LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 147
0 members and 147 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
The only standard is a political one, and it's within the discretion of the Senate to define it.
I get that- contrast when you/I was evaluated to be a lawyer- our past was compared to some objective standard- of course this senate wouldn't do anything but if we ever get to a functioning government again I would like to see some set panel (non-senators) that reviews non-legal character and gives a thumbs up or down that the senate can follow or ignore. given the political nature this whole issue was never about "did he?" or "does it matter?" it has always been "can we get away with him still?" and "can we win this one by killing him?" Way too important a position for that to be the test.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I get that- contrast when you/I was evaluated to be a lawyer- our past was compared to some objective standard- of course this senate wouldn't do anything but if we ever get to a functioning government again I would like to see some set panel (non-senators) that reviews non-legal character and gives a thumbs up or down that the senate can follow or ignore. given the political nature this whole issue was never about "did he?" or "does it matter?" it has always been "can we get away with him still?" and "can we win this one by killing him?" Way too important a position for that to be the test.
The ABA used to do this, and the GOP stopped giving weight to what it said because it was politically inconvenient.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The ABA used to do this, and the GOP stopped giving weight to what it said because it was politically inconvenient.
No. ABA is a politically biased organization, I meant something with no tie. A stand alone committee. Or even a staffed congressional office.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
No. ABA is a politically biased organization, I meant something with no tie. A stand alone committee. Or even a staffed congressional office.
How would it not have the same or similar bias issues?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
How would it not have the same or similar bias issues?
It can’t with congress as it now is, but aren’t there staffed offices not politically appointed? What is CBO?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
It can’t with congress as it now is, but aren’t there staffed offices not politically appointed? What is CBO?
CBO has been repeatedly attacked as biased by conservative Republicans because what it said got in the way of what they wanted to do. It's naive in the extreme to think that conservatives will agree to be constrained by "neutral" agencies.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
CBO has been repeatedly attacked as biased by conservative Republicans because what it said got in the way of what they wanted to do. It's naive in the extreme to think that conservatives will agree to be constrained by "neutral" agencies.
http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/20...cans-will-too/ same as it ever was-

attacking CBO (as both parties do when in the majority) only shows the strength of the office's findings- the same would be true with my hypo "Character office findings." Would Trump attack the Character Office if it found Kavanaugh unfit? Of course- would it have given cover to a senator or two to vote no, maybe? But mostly it would provide an avenue for an actual finding and a standard for what that finding means- or should mean.

Just because I ran Sidd off doesn't mean this board is dying for someone new to step into the blinkered troll position- fuck I'm almost at the point of going back and rereading if sebby hasn't been right all along.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
ABA is a politically biased organization.
What do you mean?
Closed Thread