LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 379
0 members and 379 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Poll Results: Should we turn back on the search function
Yes 17 68.00%
No 3 12.00%
Not unless you can figure out how to disable the "search posts by" feature. 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

enable search

Apparently it is possible to google the posts on this board. I think there is a way that I can tell Google not to cache the posts, but I'll have to re-research it.

This leads me to ask whether or not the search function should be re-enabled. It was turned off shortly after we moved to this version of the board because there is a default setting that allows users to search every post an individual has made. Two or three people voiced concerns about the possibility of outing given that search function, and I turned it off.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: enable search

I voted yes despite the significant likelihood that the ability to read all of my posts in chronological order will diminish my credibility on the PB and lead to some inaccurate suppositions about my turn-ons, but I am mature enough to realize such problems are non-unique to the availability of searching. For instance, this is a board on which a certain poster had a sig line for over a year extolling the virtue of something apparently called a "beer shit," yet this self-same poster successfully perpetuates the meme that it is I who am obsessed with matters scatological. All of this is to say, collaborative deductive reasoning isn't the board's strong suit anyway.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
I voted yes despite the significant likelihood that the ability to read all of my posts in chronological order will diminish my credibility on the PB and lead to some inaccurate suppositions about my turn-ons, but I am mature enough to realize such problems are non-unique to the availability of searching. For instance, this is a board on which a certain poster had a sig line for over a year extolling the virtue of something apparently called a "beer shit," yet this self-same poster successfully perpetuates the meme that it is I who am obsessed with matters scatological. All of this is to say, collaborative deductive reasoning isn't the board's strong suit anyway.
I don't know. On the one hand, it will make it easier to debunk Hank's "everyone said X" when "Ty said X" meme; on the other hand, if Hank and Slave can't whine about what someone once said on the board, we'd lose a lot of posting, and sometime volume is needed.
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
is a board on which a certain poster had a sig line for over a year extolling the virtue of something apparently called a "beer shit," yet this self-same poster successfully perpetuates the meme that it is I who am obsessed with matters scatological.
no surprise which sock it is that remembers this history.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Apparently it is possible to google the posts on this board. I think there is a way that I can tell Google not to cache the posts, but I'll have to re-research it.

This leads me to ask whether or not the search function should be re-enabled. It was turned off shortly after we moved to this version of the board because there is a default setting that allows users to search every post an individual has made. Two or three people voiced concerns about the possibility of outing given that search function, and I turned it off.
I may some day be a famous author. if searching means there is the ability to search by poster name, I think it best that the ability not be provided.

of course, this will benefit other socks who may be the one that becomes famous.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
I would venture to suggest that "collaborative" anything is not the board's strong suit.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

I would prefer that the function be enabled, all else equal, because I sometimes remember something vaguely that I or someone else posted and would like to be able to go back and try to find it. But all else is not equal, if some people are worried about being outed, and notwithstanding my own preferences I would defer to that concern, if it is still held.

That said, I thought Adder said that he was only able to find old posts with Google, not recent ones, so the premise behind the question may not be right.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?

Quote:

Either way. I don't care.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Secret_Agent_Man
Classified

All in all -- I'd rather not have the feature.

Besides -- this way we can just dismiss the memories of those we disagree with and not be proven wrong.

S_A_M

Voted Second Most Helpful Poster on the Politics Board.
Secret_Agent_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
ltl/fb

I wanted to see where I was mentioned while gone and was disappointed to find it disabled.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
dtb
I am beyond a rank!

I vote enable.
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Do I get a vote? I post so infrequently that I don't really have a skin in the game. If I get a vote, I vote enable.
soup sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

I vote enable, but perhaps there are ways to limit the searches somewhat?

For example, no results more than a year old? Or different lengths for different boards (1 year politics, 90 days FB)?

I have no idea how configurable the search feature is, but while generally I like search I'm not fully sold on the idea that it's a good idea for a search to return all Burger posts (for example).
Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I vote enable, but perhaps there are ways to limit the searches somewhat?

For example, no results more than a year old? Or different lengths for different boards (1 year politics, 90 days FB)?

I have no idea how configurable the search feature is, but while generally I like search I'm not fully sold on the idea that it's a good idea for a search to return all Burger posts (for example).
Because someone out there might have time to read through all 15,000 of them? God help the person with that time and inclination.

I'm an enabler. Or, uh, a fan of enabling. Or whatever.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

I have traditionally been against it, but given that this is a less high profile environment than infirmation used to be, I am ambivalent.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote