LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 110
0 members and 110 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:07 AM   #1021
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
True. You will see loads of states start challenging freedoms and rights by distinguishing between liberties and “ordered liberties.” And having read the difference between the two offered in the opinion, I think I can define them:

Ordered liberties are those Alito likes, while mere liberties are those he doesn’t.

His distinction between the two is so facile, so invented of whole cloth (and hidden between cherry picked out of context musings on the subject by Ginsburg, smugly offered) that definition is accurate. He took those categories, blurred the meaning, and simply lumped what he didn’t like into the mere liberties bucket.
Idaho is setting up a case challenging Griswold.

If you read Alito's previous writing, it's pretty clear how challenges to things like gay marriage will go. From his dissent in Obergefell, you'll find some words that are almost verbatim from the Dodd draft: "To prevent five unelected Justices from imposing their personal vision of liberty upon the American people, the Court has held that “liberty” under the Due Process Clause should be understood to protect only those rights that are “‘deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition.’” Washington v. Glucksberg, 521 U. S. 701, 720–721 (1997). And it is beyond dispute that the right to same-sex marriage is not among those rights. See United States v.
Windsor, 570 U. S. ___, ___ (2013) (ALITO, J., dissenting)
(slip op., at 7)." He's kind of already written the opinion overruling Obergefell and Windsor.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #1022
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Idaho is setting up a case challenging Griswold.

If you read Alito's previous writing, it's pretty clear how challenges to things like gay marriage will go. From his dissent in Obergefell, you'll find some words that are almost verbatim from the Dodd draft: "To prevent five unelected Justices from imposing their personal vision of liberty upon the American people, the Court has held that “liberty” under the Due Process Clause should be understood to protect only those rights that are “‘deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition.’” Washington v. Glucksberg, 521 U. S. 701, 720–721 (1997). And it is beyond dispute that the right to same-sex marriage is not among those rights. See United States v.
Windsor, 570 U. S. ___, ___ (2013) (ALITO, J., dissenting)
(slip op., at 7)." He's kind of already written the opinion overruling Obergefell and Windsor.
One thing I could never get an answer to; what was prohibited in Griswold? Condems? The pill? I just read contraceptives.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 05-07-2022 at 01:55 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #1023
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
One thing I could never get an answer to; what was prohibited in Griswold? Condems? The pill? I just read contraceptives.
Connecticut's law banned the use of any drug, medical device, or other instrument in furthering contraception.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:10 AM   #1024
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Connecticut's law banned the use of any drug, medical device, or other instrument in furthering contraception.
Thanks! In patents sometimes we read words “broadly as is reasonable.” A patent examiner would read that as covering condoms. Were they prohibited?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 05-08-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #1025
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Thanks! In patents sometimes we read words “broadly as is reasonable.” A patent examiner would read that as covering condems. We’re they prohibited?
I will assume that question is rhetorical. Or, you can do your own research on the intent of 1879 Connecticut legislators.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #1026
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I will assume that question is rhetorical. Or, you can do your own research on the intent of 1879 Connecticut legislators.
Thank you!
Old 05-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #1027
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Thank you!
And it is "condoms."
Old 05-08-2022, 11:19 PM   #1028
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
And it is "condoms."
I have no need to know the spelling (ps I’d already corrected the spelling).
Old 05-09-2022, 07:37 AM   #1029
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I believe it was one of the 19th Century Comstock laws. At the time they heavily targeted condoms; the pill and other medical forms of birth control weren't yet available. The act was likely amended over the years to add new forms of birth control.

The Comstock laws were part of a broad "social hygiene" push in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century that included prohibition and other legislation focused on "morals". They were heavily pushed by preachers and doctors. Interestingly, the first big push back on them came from the military, which included condoms in soldier's kits during WWI to avoid having a large influx of Franco-American babies after the war.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 05-09-2022 at 07:48 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #1030
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I believe it was one of the 19th Century Comstock laws. At the time they heavily targeted condoms; the pill and other medical forms of birth control weren't yet available. The act was likely amended over the years to add new forms of birth control.

The Comstock laws were part of a broad "social hygiene" push in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century that included prohibition and other legislation focused on "morals". They were heavily pushed by preachers and doctors. Interestingly, the first big push back on them came from the military, which included condoms in soldier's kits during WWI to avoid having a large influx of Franco-American babies after the war.
I listened to a very funny podcast about something else in which Nick Gillespie (editor of Reason) made fun of Comstock for a good twenty minutes. Obviously, if you want to hear someone shred Comstock, and who'd be familiar with his ignominious place in history, Gillespie is the sort who'd do so with relish. I wish I could find it.

The commentary made short, Comstock was considered such a buffoon that his name became an insult. It became a synonym for provincial, parochial, unenlightened, priggish, and illiterate. Comstock's tenure as Postmaster General was considered by almost everyone in politics at the time and thereafter as a first order embarrassment.

Few national figures are considered less qualified, more inept, or as deranged. Even Spiro Agnew was considered more intelligent.

That now, a century later, Comstock's moralizing and busybody officiousness has raised its head again is mind blowing. It's not at all hyperbole to call the man a troglodyte (though probably unfair to troglodytes). He believed himself entitled not to judge, but to directly, and I mean very directly, physically police every bedroom.

It's incredibly sad, but also shocking, to think we've a massive rotten cultural cesspool in this country, of inbred degenerates (yes, they are) who insist they have the right to tell others who they can and cannot fuck. It's like mold or worms, under a rock for a century. All this time, we'd assumed they'd been drug along, that the wake of progress and the demonstration of the benefits of tolerance positively impacted them at least incrementally over the years. But no. They're still the temperance league of old. Dumb as dirt, with decades of precluded scolding to unleash on we heathens and libertines.

They'd do well to consider what happened the last time a debased culture tried to "rise up" against the Yankees. The Comstocks may run amuck in the Bible Belt. But we folks in the purple country won't be having any of their kind. Any Comstocks peddling their tripe in the Northeast Coast cities will quickly find themselves picking their teeth up off the floor.

I don't see any good in picketing Churches. The Catholics, most of whom don't follow the Church on matters reproductive, aren't the villains here. And they shouldn't be made enemies. But I do advocate something far more violent to be done to any "moral police" trying to push Comstock-like policies in our backyards. I think, and I say this without hesitation, a man who seeks to inject himself into someone else's bedroom via legislation should be treated like a man literally seeking to enter one's bedroom without consent. Beat the living shit out of the son of a bitch. I say this with deadly seriousness. These people have no place in enlightened locales.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-09-2022 at 10:28 AM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #1031
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I listened to a very funny podcast about something else in which Nick Gillespie (editor of Reason) made fun of Comstock for a good twenty minutes. Obviously, if you want to hear someone shred Comstock, and who'd be familiar with his ignominious place in history, Gillespie is the sort who'd do so with relish. I wish I could find it.

The commentary made short, Comstock was considered such a buffoon that his name became an insult. It became a synonym for provincial, parochial, unenlightened, priggish, and illiterate. Comstock's tenure as Postmaster General was considered by almost everyone in politics at the time and thereafter as a first order embarrassment.

Few national figures are considered less qualified, more inept, or as deranged. Even Spiro Agnew was considered more intelligent.

That now, a century later, Comstock's moralizing and busybody officiousness has raised its head again is mind blowing. It's not at all hyperbole to call the man a troglodyte (though probably unfair to troglodytes). He believed himself entitled not to judge, but to directly, and I mean very directly, physically police every bedroom.

It's incredibly sad, but also shocking, to think we've a massive rotten cultural cesspool in this country, of inbred degenerates (yes, they are) who insist they have the right to tell others who they can and cannot fuck. It's like mold or worms, under a rock for a century. All this time, we'd assumed they'd been drug along, that the wake of progress and the demonstration of the benefits of tolerance positively impacted them at least incrementally over the years. But no. They're still the temperance league of old. Dumb as dirt, with decades of precluded scolding to unleash on we heathens and libertines.

They'd do well to consider what happened the last time a debased culture tried to "rise up" against the Yankees. The Comstocks may run amuck in the Bible Belt. But we folks in the purple country won't be having any of their kind. Any Comstocks peddling their tripe in the Northeast Coast cities will quickly find themselves picking their teeth up off the floor.

I don't see any good in picketing Churches. The Catholics, most of whom don't follow the Church on matters reproductive, aren't the villains here. And they shouldn't be made enemies. But I do advocate something far more violent to be done to any "moral police" trying to push Comstock like policies in our backyards. I think, and I say this without hesitation, a man who seeks to inject himself into someone else's bedroom via legislation should be treated like a man literally seeking to enter one's bedroom with consent. Beat the living shit out of the son of a bitch. I say this with deadly seriousness. These people have no place in enlightened locales.
Comstock is, however, a hero in certain circles on the right. It began with places like Hillsdale College and the Claremont Institution. But you'll find the folks in charge at the Federalist Society are part of the rehabilitation project, and that the circles that now control the court and Congress are all Comstock fans. It's part of the American History being busily rewritten.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #1032
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Comstock is, however, a hero in certain circles on the right. It began with places like Hillsdale College and the Claremont Institution. But you'll find the folks in charge at the Federalist Society are part of the rehabilitation project, and that the circles that now control the court and Congress are all Comstock fans. It's part of the American History being busily rewritten.
Nixon could be rehabbed because, while a criminal, certain of his non-criminal policies (opening up relations with China) were smart. Clinton is seen as a sleazy guy due to proximity to Epstein, but he was a fantastic President. Even fucking Trump had some good policies (expending standard deduction helped lower middle class).

WTF could be rehabbed about Comstock? He was objectively a properly diagnosed imbecile whose policies were hated by almost everyone. The man burned books and opposed suffrage. Opposed. Suffrage.

This was the book Gillespie was talking about in the podcast I referenced earlier: https://www.thefire.org/the-mind-of-...hony-comstock/

It is disturbing to think anyone would even attempt to rehab this miscreant.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #1033
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Nixon could be rehabbed because, while a criminal, certain of his non-criminal policies (opening up relations with China) were smart. Clinton is seen as a sleazy guy due to proximity to Epstein, but he was a fantastic President. Even fucking Trump had some good policies (expending standard deduction helped lower middle class).

WTF could be rehabbed about Comstock? He was objectively a properly diagnosed imbecile whose policies were hated by almost everyone. The man burned books and opposed suffrage. Opposed. Suffrage.

This was the book Gillespie was talking about in the podcast I referenced earlier: https://www.thefire.org/the-mind-of-...hony-comstock/

It is disturbing to think anyone would even attempt to rehab this miscreant.
[momentarily channeling Hillsdale College "historians"]

Comstock opposed the Progressives, who were eugenicists who inspired Hitler and sought to use birth control to limit the births of blacks, Catholics and other disfavored people, ultimately giving rise to the deeply evil folks like Margaret Sanger. He was part of a moral movement that maintained our Judeo-Christian history as being at the core of our society.

[/thankfully stop channeling Hillsdale]

You will find cites and discussion in the Alito draft opinion that reflect this concept of American history. Thomas is 100% on board with it and has inserted Hillsdale concepts into several of his opinions and dissents.

Way back when I was in college, my senior history thesis was on attitudes toward birth control and prostitution in the American Social Hygiene Society, one of the organizations that was bound up in all this stuff. I try to keep up on it, but it has become increasingly relevant over the last few years.

That podcast you pointed out talks about describes him as largely forgotten, but you may want to see what they are teaching at Liberty University and what they are trying to legitimize in the Fed Soc. He really is one of the "intellectual" rights' biggest heros. Leonard Leo probably gets off thinking about him. The podcast does have some interesting stuff about Comstock prosecuting and convicting Margaret Sanger's husband - I wasn't familiar with that, but, remember, Margaret Sanger is the greatest Boogey-Woman these people have, they loathe her very very deeply, and that alone would make him a hero to them. I think you'll also find him taught about in a lot of gender studies/history of women classes and in classes on the history of medicine. But those classes will be more the view of him you'd expect, as a clown and know-nothing. You'll find demonizing people like Comstock is part of what the attack on CRT is about - editing out the part of history classes that look at MLK or Margaret Sanger as forces for good.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 05-09-2022 at 11:47 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #1034
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: I hate to go back to the Covid world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
but while I have always been for mitigation, this poor white boy living in Shanghai ain't exactly livin the dream.

I guess that's why if I want a new MacBook Pro, I have to wait until July.
Speaking of supply chain:

Friend of mine is a sales guy at the local Mini dealership. He stopped by a few days ago to see the baby, and caught me up on the goings on of auto sales. He's never made more money in his life, and he's never been more bored at his job. Most of the time everyone on the floor is just messing with their phones. There is NO inventory. None. Zero. Zilch. If you want a Mini, you have to custom order it and it takes four months to get here. He says his place doesn't go too far above MSRDP, but he knows some dealerships will (of all makes) will slap on a $5000 "dealer's fee" just because they can.
We're lucky, because we're 20 miles from the Port of Houston and the cars get here relatively fast. On the west coast it's six months to get through the Panama Canal and to LA.

Preowned cars are few and far between, mostly big trucks and SUVs because people don't want to pay to gas them up anymore. Their pricing is WELL above blue book, and if it's newer very close to MSRDP.

In addition, there's a specific part in the electrical system that's made for Mini, Audi, VW and BMW. The factory is Ukraine. All of the men who work there have left to fight the Russians, so most of the women in town have taken over. They have to be able to vacate and get to the busses in 15 minutes when the sirens go off. They have to shut the entire place down at night to prevent any lights from being visible to make them a target. He guesses there's some sort of plan to get another facility up and running, but for now, if that factory gets hit, it'll be a long time before any of those cars will be coming off the line.

He says the current estimate is about 2 years before the car market stabilizes again, and unless you absolutely need to get a new car, hold off. He's doing ridiculously well financially, but bored off his rocker.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #1035
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

Thanks. BTW once Less told me what to look for I found something that said Mass had a parallel law.