LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 282
0 members and 282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #2971
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
That's not what i said.
Can you translate to English for me?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #2972
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Ty:

Also Ty:
Yes, I actually went and found an answer to my own question,* and posted it here.

* Which, btw, was a real question, not a rhetorical one, and seems to have a non-simple answer, per Franke-Ruta's article.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 11-16-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #2973
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Wrong in what regard? There are many angles from which to assess it.
Well, you previously said "Romney’s binder comment was taken out of context and totally mischaracterized by the Left. It’s shameful there were so many retarded people in this country who believed it was sexist." I think that article tends to suggest otherwise.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #2974
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So you're discounting the kiss? and the photo is okay because he was mugging for the camera? To me the fact that the photo was "a joke" somehow makes it seem worse than if snapped without his knowledge, that is not as a "joke."
I am suggesting that the reaction seems disproportionate, as often seems to happen with shaming on the internet.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #2975
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I seem to be the only person on the internet who thinks that Al Franken doesn't deserve the full Justine Sacco treatment.
Not sure I see the comparison to Justine Sacco. She was criticized and punished for people willfully misinterpreting what she said. How is Al being misinterpreted?

If fact, his second statement today seems to get it. It's what he should have said first. An unconditional apology and welcoming an ethics investigation is what he can do at this point, short of resigning.

I don't want to be the one who has to figure out if he should resign. I'm going to listen to women on that question.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #2976
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Well, you previously said "Romney’s binder comment was taken out of context and totally mischaracterized by the Left. It’s shameful there were so many retarded people in this country who believed it was sexist." I think that article tends to suggest otherwise.
In that regard, yes, you found an exception, if one counts the Atlantic among the Left. I do not. I think it’s just a well written moderate magazine.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #2977
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I am suggesting that the reaction seems disproportionate, as often seems to happen with shaming on the internet.
The allegation is that he assaulted her - forcing a kiss - and then harassed her about it. What's proportionate?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #2978
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Not sure I see the comparison to Justine Sacco. She was criticized and punished for people willfully misinterpreting what she said. How is Al being misinterpreted?

If fact, his second statement today seems to get it. It's what he should have said first. An unconditional apology and welcoming an ethics investigation is what he can do at this point, short of resigning.

I don't want to be the one who has to figure out if he should resign. I'm going to listen to women on that question.
Why is it that these trolls think smart, super-attractive women would be interested in them just because they’re politicians? There are plenty of gold diggers out there, and they aren’t hard to spot. Don’t play out of your league, dude.

This doesn’t apply to Clinton. Even as a straight male, I can see his sexual charisma and he’s a decent looking cat.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #2979
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The allegation is that he assaulted her - forcing a kiss - and then harassed her about it. What's proportionate?
"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me." He then kissed her.

Would I have done what he did? No. Do I think he should have listened to her? Yes. Do I think he comes off well? No. If he says "we should kiss" and she says "OK" and then they kiss, is that assault? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder
I'm pro listening to women on that question, also anti abdicating ones own responsibility as a citizen.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #2980
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me." He then kissed her.
You left out the "stuck his tongue down my throat." (paraphrase)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #2981
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

So it looks like Al Franken has a second victim coming forward....

This is getting schadenfreudtastic.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #2982
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
You left out the "stuck his tongue down my throat." (paraphrase)
Come on, you went to law school too.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #2983
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I don't think either palm is touching her, but it looks to me like at least his left ring finger is and probably the rest of his left hand fingertips. Harder to tell on the right.
Not that it matters at this point, but we must be looking at two different photos.

Quote:
As you say, stupid, and I'd add gross, either way.
Yes. Gross, stupid, childish, sexist.

TM
Old 11-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #2984
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I seem to be the only person on the internet who thinks that Al Franken doesn't deserve the full Justine Sacco treatment.
The calls for his resignation seem a bit premature. If he admitted to forcibly kissing this woman, I might be agree that he should go. But if they were doing a scene that called for a kiss and he actually wanted to practice it, it's hard to say he should be removed from office for that.

The photo is stupid. If that's all he did, I don't see it as something that should be dwelled on. If he actually groped her after that photo was taken, he should be in deep shit.

TM
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #2985
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
So it looks like Al Franken has a second victim coming forward....

This is getting schadenfreudtastic.
You mean the right winger who says he argued with her about budget numbers after an appearance on Politically Incorrect and called her a few times after to continue doing so?
Closed Thread