LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 356
0 members and 356 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #2431
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
In a sign that things have come full circle around here, can I just say, this is fucking crazier than Trump at a Rally. Total lunacy. What are they thinking?
I don't think it's lunacy. On the one hand, I feel like it's money out of my pocket and another bump on my road to early retirement. On the other, the market is what the market is, the associates work extremely hard -- around the clock generally without complaint and have massive student loans. Why shouldn't they get a raise?
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #2432
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
I don't think it's lunacy. On the one hand, I feel like it's money out of my pocket and another bump on my road to early retirement. On the other, the market is what the market is, the associates work extremely hard -- around the clock generally without complaint and have massive student loans. Why shouldn't they get a raise?
Whoa!!!, I forget what we used to post to make atticus come back, but this is waaaaaayyyy more valuable!!!! Call big firms crazy and the hotties are posting!!!! Now, right now, is the time to post TMBD III application details.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #2433
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I don't think you need to lift heavy until you are already in fairly good shape (and who's to say you're not--I have no idea). I do think people need to lift in combination with cardio in order to maximize weight loss and redistribution (because let's face it, it doesn't matter what you weigh once you get within a certain range--it matters how you've shifted the proportion of fat to muscle). Also, if you have more muscle, you burn more calories at rest and your body uses calories it would have otherwise stored as fat.

When I think "lift heavy," I mean "heavy for you or me or whoever." And I don't mean bro lifting (bench, curls, extensions, repeat). I mean hitting muscle groups that you would never think of hitting on your own--and that usually means a trainer or a class of some sort.

TM
In good shape just a old man. Working out benching 225 is in my past as is any kind of exercise where I reach back. For me just light weight eg, curls w 25- lb dumbells 3 x 20.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #2434
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Whoa!!!, I forget what we used to post to make atticus come back, but this is waaaaaayyyy more valuable!!!! Call big firms crazy and the hotties are posting!!!! Now, right now, is the time to post TMBD III application details.
Damn at work they tell me it's normal that I just get the leftover turkey sandwiches after they ate.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #2435
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Sorry, maybe I am older than all of you but when I lift heavy shit I just hurt for days.
Have you tried high weight/low reps? Something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts? I did it for about a year and almost never got sore. And then just last week I did higher reps of squats (10-12) with a little lower weight and was sore for 4 days. Apparently not doing high reps and/or not lifting to failure doesn't cause nearly as much soreness.*

* so many double negatives.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #2436

Quote:

When I think "lift heavy," I mean "heavy for you or me or whoever." And I don't mean bro lifting (bench, curls, extensions, repeat). I mean hitting muscle groups that you would never think of hitting on your own--and that usually means a trainer or a class of some sort.

TM
The big lifts* are the most important (for strength). Always focus on those before doing any accessory lifts (curls, tri extensions, flys, etc) unless you are a professional athlete training for a particular sport.

*Squats, Deadlifts, Standing Overhead Barbell Press, Bent Over Rows, Bench Press.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #2437
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Have you tried high weight/low reps? Something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts? I did it for about a year and almost never got sore. And then just last week I did higher reps of squats (10-12) with a little lower weight and was sore for 4 days. Apparently not doing high reps and/or not lifting to failure doesn't cause nearly as much soreness.*

* so many double negatives.
I am not talking soreness, I am talking injury-type pulled muscles etc.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #2438
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
In good shape just a old man. Working out benching 225 is in my past as is any kind of exercise where I reach back. For me just light weight eg, curls w 25- lb dumbells 3 x 20.
I feel you on being old. I'm regularly the oldest dude in my class.

3x20 with 25 lb dumbells is definitely work. When I worked out by myself at a gym I did that every once in awhile. I just made sure to up it or increase reps once it got too easy.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-06-2018 at 10:56 AM..
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #2439
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
The big lifts* are the most important (for strength). Always focus on those before doing any accessory lifts (curls, tri extensions, flys, etc) unless you are a professional athlete training for a particular sport.

*Squats, Deadlifts, Standing Overhead Barbell Press, Bent Over Rows, Bench Press.
I don't care about strength. It comes with all the work. I understand the people who are constantly trying to beat their personal records, but I'm too old to really care about that shit. I want my body to look a certain way and I want my knees to work. I do more squats than I'd like, I do a lot of Olympic-style lifts, body weight stuff, and way too many fucking burpees and thrusters.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #2440
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
My comment was half in jest. Yes, it's all the market.

My biggest worry is this - in the past I've relied on big law to give me good well trained (if much abused) mid level associates; I have hired out of those places.

They train corporate associates for shit now, because they focus them too early on two narrow a space in order to justify the rates. So now they raid me for mid-level and senior associates who can actually think, and I can't use the people they're done with, since I can train a second or third year to be a better corporate generalist than their myopic fifth years.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #2441
Icky Thump

Quote:
I don't care about strength. It comes with all the work. I understand the people who are constantly trying to beat their personal records, but I'm too old to really care about that shit. I want my body to look a certain way and I want my knees to work. I do more squats than I'd like, I do a lot of Olympic-style lifts, body weight stuff, and way too many fucking burpees and thrusters.

TM
This.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #2442
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Yes, that makes sense. But the machine should be able to accurately measure how much work you did, which is the minimum your body burned. If you could trust machines to get that right (which I'm not sure you can), then that number would be useful as a comparison for a single person across different workouts.
FWIW, I'm a numbers/tracking junkie. I have something like four or five different ways of tracking what I'm doing in terms of workouts. The most consistent is my heart rate monitor, and it's always lower than the machines (which I also track), but I think of it more as a ballpark than an exact number of calories burned.

I use it more for comparison purposes to other workouts than I do for comparisons with what I'm eating. I think of food calories and exercise calories as two different things. The more weight I lose, the harder it is to get the calorie expenditure up. I have to either work harder or go longer.

My particular heart rate monitor also has a VO2 max function, which I take with a massive grain of salt because it's not actually measuring oxygen expenditure but making some (probably decentish) conclusions based on my resting heart rate, heart rate variability, age, height, weight, sex, etc. I've read that it's within about 7% of accuracy, and since I'm never going to be an elite athlete, the exact amount isn't important. But I check it every month or so, again, for comparison purposes and to make sure I'm on track of increasing or maintaining my fitness level.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #2443

Quote:

TM
I'm not trying to beat any personal records. I'm never going to be able to rep 225 again. But I do want to stay strong as I get older. And build/maintain muscle. I guess I care about how I look, but in reality looking good is mostly about staying lean, and that's mostly diet.

If the sole goal is to look good, then the best way to do that is to do what bodybuilders do: go through a bulk phase (gaining muscle), and then a cut phase (losing weight/fat without losing that lean muscle you just put on). Some of those dudes barely do any cardio.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 06-07-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #2444
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I'm not trying to beat any personal records. I'm never going to be able to rep 225 again. But I do want to stay strong as I get older. And build/maintain muscle. I guess I care about how I look, but in reality looking good is mostly about staying lean, and that's mostly diet.

If the sole goal is to look good, then the best way to do that is to do what bodybuilders do: go through a bulk phase (gaining muscle), and then a cut phase (losing weight/fat without losing that lean muscle you just put on). Some of those dudes barely do any cardio.
Once upon a time I could pack 25-30 miles in a day on the AT with a 60 pound pack.

My goal this summer is to get to the point where I can do 5-10 miles on the AT with a day pack without feeling like a heart attack is imminent.

Baby steps.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #2445
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

I keep telling you, if you want to look good you'll need to get some work done. weights won't do it.

You right earlobe hangs far too low compared to the left. There is no reason to walk around with that in 2018.