LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 139
0 members and 139 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #301
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
He doesn't need to read them. He knows it's because Trip who lives on the next cul-de-sac over feels ennui over being dissatisfied about his meager earnings as a CPA and not being able to get the credit card company to agree to raise his limit for the new ski doo he wanted to give the kids for this summer. If only Trip could instead be a real man like a coal miner, he wouldn't even have to be a racist.
Rewrite bin.

Try again.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #302
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'm sure Bezos is not fond of Trump, given how Trump has threatened his business. But imagining that motive does not get you to the rest.
Come on. This shit isn't even debated anymore in DC. It's not even considered a rumor. More a known-but-never-published fact.

Bezos and WaPo have gone full retard on Trump. They're not even trying to hide it.

Did you even scan SEC's cites to stories they've had to walk back? They make the Times look like a right leaning outlet on Trump.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #303
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Huh? Sebby et al elected Trump.
For fuck's sake... We all elected Trump. Own your piece of it. This shtick's below you.

Blame's worth what exactly? You blame me; I couldn't care less, and tell you so. You blame me again and the cycle continues.

I get your point. Heard it. Registered. Anything else to offer?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #304
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Come on. This shit isn't even debated anymore in DC. It's not even considered a rumor. More a known-but-never-published fact.

Bezos and WaPo have gone full retard on Trump. They're not even trying to hide it.

Did you even scan SEC's cites to stories they've had to walk back? They make the Times look like a right leaning outlet on Trump.
This is just silly. Occam's Razor, dude. You don't need to create a billionaire grudge match to explain what's been going on, fun as it is. If you know anything about how Amazon does business, you'd find this hard to square.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 PM   #305
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
This is just silly. Occam's Razor, dude. You don't need to create a billionaire grudge match to explain what's been going on, fun as it is. If you know anything about how Amazon does business, you'd find this hard to square.
This is exactly Occam's Razor. Bezos fears a long game problem, not a hiccup in coding/service bodies because of some short term immigration nonsense.

Bezos is effectively running a country. It's reasonable to buy the "he secretly likes Trump and they have a side deal" story. But I'm guessing you find that as silly/conspiracy-theory as I do.

WaPo is Bezos' pick-stitched-with-surgeons-cuffs PR arm for the moment. And Bezos is involved enough to appear at press dinners in DC, which is serious slumming for a cat of his stature.

There's a game here. And it looks like one Bezos can win. Because, like trump, he Does Not Give a Fuck. If Donald caves to him where necessary, and he will, we'll see WaPo kiss Donald's ass (or criticize POTUS weakly enough that even he'll be able to best the paper on Meet the Press).

This sounds cynical. But I know you know it's not.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-24-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 AM   #306
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
This is exactly Occam's Razor. Bezos fears a long game problem, not a hiccup in coding/service bodies because of some short term immigration nonsense.

Bezos is effectively running a country. It's reasonable to buy the "he secretly likes Trump and they have a side deal" story. But I'm guessing you find that as silly/conspiracy-theory as I do.

WaPo is Bezos' pick-stitched-with-surgeons-cuffs PR arm for the moment. And Bezos is involved enough to appear at press dinners in DC, which is serious slumming for a cat of his stature.

There's a game here. And it looks like one Bezos can win. Because, like trump, he Does Not Give a Fuck. If Donald caves to him where necessary, and he will, we'll see WaPo kiss Donald's ass (or criticize POTUS weakly enough that even he'll be able to best the paper on Meet the Press).

This sounds cynical. But I know you know it's not.
It's not cynical, it's utterly fanciful. The Washington Post is doing what it would under any other owner. There's no game here at all, and it's not clear how Bezos would "win" it if there were. You need underpants gnomes to connect the dots.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #307
Not Bob

Quote:
Amazing this got not one response, but Sebby got a dozen.
Namaste.

After catching up, I'll agree with GGG on this. Traditional gerrymandering seems to be ok so long as race isn't involved (or presumably some other protected class - maybe religion in some areas? Like Hasidic Jews in NY or non-Mormons in Utah?). But as GGG noted, lots of the South is politically paralyzed by race. Ironically, the gutting of the Voting Rights Act may come into play against the GOP in one sense - the idea of creating majority black districts was originally a way to comply with the redistricting pre-clearance provisions of the VRA.

Also, I was a little shocked that Justice Thomas joined the majority on this one. I guess NC went too far even for him to stomach.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #308
Not Bob

Quote:
It's not cynical, it's utterly fanciful. The Washington Post is doing what it would under any other owner. There's no game here at all, and it's not clear how Bezos would "win" it if there were. You need underpants gnomes to connect the dots.
I agree that WaPo is currently acting like the paper of Katherine Graham and Ben Bradlee, but it makes me nervous when a first-generation in the business rich individual owns a media company. See Rupert Murdoch and even Michael Bloomberg (who, for business reasons, reportedly spiked some stories in Asia that the Chinese government didn't like).

When Bezos bought the paper, I had concerns that he was going to use it to help Amazon deal with potential regulatory problems. I don't think it's happened yet, but I'm still a little nervous about him owning the only newspaper in the nation's capital.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #309
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
yes. Sorry. but certainly worthy of more discussion than Sebby wondering why trump won.
Agree completely, and agree completely on your Sebby posts two. He owns it.

The race/party thing is getting very real with this decision; the Republicans have declined a long long way from the days when the Warren Court carried on the traditions of Lincoln. To me, what's most important about that decision is not how it plays out in Gerrymandering, but how it plays out in the Court's broader view. Are Thomas and Sotomayor having conversations about race in America that are going to change the dynamics of the court? Has Thomas been reading some of Warren's decisions, and rediscovering some past core values of part of the Republican party?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #310
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I agree that WaPo is currently acting like the paper of Katherine Graham and Ben Bradlee, but it makes me nervous when a first-generation in the business rich individual owns a media company. See Rupert Murdoch and even Michael Bloomberg (who, for business reasons, reportedly spiked some stories in Asia that the Chinese government didn't like).

When Bezos bought the paper, I had concerns that he was going to use it to help Amazon deal with potential regulatory problems. I don't think it's happened yet, but I'm still a little nervous about him owning the only newspaper in the nation's capital.
Rich people own newspapers. I'd love to see a different model, but it seems to be ours.

Proof is always in the pudding, and so far, it's pretty good pudding.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #311
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
For fuck's sake... We all elected Trump. Own your piece of it.
Yes, those of us who campaigned for, donated to and voted for the other possible alternative elected this guy. Uh huh.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #312
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Amazing this got not one response, but Sebby got a dozen.
Still haven't read it. Have an article on it cued up. But color me skeptical over the prospect of this opinion being used as a sword as opposed to a shield--a shield against blatantly obvious race-based gerrymandering.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 05-24-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #313
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Jesus, this borders on the galactically stupid. Is it your goal to think up the dumbest shit and spew it out in hopes of someone paying you some attention?

TM
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #314
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Has Thomas been reading some of Warren's decisions, and rediscovering some past core values of part of the Republican party?

TM
Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #315
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post

TM
Exactly.

I'll be interested in your reaction to Thomas's concurrence in this case - it's two pages, and he joins the majority opinion (!) but adds that in addition he would apply strict scrutiny simply because the legislature indicated it was creating a "majority-Black" district, and goes on from there.