LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 435
0 members and 435 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #1531
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
No one else was talking about obligation. That was your word. Those scare quotes are around something that you said.
You skipped a link. Logically, and mathematically, it is impossible for me to have robbed Hillary of a vote unless I was obligated to give her mine. That's not me creating an obligation. That's just a fact.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #1532
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You skipped a link. Logically, and mathematically, it is impossible for me to have robbed Hillary of a vote unless I was obligated to give her mine. That's not me creating an obligation. That's just a fact.
No, it's a stupid semantic argument. Whether or not you had an "obligation," whatever you mean by that, you made a choice about how to vote and you didn't vote for her. No one was talking about obligations and duties; they have been talking about the choice you made, and how it looks more and more misguided every day.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #1533
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
No, it's a stupid semantic argument. Whether or not you had an "obligation," whatever you mean by that, you made a choice about how to vote and you didn't vote for her. No one was talking about obligations and duties; they have been talking about the choice you made, and how it looks more and more misguided every day.
y'know, people hating on him for the 3rd party vote are implying we have some right to control his vote, or at least to expect him to use it a certain way. That could be read as we are setting an obligation.

The better approach is to remind him of the assumptions he stated when telling us what his vote was going to be.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #1534
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
y'know, people hating on him for the 3rd party vote are implying we have some right to control his vote, or at least to expect him to use it a certain way. That could be read as we are setting an obligation.

The better approach is to remind him of the assumptions he stated when telling us what his vote was going to be.
I will admit that the topic is a little tired, but then so is the Trump presidency, and yet we are still stuck with that.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #1535
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Meanwhile, in the politics of grievance, apparently the Statute of Liberty is an implicit attack on the Trump Administration. My first reaction is that if they're doing it that way, they're losing. My second reaction is that losing is pretty integral to the politics of grievance, and that even when they're on top they need to be losing.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #1536
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Thank you for doing this, Hank. I think it's important to remind him of those assumptions, including the assumption that Hillary was some kind of uncontrollable hawk and Trump would be less interventionist and bellicose.

But does this really need to be an either/or? Can't we do both?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #1537
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the politics of grievance, apparently the Statute of Liberty is an implicit attack on the Trump Administration. My first reaction is that if they're doing it that way, they're losing. My second reaction is that losing is pretty integral to the politics of grievance, and that even when they're on top they need to be losing.
Yeah, statute of liberty, Constitution, Bible... mention of any of them is an attack (not even implicit) on the Trump Administration.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #1538
Not Bob

Quote:
I said that he had an obligation to vote for Hillary based upon the information that was available to him at the time. Hank and I - especially Hank - warned him that PA could go for Trump, and *unless* he wanted Trump to be president, he had an obligation (ETA - Hank didn't say this. I'm not sure if I used the word, but it was what I felt) to vote for Hillary. In PA, a vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein (or Gus Hall and Angela Davis) WAS A VOTE FOR TRUMP.

If he wanted to note his protest at the choices available for the major party nominees, I offered to vote for Gary or Jill in my deep red State of Podunk. He declined.

Again, this was based upon information available at the time. The fact that more stuff has come out since November is irrelevant. Sebby knew or should have known that he was casting his vote for a thin-skinned lying racist bully would could give two shits about the people of PA or WV. And that he held few or no ideological principles and would allow Ryan and McConnell a free hand on social policy.

I stand by my use of the word "obligation." Sebby knew (1) that PA was close and so a vote for anyone other than Hillary was a vote for Trump, and (2) that Trump is reprehensible. He knew that sometimes we don't like the choices* we are given, and he chose to punt so that he could disclaim responsibility for whoever won.

*I concede that many view Hillary as reprehensible. But if you really felt that, you still had a choice of two evils. If you think she is worse, then vote for Trump.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #1539
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I said that he had an obligation to vote for Hillary based upon the information that was available to him at the time. Hank and I - especially Hank - warned him that PA could go for Trump, and *unless* he wanted Trump to be president, he had an obligation (ETA - Hank didn't say this. I'm not sure if I used the word, but it was what I felt) to vote for Hillary. In PA, a vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein (or Gus Hall and Angela Davis) WAS A VOTE FOR TRUMP.

If he wanted to note his protest at the choices available for the major party nominees, I offered to vote for Gary or Jill in my deep red State of Podunk. He declined.

Again, this was based upon information available at the time. The fact that more stuff has come out since November is irrelevant. Sebby knew or should have known that he was casting his vote for a thin-skinned lying racist bully would could give two shits about the people of PA or WV. And that he held few or no ideological principles and would allow Ryan and McConnell a free hand on social policy.

I stand by my use of the word "obligation." Sebby knew (1) that PA was close and so a vote for anyone other than Hillary was a vote for Trump, and (2) that Trump is reprehensible. He knew that sometimes we don't like the choices* we are given, and he chose to punt so that he could disclaim responsibility for whoever won.

*I concede that many view Hillary as reprehensible. But if you really felt that, you still had a choice of two evils. If you think she is worse, then vote for Trump.
You make a great case against yourself, but in your defense: ncs posted about Sebby voted without talking about obligations or duties; Sebby asked whether he had an "obligation"; and then you used the word because he had. He went there first, and you followed him.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #1540
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: A shred of human decency would be enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post

But let's face it, the "obligation" only applies if there is an assumption that he is a reasonable human being who does not wish ill for either himself or his neighbors. That is, that he have some modicum of either self-interest or empathy (not necessarily even both).
Old 08-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #1541
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I don't think we'd be seen positively by most of NK. I'm just guessing it might be better than Iraq.
If we destroy NK's shitty infrastructure or remove their dear leader without immediately going in and setting up a government and staying there until you and I are sabotaging each other's rocking chairs, millions of North Koreans will die. It may be better for us in that we won't have angered a world full of Muslims, but dozens of millions of North Koreans will starve to death.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 08-10-2017 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1542
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But the facepalm is because we were talking about what a coal miner in WV assumed prior to election. Those poor bastards either believed Trump, or assumed that any faint glimmer of hope was better than no hope at all.
You assumed it. You. Are you a coal miner in WV?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #1543
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
If we destroy NK's shitty infrastructure or remove their dear leader without immediately going in and setting up a government and staying there until you and I are sabotaging each other's rocking chairs, millions of North Koreans will die. It may be better for us in that we won't have angered a world full of Muslims, but dozens of millions of North Koreans will starve to death.

TM
I could not agree more. Because if there's one certain thing we will not be doing, it is engaging in post-conflict infrastructure and govt building.

I mean, we'll let US contractors run around the country and put big box soup kitchens, barracks, and a few shitty hospitals, with change orders causing a 5000% increase in construction price. And we'll hire armies of private armies for security. But actual infrastructure rebuild? And actual working govt? Not a fucking chance.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-10-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #1544
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You assumed it. You. Are you a coal miner in WV?
I did not assume that. At all. From day one I laughed at Trump's immigration plan because it absurdly targeted immigrants while automation was the actually driver of domestic job loss.

Recall all those bitter arguments about buggie whips and Luddites?

I've a pretty think skin, but asserting that I trusted Trump at his word? Them's fighting words.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #1545
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I did not assume that. At all. From day one I laughed at Trump's immigration plan because it absurdly targeted immigrants while automation was the actually driver of domestic job loss.

Recall all those bitter arguments about buggie whips and Luddites?

I've a pretty think skin, but asserting that I trusted Trump at his word? Them's fighting words.
You told us that some things would be better under Trump, specifically saying that a little protectionism would be good (and help defend against the automation boogie man).
Closed Thread