LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 389
0 members and 389 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #2386
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

This, from someone on Twitter:

The media making Weinstein a Clinton scandal is pretty definitive proof that if it wasn’t the emails, it would have been something else.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #2387
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: What are we doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
I played field hockey and I am good at curling and shuffleboard, so basically kids like me -- it helps to be Canadian and born with a stick in your hand and a curling rock in the other. Those sports just seemed to come much more naturally than soccer to me, mostly because kids just played pickup hockey (street hockey, pond hockey, etc ) every day pretty much, and I curled from when I was about 5, so it just came more naturally than soccer, basketball, etc.

That's not much help to you if she's not already doing some kind of variation of the sport already so you can see if she has affinity for it.

I will say that curling is a good sport if you enjoy stuff like chess and planning and strategy. It's like Game of Thrones on ice -- all kinds of plotting and battles. Less blood usually.

And field hockey is very aggressive, lots of sly shin whacking. It helps to be devious.
We made our adopted daughter, Cinderella, sweep up the house every day since she was young. Maybe she can be one of those curling broomers?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-12-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #2388
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
What sort of kids do well with field hockey? Not sure that soccer is the right sport for my daughter.

eta: Or curling?
My daughters are still pretty young (4th and 2nd Grade), so it's hard for me to say. My oldest stopped playing soccer after 3rd grade (lost interest), but has played field hockey since 1st grade and still loves it. My youngest, who is the more athletically gifted of the two, plays both soccer and field hockey and loves both. The neighbor kid (2nd grade), who is not particularly athletic, hated soccer but loves field hockey.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #2389
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

The media making Weinstein a Clinton scandal is pretty definitive proof that if it wasn’t the emails, it would have been something else.
Wouldn't have stuck. HRC already had a Weinstein Contingency.

For once, Trump played this well. Instead of pretending he wasn't at a party where he and HRC and Bubba, among many others, observed Harvey getting "handsy" with an actress, he fessed up: "Knew Harvey. Not shocking. Not at all."

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-13-2017 at 12:20 AM..
Old 10-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I've always sucked at tennis. But, yeah. We used to have a ping pong table at my last firm and we'd sneak and play every once in awhile. We asked a summer once if he wanted to join the "club." I played him and he was very competitive, but just not good enough (being the best in your family doesn't mean a damn thing, homie). So he would try shit like trying to serve before I got back to the table after I was retrieving a ball. Shit like that. Had to get smoked.*

TM

*And, yes, I realize a punishing ping pong game is probably the least impressive thing in the world. But I just let me have it. ;-)
I was in Mexico at a resort a few years ago - the resort had an outdoor table that was being dominated by a 12-13 year British lad. He was actually pretty good, but he was getting a little too cocky with the other kids he was beating. I asked if I could have next game - took it easy on him at first. His dad was watching and actually seemed to appreciate someone teaching his son some humility. Especially because I was playing with a G&T in hand.

ETA: I am a great drunk bowler, but a horrible drunk ping pong player.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #2391
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

This is a pretty stupid take.

It seems to me the media is going out of its way to avoid making this a Clinton scandal. You don't hear anyone mentioning Bill in the same sentence as Weinstein, Trump and O'Reilley.

Hillary has a pretty fine line she has to walk, if she goes all out and says all of these women should be believed, people can trot out everything she did to destroy Bill's accusers. Because of her past, and that of her husband, she can't really offer a strong rebuke without seeming like a hypocrite.

I will say that based on the fact that they allowed their daughter to intern there, I am pretty sure the Obamas didn't know anything about Weinstein's reputation.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #2392
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post

It seems to me the media is going out of its way to avoid making this a Clinton scandal. You don't hear anyone mentioning Bill in the same sentence as Weinstein, Trump and O'Reilley.

Hillary has a pretty fine line she has to walk, if she goes all out and says all of these women should be believed, people can trot out everything she did to destroy Bill's accusers. Because of her past, and that of her husband, she can't really offer a strong rebuke without seeming like a hypocrite.

I will say that based on the fact that they allowed their daughter to intern there, I am pretty sure the Obamas didn't know anything about Weinstein's reputation.
I admire the art (but not, of course, the integrity) of anyone making this in any way about Hillary. Especially after all the shit she took in the Media for just talking about the election in her book.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #2393
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
It seems to me the media is going out of its way to avoid making this a Clinton scandal.
Pretty sure we are seeing different media.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #2394
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

It seems to me the media is going out of its way to avoid making this a Clinton scandal. You don't hear anyone mentioning Bill in the same sentence as Weinstein.
The very first suggested search when you type in "Bill Clinton" to Google is "Bill Clinton Harvey Weinstein." If you proceed with the search, you get a slew of news articles and magazine pieces, many of which compare Bill to Weinstein or talk about the donations he received from Weinstein. You need to break out of your liberal bias media echo chamber.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
The very first suggested search when you type in "Bill Clinton" to Google is "Bill Clinton Harvey Weinstein." If you proceed with the search, you get a slew of news articles and magazine pieces, many of which compare Bill to Weinstein or talk about the donations he received from Weinstein. You need to break out of your liberal bias media echo chamber.
Were you Montecore?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #2396
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Which is weird because at minimum, he was widely known to be a total asshole. Like, I, who has no connection to Hollywood at all, knew that.

Which makes me wonder if we should just assume that anyone who is a power-tripping asshole in general is also likely using the same behavior to prey on women.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #2397
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Were you Montecore?
I may have been. Actually, I only now vaguely remember that there was a Montecore sock, and remember nothing about it, so can you explain the joke to me. I know that this will kill any humor in the joke, but help a fellow out.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #2398
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
The very first suggested search when you type in "Bill Clinton" to Google is "Bill Clinton Harvey Weinstein."
I almost certainly whiffing here but you know those suggestions are personalized, right? For her, Google would probably go with "Bill Clinton is currently diddling another underling" or something.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #2399
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Which makes me wonder if we should just assume that anyone who is a power-tripping asshole in general is also likely using the same behavior to prey on women.
Look, I may not always agree with Hank, but I don't think he's a predator.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #2400
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I may have been. Actually, I only now vaguely remember that there was a Montecore sock, and remember nothing about it, so can you explain the joke to me. I know that this will kill any humor in the joke, but help a fellow out.
Montecore was the tiger that attacked Roy of Siegfried and Roy. I don't know why I know that, or why it once might have been funny as a sock.
Closed Thread