LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Ex-Lawyers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 138
0 members and 138 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #46
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

No annoying Google ads here.

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
You are gonna be a partner? That makes the whole Georgia Peach fantasy go from the Wineries of South Oregon to Donald Trump buying Melania. Duuuude. I don't think a hip pair of cords is gonna save you. I am heartbroken.

I would like to be an exlawyer. Has anyone switched to being an FC at a finanical institution? How is the transition?
Fuck me, I've been at this for awhile. And, with well-timed and well-aimed bursts of quality, I've managed to fool some people into thinking I'm good at it, or even like it. The P-word kinda comes up, eventully.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm toying with a business plan to start a distillery. Distiller would be way cooler than lawyer.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #47
NotFromHere
No title

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
Fuck me, I've been at this for awhile. And, with well-timed and well-aimed bursts of quality, I've managed to fool some people into thinking I'm good at it, or even like it. The P-word kinda comes up, eventully.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm toying with a business plan to start a distillery. Distiller would be way cooler than lawyer.
I think winery owner would be better and maybe more lucrative, but that's my dream. You've got some awesome microbrews in Oregon. Maybe microbrewer. Excellent hops are not far from you.
If that bastard had just given me that $340 million powerball ticket.....
Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #48
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
I think winery owner would be better and maybe more lucrative, but that's my dream. You've got some awesome microbrews in Oregon. Maybe microbrewer. Excellent hops are not far from you.
If that bastard had just given me that $340 million powerball ticket.....
If I could go back in time and start over, I'd be doing something in the wine business. As faras actual wineries go, it's gotten pretty crowded. Hard to break in unless you're willing to start reallllly small or have some serious capital.

Oregon microbrewing is even more overcrowded. Maybe with the right niche, but not for me. Now craft distilling, that's just starting to take off...

I'm reading "Brewing Up a Business," by the guy who started Dogfish Brewing in Deleware. Not a bad read.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #49
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Quote:
If I could go back in time and start over, I'd be doing something in the wine business. As faras actual wineries go, it's gotten pretty crowded. Hard to break in unless you're willing to start reallllly small or have some serious capital.

Oregon microbrewing is even more overcrowded. Maybe with the right niche, but not for me. Now craft distilling, that's just starting to take off...

I'm reading "Brewing Up a Business," by the guy who started Dogfish Brewing in Deleware. Not a bad read.
A distillery seems interesting, but don't you have a hell of a ramp up? I mean, you've got to sit on inventory for 8, 10, 12 years before you sell your first bottle.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #50
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
A distillery seems interesting, but don't you have a hell of a ramp up? I mean, you've got to sit on inventory for 8, 10, 12 years before you sell your first bottle.
Not for vodka. My current daydream involves paying the bills with premium vodka while the high-end brandy rests in oak.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #51
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Not for vodka. My current daydream involves paying the bills with premium vodka while the high-end brandy rests in oak.
There's a new distillery here in Texas called Tito's Handmade Vodka. They seem to be doing rather well. I think that their marketing strategy (similar to local St. Arnold's beer) is to donate a lot of alcohol to fundraisers and galas and the like so people are exposed to it and know what it is.

http://www.titos-vodka.com/

ETA: I like the note that it's the first legal distillery in Texas' history.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79

Last edited by Replaced_Texan; 10-21-2005 at 05:13 PM..
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #52
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
There's a new distillery here in Texas called Tito's Handmade Vodka. They seem to be doing rather well. I think that their marketing strategy (similar to local St. Arnold's beer) is to donate a lot of alcohol to fundraisers and galas and the like so people are exposed to it and know what it is.

http://www.titos-vodka.com/

ETA: I like the note that it's the first legal distillery in Texas' history.
Heard about it. Apparently very good, and doing well. Why am I still lawyerin' again?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #53
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Heard about it. Apparently very good, and doing well. Why am I still lawyerin' again?
More pie.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #54
NotFromHere
No title

Quote:
I was hoping someone who had already done the starting up the vines bit would want a partner or something.
I was recently informed that Clos Pegase is going to donate the winery to charity when the current owners die. Charity??!!??
I'm convinced I would be the better donee even though a donation to me gives no tax benefit.

Maybe I could start a charity. Wine for the poor. Wine for the overworked. Free wine delivery for people working evenings and weekends. Delivered at a perfect 59 degrees and with Reidel glasses. I could make it work.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:45 AM   #55
Diane_Keaton

Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by nytjunkie
Now I get to dodge and weave the stroller around 'em.
*sigh* So now he's fertile, too, making him even more manly and desirable. I heart this man.

:kisscheek
Diane_Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #56
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally posted by LessinSF
More pie.
Are you saying I shouldn't go to law school? I need to know now, before I fill out this stupid LSAT application.