LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 392
0 members and 392 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #2446
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
In good shape just a old man. Working out benching 225 is in my past as is any kind of exercise where I reach back. For me just light weight eg, curls w 25- lb dumbells 3 x 20.
You can get to 225. You can get to 250 if you try.

And in return, you will get shoulder pain that wakes you in the middle of the night.

I was cranking up the numbers like crazy, as putting on muscle makes it easier to keep off weight. Then, about six months ago, out of the blue, the pain started. Aleve kills off some of it, but man... it's like my arms and shoulders just said, "Nope. You're an old fuck. We're not having this shit anymore."
Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #2447
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I want my knees to work.

TM
Don't ski. But if you must, don't be an ass and try to follow your kid down a mogul course.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #2448
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You can get to 225. You can get to 250 if you try.

And in return, you will get shoulder pain that wakes you in the middle of the night.

I was cranking up the numbers like crazy, as putting on muscle makes it easier to keep off weight. Then, about six months ago, out of the blue, the pain started. Aleve kills off some of it, but man... it's like my arms and shoulders just said, "Nope. You're an old fuck. We're not having this shit anymore."
My husband had rotator cuff surgery last week. It's been awful to watch the recovery (six weeks in a sling, including sleep, followed by three months of PT), but the ligament was hanging by a thread and it would have been inoperable if he'd waited any longer. At first, he was trying to keep off the pain pills as much as possible but that went out the window on day two. In one of the funnier emails I've ever read, his mother told him to find a friend who could get him some marijuana ("this from the woman who used to throw away my stash") to keep him off the opioids. He's a good son, but he still takes the oxycontin every six hours.

Since he's a yoga instructor, he kinda needs to use the shoulder. His doc said that it is an injury he sees from repeated activity (golfers, tennis players, pitchers get this particular tear). I think it's from a) a lifetime of physical jobs, b) a fuckton of power yoga in the last three years, and c) being 45 years old in yoga teacher training with a bunch of 25 years olds and trying to keep up. I also think that power yoga doesn't focus as much on alignment and that can get people into bad habits/trouble. Again, it's probably ok(ish) when you're 25, but at 45 it's gonna make you end up in the OR. The orthos in 20 years are going to see a lot of these.

If the pain is persistent and doesn't go away after weeks of rest, go get it checked out.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #2449
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Once upon a time I could pack 25-30 miles in a day on the AT with a 60 pound pack.

My goal this summer is to get to the point where I can do 5-10 miles on the AT with a day pack without feeling like a heart attack is imminent.

Baby steps.
Man, I'd love to be near the AT. How far are you from it?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I keep telling you, if you want to look good you'll need to get some work done. weights won't do it.
Oh I'm much better looking in my mind than I am in real life.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #2451

Quote:
Don't ski. But if you must, don't be an ass and try to follow your kid down a mogul course.
Young skiers are maniacs. My 8 year old bombs down every goddamn run (as I'm screaming at her to slow down).
Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #2452
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Man, I'd love to be near the AT. How far are you from it?
There are sections that are about an hour and a half drive from my house in NH; some of my favorite sections are about 2 1/2 hours from here out in the Berkshires - I was all over those as a kid.

End of next week though I'm going to be up near the head. I am not in shape for Katahdin, but may try a day hike or two on the IAT north of Katahdin, as I've never been on those trails.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #2453
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I'm not trying to beat any personal records. I'm never going to be able to rep 225 again. But I do want to stay strong as I get older. And build/maintain muscle. I guess I care about how I look, but in reality looking good is mostly about staying lean, and that's mostly diet.
Ain't that the truth.

I'm not interested in putting on any more muscle (except maybe my chest a bit). But you're right. It's about staying lean and strong enough at this point.

Quote:
If the sole goal is to look good, then the best way to do that is to do what bodybuilders do: go through a bulk phase (gaining muscle), and then a cut phase (losing weight/fat without losing that lean muscle you just put on). Some of those dudes barely do any cardio.
I've found that I'm in a stage in my life where, when I say I want my body to look a certain way, that means it needs to look a certain way based on the fact that I drink beer and eat delicious foods. Every once in awhile (like now), I cut some excess weight, but when I do I tend to build it back up to where my body wants to be.

I do no cardio except for the conditioning portions of the designed workouts (which can get pretty intense) and basketball once a week. But I never do any running/elliptical, bike, or swim work. There is more erg work than I'd like.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-07-2018 at 02:51 PM..
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #2454
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Never ski. Snowboard a bit every few years. Winter sports aren't the issue. The issue is the 4 knee surgeries (including 1 ACL reconstruction) and the lack of any cartilage or meniscus in either knee (and the resulting arthritis).

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #2455
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
My husband had rotator cuff surgery last week. It's been awful to watch the recovery (six weeks in a sling, including sleep, followed by three months of PT), but the ligament was hanging by a thread and it would have been inoperable if he'd waited any longer. At first, he was trying to keep off the pain pills as much as possible but that went out the window on day two. In one of the funnier emails I've ever read, his mother told him to find a friend who could get him some marijuana ("this from the woman who used to throw away my stash") to keep him off the opioids. He's a good son, but he still takes the oxycontin every six hours.

Since he's a yoga instructor, he kinda needs to use the shoulder. His doc said that it is an injury he sees from repeated activity (golfers, tennis players, pitchers get this particular tear). I think it's from a) a lifetime of physical jobs, b) a fuckton of power yoga in the last three years, and c) being 45 years old in yoga teacher training with a bunch of 25 years olds and trying to keep up. I also think that power yoga doesn't focus as much on alignment and that can get people into bad habits/trouble. Again, it's probably ok(ish) when you're 25, but at 45 it's gonna make you end up in the OR. The orthos in 20 years are going to see a lot of these.

If the pain is persistent and doesn't go away after weeks of rest, go get it checked out.
I can vouch for the weed thing. Hit it hard before bed and the muscle pain is gone through the night and you wake up more limber than otherwise.

The pain comes and goes. But when it's on, it's nasty.

I can't help thinking of my little league coach who used to yell at me for pitching like my hero, Kent Tekulve. "You'll ruin your arm if you throw like that as a kid!!!" I used to be able to throw a perfect bullet spiral. Now I'm in pain after ten minutes of throwing a football with the kid.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #2456
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Young skiers are maniacs. My 8 year old bombs down every goddamn run (as I'm screaming at her to slow down).
I'm jealous. They grew up with these short parabolic skis. They never knew the pain of 190s, how it was impossible not to catch an edge and get out of control so easily.

I love seeing those old cats who still use straight skis. You've got to be a badass to run those things down a black diamond.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #2457
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Never ski. Snowboard a bit every few years. Winter sports aren't the issue. The issue is the 4 knee surgeries (including 1 ACL reconstruction) and the lack of any cartilage or meniscus in either knee (and the resulting arthritis).

TM
4 surgeries? You're the record holder. Bucket handle? MCL?

I've only known one person who did the PCL.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #2458
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Like GGG, I'm going to briefly return us to the board's former mission. Am interviewing for a GC position and things seem to be progressing well. If/when I get to negotiating compensation, I don't have good information about the going rate for such jobs at such companies. Suggestions about how to do this?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #2459
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

TM
All b-ball injuries? I always thought the Zen thought, "i want to quit playing the day before i blow out my knee!"

as the players in my group were aging, a guy would go down from time to time. mostly they got their surgery and didn't come back. But Frank, he got his surgery, and was back shooting and jogging soon after. We'd see him lifting too. and he said he was coming back, soon.

then he was back. and he played with a big brace on his right knee. and he played a shard as ever. a few months later I'm playing with him, and he collapses, and grabs his knee. We were all bummed. He'd worked so hard to rehab his right knee. It took a moment to realize he'd blown out his left knee.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #2460
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
I can vouch for the weed thing. Hit it hard before bed and the muscle pain is gone through the night and you wake up more limber than otherwise.

The pain comes and goes. But when it's on, it's nasty.

I can't help thinking of my little league coach who used to yell at me for pitching like my hero, Kent Tekulve. "You'll ruin your arm if you throw like that as a kid!!!" I used to be able to throw a perfect bullet spiral. Now I'm in pain after ten minutes of throwing a football with the kid.
He's, er, practiced in cannabis consumption.

He first noticed the shoulder pain about eight months ago, but thought he could work through it. About two months in, he was hit with the 'flu and was out for six weeks recovering. When he went back to yoga, the pain immediately returned, which told him that it wasn't something rest and ice would take care of, so he sucked it up and went to see the ortho.

Age has caught up to him hard this year. 20 plus years in the music industry and over 2000 live concerts means almost permanent ringing in his ears. We don't go to shows anymore unless we're absolutely we know where the good earplugs are.

He had an appendectomy two months before the shoulder surgery.

The good news is we've hit the deductible this year, so we have about three months to get anything else cleared up without paying for it out of pocket.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote