bit broader (i.e., trains cost too much and why should the metro area get all that money that I'm not going to admit comes from them anyway).
Old 05-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #713
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
More passenger rail. More passenger rail. More passenger rail.

The track is already there. We should expand the reach of the big cities and link the cities with the country to the extent possible.

And it's environmentally friendly.
The track isn't there. Too many curves for high speed.

Rail is very helpful, but it's a big job.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #714
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

For those of you in NY or with NY roots, any good ideas for places a kid can stay over the summer - we're checking a couple local convents and a couple colleges with dorms, but it looks like my daughter will be in NY this summer for an engineering internship, and we have to find a place for her to stay somewhat last minute.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #715
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I am continually amazed more people aren't shocked by the stories out of Ferguson.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #716
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I was just in St. Louis. The city wanted to expand the limited light rail it has to connect the city with the suburbs. The amount of anger generated from white people who think that blacks will use it to come into their neighborhoods and steal and create crime is astonishing. Proposition defeated before they could even draw something up.

The white people who are against it don't look at it as something that will improve their city, create a more connected experience, move labor efficiently, be attractive to potential employers, etc. They see it as an infringement on the bubbles they have created to keep people out.

And when I say, "bubbles," I mean that streets which are technically in the city, are private streets owned by the people who own the houses on that street. They shut them down so that only people who live there can be on them. You can't even drive on them to get to the other side. They're everywhere. And the line of demarcation between this:

TM
These people aren't rich. That pool has to be covered manually. Fake news.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #717
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
For those of you in NY or with NY roots, any good ideas for places a kid can stay over the summer - we're checking a couple local convents and a couple colleges with dorms, but it looks like my daughter will be in NY this summer for an engineering internship, and we have to find a place for her to stay somewhat last minute.
How old is your daughter? Where is the internship located? How much are you looking to spend?

TM
Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #718
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
We all probably know this, but legend has it that the DC Metro does not go to Georgetown for this reason.
As I have posted here before, that is a myth.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #719
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
How old is your daughter? Where is the internship located? How much are you looking to spend?

TM
She's 21, the headquarters is just south of Times Square but she is going to be dispatched to job sites around the city (likely a lot of bridge work), and I think we're figuring it'll cost about 2K a month give or take, but are open to being told we're wrong.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #720
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

and this:

is regularly just a street dividing the two.

Spend some time on this site to see just how insane it is there: http://toursbyjoshwhitehead.blogspot...-st-louis.html

TM
People are more protective of their property values than almost anything else in their world. Even ridiculously rich people.

If you live in a city, however, part of the price for being close to everything you need, and all the other advantages of living in a city, is being part of the melting pot (in terms of both people around you and commercial and public property mixed very closely with residential).

The St. Louis people sound like they want to live in suburbs within the city.

(Why anyone would want to live anywhere in St. Louis is another story entirely...)