LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 138
0 members and 138 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #2656
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: "[There'll be some leaking in the press]/That will disclose/What everybody knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
So, the new tax bill contains a "bubble bracket" where a 45.6% rate will apply while the benefit of the 12% bracket is recaptured. When you combine that with losing the interest deduction on more than 500K and the cap on SALT, I'd say big city lawyers are going to join the folks in the bottom half of the income brackets in ponying up to fund the tax cut for billionaires.
The SALT cap alone would destroy NJ’s housing market.

These numbers are starting points to give Trump an alibi when he passes a tax bill of epic proportions we cannot afford. “The people on the coasts and those sleazy realtors made me give up the SALT and interest deduction caps, with which it would not have created any more debt!”
Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #2657
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: "[There'll be some leaking in the press]/That will disclose/What everybody knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

These numbers are starting points to give Trump an alibi when he passes a tax bill of epic proportions we cannot afford. “The people on the coasts and those sleazy realtors made me give up the SALT and interest deduction caps, with which it would not have created any more debt!”
The "throw out something crazy and compromise down to the merely aggressive" strategy might work when you go through regular order and the only people paying attention to the first draft sleep within an hour of the white house, but when you need public support for a bill you're trying to pass on a tight timeline without committee process or input, it's not really a good strategy. You quickly kill the credibility that might have gotten your bill through.

You'd think they might have figured that out by now, given that they've been doing it all year.

From what I'm seeing right now, I'd say they're chances of getting a tax bill this year are collapsing.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #2658
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

To pass, the bill must grow the deficit by no more than $1.5 trillion over ten years, and not at all after that. Otherwise they need 60 votes in the Senate, which they won't get.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #2659
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
To pass, the bill must grow the deficit by no more than $1.5 trillion over ten years, and not at all after that. Otherwise they need 60 votes in the Senate, which they won't get.
One more Trump plan, DOA.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #2660
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The "throw out something crazy and compromise down to the merely aggressive" strategy might work when you go through regular order and the only people paying attention to the first draft sleep within an hour of the white house, but when you need public support for a bill you're trying to pass on a tight timeline without committee process or input, it's not really a good strategy. You quickly kill the credibility that might have gotten your bill through.

You'd think they might have figured that out by now, given that they've been doing it all year.

From what I'm seeing right now, I'd say they're chances of getting a tax bill this year are collapsing.
Good point. He’s pressed to get this done before year’s end, no?

Good. This bill is stupid. We don’t need tax “simplification.” Taxes aren’t that fucking complicated.

This thing looks like a giant, petulant “fuck the coasts” project coupled with a blowjob to billionaires.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #2661
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Good point. He’s pressed to get this done before year’s end, no?

Good. This bill is stupid. We don’t need tax “simplification.” Taxes aren’t that fucking complicated.

This thing looks like a giant, petulant “fuck the coasts” project coupled with a blowjob to billionaires.
The provisions on taxation of corp's foreign profits would have been a massive gift to my international clients, though. So I would have had more work sending shit to China to help pay for my newly inflated tax bill.

Is he just trying to see how much cravenness he can get away with or something? I remain stunned at what morons these people are.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #2662
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Spoken like a lawyer. The wrongdoing is that they raised money from Democrats and wasted it on consultants instead of building the party. If you think of the party apparatchiks and consultants as a class of cronies, the money was spent to enrich those insiders rather than to do get anything done.
I am a lawyer. As a past party apparatchik, and a current party activist, I also care about the party as an institution, something very few people actually do.

I think party apparatchiks add a lot of value, especially if you can keep them for a few years, because they tend to be hard-working, modestly paid younger people who build personal relationships that help the party. Spending money on them IS what you do to get things.

Consultants who charge by the hour are just a bad use of money. But it's not any more tawdry than practicing law.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #2663
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Epistemic Crisis

Quote:
The cul de sac into which we’re headed? https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...istemic-crisis
If only people who lived in swing states voted for candidates who respected the very institutions that set the standards of what constitutes truth and fact this article mentions. Wouldn't that be something.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 11-02-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #2664
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Is he just trying to see how much cravenness he can get away with or something? I remain stunned at what morons these people are.
Who? Ryan? Trump? Republicans generally? Ryan wants to get away with as much un-taxing of the rich as he can. Trump doesn't give a fuck about any of this bill except what his accountant says he will save in taxes. Republicans want tax cuts no matter the cost to this country and the best plan for them is for rich people in blue states to pay for their cuts. And even if the plan hurts a bunch of their constituents, they don't give a fuck because they know their constituents only hear, "cut cut cut." That's it. This shit isn't difficult to understand.

TM
Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #2665
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I am a lawyer. As a past party apparatchik, and a current party activist, I also care about the party as an institution, something very few people actually do.
I do too. When I was much younger, my grandfather told me that the only two institutions that had ever tried to do anything for him were the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the Democratic Party. I have loyalty to the party, but also high expectations.

Quote:
I think party apparatchiks add a lot of value, especially if you can keep them for a few years, because they tend to be hard-working, modestly paid younger people who build personal relationships that help the party. Spending money on them IS what you do to get things.
I have a sibling who worked in Democratic politics for years. It's not a way to get rich, but I don't object to paying for staff. What is the money for? Better staff than television ads.

Quote:
Consultants who charge by the hour are just a bad use of money.
Exactly. Not sure other consultants are better. Some are taking a cut of advertising spend, etc.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #2666
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
The cul de sac into which we’re headed? https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...istemic-crisis
No question about it.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #2667
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Who? Ryan? Trump? Republicans generally? Ryan wants to get away with as much un-taxing of the rich as he can. Trump doesn't give a fuck about any of this bill except what his accountant says he will save in taxes. Republicans want tax cuts no matter the cost to this country and the best plan for them is for rich people in blue states to pay for their cuts. And even if the plan hurts a bunch of their constituents, they don't give a fuck because they know their constituents only hear, "cut cut cut." That's it. This shit isn't difficult to understand.

TM
Well, everyone involved in managing this bill just seems to be a moron, because they seem to be doing it in a way that is destined to fail.

Now I know for people like Ryan, trying to hold a caucus together when the nationalist right, the plutocratic right, and the religious right, a lot of this may not be about getting the bill through but instead about who gets to point fingers at who when it fails, and maybe what he's doing makes sense there. I can't understand Republican infighting well enough to understand that.

But for Trump and the administration, who just need to get something through so they stop looking so incompetent, I don't see the defense. Find two little things you can do, get them done, and call it a big win.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #2668
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
That seems like a real fancy way of saying a lot of folks are cray cray.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #2669
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Same with IL. A $1M house in my sleepy 'burb pays about $25k in property taxes.

Of course, the reason IL's property taxes are so high is because Illinois democrats, mostly Michael Madigan, the nation's longest tenured state speaker, have flushed this state's finances down the drain. Democrats in Illinois aren't typical democrats - they are more like a state sanctioned mafia. Once the kiddos are in college, I'm out. I'm not going to be the last person to turn out the lights - this state is fucked.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #2670
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Same with IL. A $1M house in my sleepy 'burb pays about $25k in property taxes.

Of course, the reason IL's property taxes are so high is because Illinois democrats, mostly Michael Madigan, the nation's longest tenured state speaker, have flushed this state's finances down the drain. Democrats in Illinois aren't typical democrats - they are more like a state sanctioned mafia. Once the kiddos are in college, I'm out. I'm not going to be the last person to turn out the lights - this state is fucked.
The question is: where you going?

I enjoyed my one year of living in Chi-town all those years ago, but the politics of the place were wild. Those were the days when Harold Washington was Mayor and Jesse Jackson was running for President, and the old white machine(s) were more than a little confused.