LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 311
0 members and 311 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3811
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Just yesterday I was advising someone that WhatsApp is NOT an appropriate platform for work discussions. We have a secure messaging application for that with the proper measures in place that we can control.
If the House Democrats haven't sent a subpoena to WhatsApp by the end of the day, someone is committing malpractice.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #3812
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If the House Democrats haven't sent a subpoena to WhatsApp by the end of the day, someone is committing malpractice.
I really hope they do to drive my point home with some of my clients.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #3813
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Again, why be out there answering questions about some dumbass conspiracy theory, thus giving it energy?
He should be out there attacking Trump for spending taxpayer dollars to get Ukrainian propaganda for his re-election campaign. If Biden can't make hay with these facts, that is political malpractice.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #3814
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
But he's already leading in every poll, which makes him the presumptive nominee.
FWIW:

Quote:
New Quinnipiac NATIONAL poll (counts for the November debate)
Warren 29%
Biden 26%
Sanders 16%
Buttigieg 4%
Harris 3%
Yang 3%
Everyone else at or below 2 percent
https://t.co/2skJmUGBSD
Old 10-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #3815
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
He should be out there attacking Trump for spending taxpayer dollars to get Ukrainian propaganda for his re-election campaign. If Biden can't make hay with these facts, that is political malpractice.
Jesus.

This story is dragging Trump down already. And it's because Biden hasn't been out there trying to hammer away. The more he's out there, the more questions he gets about the bullshit underlying Trump's lunacy. And I don't know if you met the American people, but the more questions he gets, the more the conspiracy becomes true. Leave it alone.

TM
Old 10-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #3816
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You are waaaaaay too deep in the weeds. No one is paying attention to Biden's response except the hardestcore of hardcore political junkies and people who want to believe Biden did something wrong. If I were advising Biden, while I wouldn't be asking the media not to book Giuliani, I would tell him to sit back and let Trump blow everything up without giving the underlying bullshit any air from Biden. No need to be out there having clips of him denying this garbage played again and again. Let Trump continue to talk himself into a deeper hole.

And to be fair--although I still think he has the best chance of beating Trump by the biggest margin--on a personal level, I'm not even that sure about Biden's abilities to do the job anymore. He keeps showing signs that he's too old for this shit.

TM
2. Trump is forgetting how to use the Big Lie. He doesn’t need inside info to create suspicion Biden is corrupt. Hunter’s a train wreck. There are loads of “bad facts” with which to paint Joe and his kid as corrupt, regardless of truth.

The master of Fake News doesn’t even know how to use Fake News. Fool thought he needed real dirt. Now all he’s done is caused voters who might think Biden actedly corruptly in Ukraine to think, “so did Trump.”

Biden should ignore Trump all day, every day.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-08-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #3817
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Sorry. In almost every fucking poll (and crushing everyone in some). But thanks, Less.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ination_polls/

TM
Old 10-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #3818
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I think there are shy Biden voters like there were shy Trump voters.

Nobody is excited by him. Nobody is eager to express support for a lesser senile candidate.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #3819
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I really hope they do to drive my point home with some of my clients.
Give them a copy of Snowden’s new book.

“Speech. You Can Always Deny It or Say a Characterization is Taking Words Out of Context.” That should be an ad for old school phone call service.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #3820
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I'm more defensive of arbitration I think because I see it in the international business context, where it gives us a good alternative to the wide range of national systems.

Maybe if we had a form of arbitration to use for consumers that was perceived of as less biased? Why can't courts sponsor arbitration alternatives that are less expensive but still public forums for consumers?
Some courts do have compulsory arbitration and even mediation. Arbs are usually done by boards of ex judges or lawyers.

I think mediation should be compelled in every case, early. Force the parties to examine strengths and weaknesses in detail immediately. Try to kill all cases before the costly discovery and motion practice.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #3821
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Sorry. In almost every fucking poll (and crushing everyone in some). But thanks, Less.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ination_polls/

TM
The national polls on that page from the last week are

Warren +3
Biden +12
Warren +1
Warren +3
Warren +6
Biden +11

(eta: Average those numbers, and Biden's still ahead.)

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 10-08-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #3822
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
The national polls on that page from the last week are

Warren +3
Biden +12
Warren +1
Warren +3
Warren +6
Biden +11
You really are exhausting.

I can list the swing state polls. I can talk about the fact that he's *crushing* her in some of the national polls and the ones she's leading in are probably within the margin of error. But why?

If Warren is the best candidate to win by the biggest margin possible, great! I think she has a shot at winning the primary. But whether she does or not, Biden has the best chance of beating Trump by the largest margin in the general. And I say that even though I think he's a doddering old man at this point.

I don't really care about this argument anymore. We disagree on strategy as it relates to the Ukraine scandal. There's nothing more to debate. Jesus.

TM
Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #3823
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But he's already leading in every poll, which makes him the presumptive nominee.
Edited: Whoops. STP. Nothing to see here.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #3824
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I don't really care about this argument anymore.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm having a conversation with someone I mostly agree with, and sharing information that seems germane to the conversation. I'm sorry if I gave a different impression.

FWIW, I don't think Biden is crushing her, but I'm also not paying very close attention because I think things are fluid in the medium term. YMMV.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #3825
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Some courts do have compulsory arbitration and even mediation. Arbs are usually done by boards of ex judges or lawyers.

I think mediation should be compelled in every case, early. Force the parties to examine strengths and weaknesses in detail immediately. Try to kill all cases before the costly discovery and motion practice.
I'm defending a case that maybe has $4M in provable damages, and the Plaintiff's Biglaw firm has billed $1.3M. The defendants are moving to dismiss the billionth amended complaint. The plaintiff is an LLC that is owned by a Fortune 500 company.

I mean, once you pass the $200k mark and you're still in the pleadings stage, you might want to re-evaluate your counsel.