LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 137
0 members and 137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:58 AM   #76
paigowprincess

Organic voodoo for pets

Quote:
Originally posted by Lexus Talionis
You might try asking the people at the Bradley Hills Animal Hospital (www.ferretdoctor.com). The guy is a vet, but he's pretty full-service, so he might be able to recommend somebody to you. (The guy's got everything - for example, he's one of the 2% of vets equipped to perform laser surgery rather than the traditional scalpel & stitch method. He also has separate waiting rooms for cats and dogs so that they don't stress each other while they wait.)

It seems to me that there's never anything in DC, but there's almost always what you're looking for somewhere around DC if you look hard enough.

By the way, if you decide to change the vaccination regime, make sure to check DC law first. The place is run by liberals, so I'm sure there are a few dozen regulations about mandatory vaccinations.

Lexis (pet refuses anything but kibble) T.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to look into that vet you recommended for when the paipets get into trouble. Hopefully it isnt too far away. I asked Friendship Animal Hospital and my local organic doggie bakery emporium and both referred me to a vet named Monique something in Bethesda. The website Ann Elk posted also referred to her, and she is 50 to 75 percent homeopathic so she might be perfect.

what is it with DC that everything is around DC but not in it? This place is weird.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #77
WHTFH

Complementary, Holistic and Alternative medicine for pets

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
I looked into the barf thing and learned that scary things like lungs and livers and kidneys and brains were in there bc thats where all the nutrition is. Given that I am a veggie, I cant do that.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
She's pretty much a veggie, since I rarely eat meat.
I have to say that it's moronic that you won't feed your animals (sufficient amounts of) meat solely because you're vegetarians. I mean, if you're going to go to all this trouble with the holistic approach, at least feed the animals what their bodies are designed for. Meat.

Of course, I just feed my dogs Science Diet Light because it's easy and they seem to like it and are healthy, so don't look at me. I think it has chicken in it.

I also give one dog Creatine. She's going for Bonds's record!
Old 05-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #78
paigowprincess

Quote:
Originally posted by WHTFH
I have to say that it's moronic that you won't feed your animals (sufficient amounts of) meat solely because you're vegetarians. I mean, if you're going to go to all this trouble with the holistic approach, at least feed the animals what their bodies are designed for. Meat.

Of course, I just feed my dogs Science Diet Light because it's easy and they seem to like it and are healthy, so don't look at me. I think it has chicken in it.

I also give one dog Creatine. She's going for Bonds's record!
Taking me out of context is bad lawyering counsel. You will note that I also state I feed the paigettes free rnage meat and organic veggies.

Science diet is loaded with filler and has preservatives. Not as toxic as Purina but you could probably keep your dog better noursihed and give him a longer life with Canidae or Solid Gold. I think Science Diet would be the equivlane of living on a diet of Healthy Choice entrees- low fat, has nutrition, but has preservatives and too much filler stuff.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:16 AM   #79
WHTFH

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Taking me out of context is bad lawyering counsel. You will note that I also state I feed the paigettes free rnage meat and organic veggies.

Science diet is loaded with filler and has preservatives. Not as toxic as Purina but you could probably keep your dog better noursihed and give him a longer life with Canidae or Solid Gold. I think Science Diet would be the equivlane of living on a diet of Healthy Choice entrees- low fat, has nutrition, but has preservatives and too much filler stuff.
Actually, I added the parenthetical regarding "sufficient amounts" specifically because you DO give your animals some meat.

If Healthy Choice is good enough for me, Science Diet is good enough for the dogs. After all, they are dogs.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 AM   #80
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Quote:

Elk-puppy gest plenty of meat. Her is kibble made from lamb and rice. To supplement that she gets treats that contain meat (salmon and liver), she gets raw bones, and meat and eggs whenever I have them to share. I use vegetables to supplement her diet. She loves them. It's amusing to see a dog droll in anticipation of a broccoli stalk.

Has your dog ever eaten grass? Or rooted around in the garbage? In addition to hunters, they are also scavengers.

There is an article on vegetarian diets for dogs in the issue of Whole Dog Journal that I got last night. They recommend that before you put your dog on such a diet that you meet with a vet and a nutritionist so you can design the proper diet for the animal.

My dog is very healthy. Everyone (including vets and groomers) remark upon her healthy coat and white teeth.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #81
WHTFH

Quote:
Has your dog ever eaten grass? Or rooted around in the garbage? In addition to hunters, they are also scavengers.
Rarely do they eat grass. We don't leave our garbage out in the open, so they don't root around in it, although they sniff at anything that resembles food.

More power to you though. Luckily, my dogs eat about $35 worth of food per day and require about $15 worth of meds (2 dogs aggregate weight of 76lbs). Much, much easier to maintain as well
Old 05-20-2003, 12:05 PM   #82
robustpuppy

Quote:
Rarely do they eat grass. We don't leave our garbage out in the open, so they don't root around in it, although they sniff at anything that resembles food.

More power to you though. Luckily, my dogs eat about $35 worth of food per day and require about $15 worth of meds (2 dogs aggregate weight of 76lbs). Much, much easier to maintain as well
You could improve the quality and variety of their nutrition by rotating the dogs through 3-4 super premium foods per year. All of the following foods are better than SD (better quality protein source, better other ingredients, no chemical preservatives), easy to find in the DC area (this makes it on topic!), and probably cost the same per feeding:

Nutro (Petco & Petsmart)
Nature's Choice (Petco & Petsmart)
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance (Petco)
Wellness (My Organic Market, Pro Feed in Alexandria, other small shops in DC area)

Switching foods provides greater nutritional variety (as nothing is complete/perfect) and staves off food allergies. Also, a better quality diet will surely improve the dog's overall health in the long term. Just be sure to transition from one food to the next over the course of 5-7 days, by mixing increasing amounts of the new food into the old food.

I wish I had put my older dog and my cat on better diets long ago; as I'm sure some of their health problems that are now controlled through meds and prescription diets could have been, if not prevented completely, delayed in onset. My younger dog has had ear infections and skin problems that have improved by switching the protein source in her diet.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:36 PM   #83
WHTFH

Dog Stuff

If you really want to spend your money, you could always take your pets here:

http://www.oldetownepetresort.com/indexf.html
Old 05-20-2003, 12:40 PM   #84
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Dog Stuff

Quote:
If you really want to spend your money, you could always take your pets here:

http://www.oldetownepetresort.com/indexf.html
Or here.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #85
WHTFH

Dog Stuff

Quote:
Or here.
Yes, I agree that it would be more extravagant to fly your dog to Vermont for the weekend.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:44 PM   #86
Norman Bates Label

Question Pillsbury Winthrop - input please

If there's anyone out there who can shed some light on Pillsbury Winthrop, I'd appreciate it. I may be interviewing for a position in their litigation group soon (as a non-attorney) and I would like to know about things such QOL, personalities, workload, etc.

I don't care about Frode Jensen, I just want to know whether or not I'd be giving up a huge chunk of QOL going from a rather good QOL DC-area BIGLAW firm to another.

Please feel free to respond here or to me privately.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #87
copycat

Shaw Pittman DC/NoVa

Any news on the environment, QOL, QOW, etc. post layoffs? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #88
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Paigow, are you writing for Travel and Leisure these days?

"A national, but unscientific, poll by Travel & Leisure magazine ranked the District as the worst place to shop (and barhop) among the country's 25 most popular urban destinations. "

(rest of Washington Post article)
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #89
On n'a qu'une vie

GWU Prof Butler disses O'Conner

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/25/oc....ap/index.html

Spree: see re:

(Boy, it's great to be back in Washington.)
Old 05-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #90
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

GWU Prof Butler disses O'Conner

He wasn't dissing her, he was lobbying for her vote on the Michigan case.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote