LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 100
0 members and 100 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #3016
TexLex

Cankles

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
Another reason to avoid an epidural--no IV fluids means your ankles get back to normal sooner. Big difference here between no. 1 (epidural) and no. 2 (none).
Yep. Though I had hideous swelling after both c-s, with the second it got MUCH worse and I was admitted with (among other things) PP Hypertension (postecclampsia?). BP (normally a happy 104/65) was and angry 190/115 and increasing.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #3017
TexLex

Children's Books

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
Has anyone read, "Love You Forever", Robert Munsch? Does it really have a Mom who is a stalker and drives to her son's house with a ladder on top of her car to break in so she can rock her adult son? And the son fondling his elderly mother in a rocking chair?
I seem to think that was voted creepiest book evah a while back. I know a lot of people give it/get it for baby shower gifts. Ugh.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #3018
Secret_Agent_Man
Classified

Children's Books

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
BTW - on the Children's books topics, there have been some books we've gotten (gifts/hand-me-downs) that I've yanked from the shelf for different reasons. Some, because we're not ready to deal with "where is my real mother" yet (so I've put aside "The Story of Babar", where the elephant's Mommy gets killed on page 2 . . . . .

Has anyone read, "Love You Forever", Robert Munsch? Does it really have a Mom who is a stalker and drives to her son's house with a ladder on top of her car to break in so she can rock her adult son? And the son fondling his elderly mother in a rocking chair?
(a) My daughter loves Babar, but that book does take some creative reading. When we read it, the wicked hunter made babr's Mommy fall down, and then the Elephant King was just too sick to be King any more.

(b) The Munsch book sounds creepy -- but the same could be said of the psycho-stalker Mom in "Runaway Bunny." I think we adults just approach these things from a less innocent perspective than kids do and perhaps most people once did. After all, if your parents love you and would never harm you (as little kids should feel) -- how could it be bad to have them around your whole life?

S_A_M

Voted Second Most Helpful Poster on the Politics Board.
Secret_Agent_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #3019
Trepidation_Mom
Spank Jesus

Long time, no post.

Random musings:

Strollers. Got a combi when the Trepidation Kid was born, because it had a fully reclining back and you could slap an infant car-seat into it. It was a great stroller - didn't look that small, but folded up narrowly enough to fit between a radiator and the wall of our hallway and weighed next to nothing. Turned on a dime. Anyhow, what with the Monster Kid (21 mo., 30+ pounds, 35 inches and extremely athletic) having become an escape artist (ripping out straps, wiggling the entire frame enough to let him slip out under the arm rest), the thing is sort of shot. So we got a little MacLaren. It's cute, looks smaller than the Combi when open, folds to about the same size, weighs noticeably more (though apparently not a lot, compared to most strollers) and turns like a pig. Sigh.

Big kids. Went to a local kid hangout with my spawn this weekend, and he and another little boy ran around together and tried to swap half-chewed food. His mother asked how old TK was and I said 21 months, she sort of looked at me blankly and said her kid was 3 1/2. TK had two inches and probably 10 pounds on him. Damn, he must have been one of those meth-babies y'all were talking about.

Kids' clothes. I have a sibling with closet space, who has become the repository of children's clothing for our extended family. This is extremely convenient. Unfortunately, my relations apparently have crappy taste in childrens' clothing, so I still have to supplement. Mostly with cool T-shirts, though. And, on a related topic, my sibling's kid (the eldest boy, therefore she picks out most of the boys clothing in the collection) is going to spend much of his childhood getting the crap beaten out of him by other kids. I am currently trying to save his sister (the eldest girl) from a lifetime of concealing all childhood photos. All that being said, eBay is totally the way to go. Both for getting rid of outgrown kids clothes and acquiring new crap they will immediately outgrow. (And for maternity clothes, which are obscenely expensive given how long you wear them.) This reminds me that my sister hasn't recycled back to me a 2T Kenneth Cole leather jacket I got her son - I got it 50% because the idea of a 2 year old having a Kenneth Cole leather jacket was just so wrong, and 50% because it was really cute - and my kid can wear it now. No fair. Just because her 3 year old is runty doesn't mean she should hoard the good stuff.

Kids' socks. I have way too much fun putting oddly colored socks on my kid to go the all-white route, but I have discovered that Old Navy socks are durable and may be purchased in bulk. Useful given the apparent inability of the local washeteria to keep socks in pairs. They also get bleach stains on my light towels, so I really need to find a better landromat. Fortunately, a kid wearing one red sock and one green one is pretty cute. (Except at the office "holiday party," I guess.)

Sick kids. Sick kids are Typhoid Mary. They should be quarantined. Away from their parents. I think just expelled my appendix through my nose.

Peanuts. Kids can't be protected from everything, even life-threatening environmental hazards. I'm not so naïve as to say parents should just deal, but anyone who tells me that my kid can't eat a PB&J because someone passing by might encounter a peanut molecule off his breath can stuff it. I strongly take Hank's point, and I suffered from a life-threatening childhood food allergy including dermal contact reactions (which was not outgrown, thank you). That said, even though it is an idiotic slippery slope, I think public schools should adopt anti-peanut policies, if only because bullshit lawsuits should not be paid out of my tax dollars. Parents of allergy-ridden students, however, should be told that the policies as a practical matter are unenforceable by the school, which can, at best, inform all parents of the policy and try to dispose of peanut products it becomes aware of. (Or, ultlimately, they need to just deal.)

Fucking old people. Visited the grandparents in their retirement Nirvana recently. What a friggin' nightmare. Nothing, NOTHING was childproofed. In fact, the whole house was "senior friendly," meaning that if you looked at a door it opened, if you touched a fawcet it gushed forth, and everything was low to the ground. There wasn't a sidewalk in the neighborhood, much less someplace to walk to. God knows the grandparents are not going to disrupt their house (or redesign it) to child-proof. God knows they aren't going to keep an eye on the bairn while "you kids" are present in the same state to do it. God knows they won't just feed the kid what we eat, but instead will insist on feeding him all sorts of horrendous "kid-meal" crap involving soda, fried mystery meat and french fries. God knows they must exercise their grandparently right to claim that Gummy Bears count as a fruit or vegetable. So we spent a week chasing a hyper, bored toddler with full access to the cleaning products in a house with no lock or latch on the door leading to the swimming pool. One night when he escaped from our room, he decided to open two supposedly latched doors to crawl into bed with another houseguest (who had arrived after his bedtime and therefore he had never met), who woke up and said "Um, hi there, shouldn't you go back to bed?" TK reportedly replied "OK!", got under her covers and promptly went right to sleep. She thought this was cute, but it was less cute when his panicked parents woke her up searching the house for him at 4:30 in the morning. I'm still exhausted.
Trepidation_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #3020
sebastian_dangerfield

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trepidation_Mom
Fucking old people. Visited the grandparents in their retirement Nirvana recently. What a friggin' nightmare. Nothing, NOTHING was childproofed. In fact, the whole house was "senior friendly," meaning that if you looked at a door it opened, if you touched a fawcet it gushed forth, and everything was low to the ground. There wasn't a sidewalk in the neighborhood, much less someplace to walk to. God knows the grandparents are not going to disrupt their house (or redesign it) to child-proof. God knows they aren't going to keep an eye on the bairn while "you kids" are present in the same state to do it. God knows they won't just feed the kid what we eat, but instead will insist on feeding him all sorts of horrendous "kid-meal" crap involving soda, fried mystery meat and french fries. God knows they must exercise their grandparently right to claim that Gummy Bears count as a fruit or vegetable. So we spent a week chasing a hyper, bored toddler with full access to the cleaning products in a house with no lock or latch on the door leading to the swimming pool. One night when he escaped from our room, he decided to open two supposedly latched doors to crawl into bed with another houseguest (who had arrived after his bedtime and therefore he had never met), who woke up and said "Um, hi there, shouldn't you go back to bed?" TK reportedly replied "OK!", got under her covers and promptly went right to sleep. She thought this was cute, but it was less cute when his panicked parents woke her up searching the house for him at 4:30 in the morning. I'm still exhausted.
This is really egregious false advertising. I want my 30 seconds back.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #3021
TexLex

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trepidation_Mom
Random musings:

Fucking old people.
I confess I was afraid to read the rest of this paragraph.

I am sick with two (if you count the spouse, 3) sick chidren. It sucks - Mommies can't call in sick. Worse, I have no voice, so "no-no, get down from there!!!" in a whisper doesn't exactly carry a lot of weight. I took #2 to the ped yesterday - ear infection. His first and hopefully last. Even given a week of not eating and barfing what he did eat, he's still gaining weight at an alarming rate. 7mos, almost 26lbs.

ETA: Oh, man...when he learns to walk, I'm gonna need to put this kid on a treadmill: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/...t1/chart01.pdf
Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #3022
ltl/fb

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian_dangerfield
This is really egregious false advertising. I want my 30 seconds back.
Because you wanted to read a long paragraph about fucking old people? You have changed.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #3023
robustpuppy

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Peanuts. Kids can't be protected from everything, even life-threatening environmental hazards. I'm not so naïve as to say parents should just deal, but anyone who tells me that my kid can't eat a PB&J because someone passing by might encounter a peanut molecule off his breath can stuff it. I strongly take Hank's point, and I suffered from a life-threatening childhood food allergy including dermal contact reactions (which was not outgrown, thank you). That said, even though it is an idiotic slippery slope, I think public schools should adopt anti-peanut policies, if only because bullshit lawsuits should not be paid out of my tax dollars. Parents of allergy-ridden students, however, should be told that the policies as a practical matter are unenforceable by the school, which can, at best, inform all parents of the policy and try to dispose of peanut products it becomes aware of. (Or, ultlimately, they need to just deal.)
JFC, what is the big fucking deal about not sending your kid to day care/preschool/school with PB&J? Is there some preordained right to eat a PB&J? Besides, PB&J is a shitty packed lunch because the J soaks through the bread anyway. The only thing worse is a tuna sandwich packed in the same bag as a ripe banana.

If your kid loves PB&J so much, let him eat it for dinner.

This way, parents of kids with peanut allergies won't have to home school their kids. Think about it: given the unexplained rise in peanut allergies, do you really want to create such a large cohort of home-schooled weirdos?

Last edited by robustpuppy; 02-22-2006 at 05:47 PM..
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #3024
ltl/fb

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Besides, PB&J is a shitty packed lunch because the J soaks through the bread anyway.
!!!! Not if you put peanut butter on both pieces of bread. Sadly, I didn't learn this tasty cooking hint until I was babysitting in high school. At the same house, I learned to keep vodka in the freezer.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #3025
TexLex

So.....

How's little Razormouth doing?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #3026
robustpuppy

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
!!!! Not if you put peanut butter on both pieces of bread. Sadly, I didn't learn this tasty cooking hint until I was babysitting in high school. At the same house, I learned to keep vodka in the freezer.
Kids with peanut allergies should coat their nostrils with jelly as a protective measure.

Mmm, grape snot.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #3027
sebastian_dangerfield

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Because you wanted to read a long paragraph about fucking old people? You have changed.
Ageist.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #3028
robustpuppy

So.....

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
How's little Razormouth doing?
Great. The past couple of weeks have been really packed with developmental milestones. She's getting to be more of a little kid and less of a baby already. Waah!

And she loves tooling 'round the 'burb in this:

Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #3029
ltl/fb

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian_dangerfield
Ageist.
In matters sexual, yes.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #3030
Trepidation_Mom
Spank Jesus

Long time, no post.

Quote:
Fucking old people.
You people have dirty minds.
Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
JFC, what is the big fucking deal about not sending your kid to day care/preschool/school with PB&J?
Maybe my kid is willful and won't eat anything else (an affliction my sister had for about 3 years)? Maybe he's got a babysitter who doesn't know? Maybe we haven't been able to go grocery shopping for 2 weeks and there is nothing else in the house? Maybe we aren't aware that something contains peanuts?

Maybe I forgot?

You can't micromanage the rest of the world. School policy & enforcement notwithstanding, you can't rely on it. Ultimately, one way or the other, you've just got to deal.
Trepidation_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote