LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 306
0 members and 306 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #5026
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be rediculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
...Democrats too often went along with austerity and/or failed to make a good case against it.
They absolutely did. Not being able to get more revenue is one of the glaring failures of the Obama administration (although I wouldn't blame him).
Old 05-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #5027
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
And I think if Hillary were a man, Trump would have been beaten like a drum.
One thing that bothers me about all this focus on the Obama/Trump voter is it misses this fundamental point.

And people don't even realize that they dislike Hillary in part because she's a woman. The ingrained misogyny is just so prevalent.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #5028
Not Bob

Out her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
More importantly, Not Bob won the K race, and we need a new thread!
Two in a row, bay-bee! Wait, does this mean that Kafka (sniff) was right all those years ago when he thought I was one of Penske's (sniff) socks?

Whoa if true! (as the kids say on Twitter).

ETA: premature post. Re line was intended to be "Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals."

Now I need to think of a board title. Hmmm

Last edited by Not Bob; 05-01-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #5029
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I think many, many things contributed to where we are now in the world. Shitty turnout in the UK, Russian interference all over the place, a rise in racism sparked by reactions to terrorism, your point about gains in the economy going to the wealthy, the amazingly shitty Republican field, Comey's idiotic contributions, and the ease with which the right can deliver a message of "Has any of this shit we've undermined at every turn worked for you? Let's burn it all down since you have nothing to lose" to an ignorant and stupid electorate.

But if Obama were white, I don't think Trump gains much traction here. The gains made in 2010 wouldn't be anywhere near as big on the right, which means there would be far fewer gerrymandered Republican districts, the racist outpouring that is the Tea Party vote wouldn't exist. Etc., etc., etc.

And I think if Hillary were a man, Trump would have been beaten like a drum.

TM
Hard to argue counterfactuals, but I think it is both true that people opposed Obama and Democrats out of racism, and that opposition to Obama and Democrats fed and encouraged racism.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #5030
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, the NYT editorial board seems to agree with you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/o...imes&smtyp=cur

If it makes you feel worse, I think this part of the editorial is as off as much of what you wrote:

'The Obamas are starting a foundation whose work will include “training and elevating a new generation of political leaders in America,” Eric Schultz, an Obama adviser, said in a statement. “President Obama will deliver speeches from time to time. Some of those speeches will be paid, some will be unpaid, and regardless of venue or sponsor, President Obama will be true to his values, his vision, and his record.”

But why not elevate a new generation of political leaders and stay true to his values by giving his speech fees to his foundation and other charities focused on those goals?'

This supreme focus on what they don't like and the short shrift given to his plans for public service is just irresponsible.

TM
I think it is both true that editorial boards encourage otherwise normal people to engage in tut-tutting, and that people who like to engage in tut-tutting are disproportionately drawn to editorial boards.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #5031
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
They absolutely did. Not being able to get more revenue is one of the glaring failures of the Obama administration (although I wouldn't blame him).
2010 State of the Union:

Quote:
Now if we had taken office in ordinary times, I would have liked nothing more than to start bringing down the deficit. But we took office amid a crisis, and our efforts to prevent a second Depression have added another $1 trillion to our national debt.

I am absolutely convinced that was the right thing to do. But families across the country are tightening their belts and making tough decisions. The federal government should do the same. So tonight, I'm proposing specific steps to pay for the $1 trillion that it took to rescue the economy last year.

Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. Spending related to our national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will not be affected. But all other discretionary government programs will. Like any cash-strapped family, we will work within a budget to invest in what we need and sacrifice what we don't. And if I have to enforce this discipline by veto, I will.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Closed Thread